Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Post Counts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My quarterly call for their banishment from the forum.

Justification: Page 1 of the Other Forum!! Oh my God!!

Old 03-24-01, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with Classicman.

(Dear God, I feel so dirty...)
Old 03-24-01, 03:51 AM
Banned

I would also like to see them get abolished ...

That is a major part of this damn_addiction ...

Old 03-24-01, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
not again. I need to copy all my other posts and just cut and paste them everytime this comes up

I am not against putting them into the profile and not on the posts. I do think they serve a purpose in letting people know about how active you are.

too tired to type more

Keep them somewhere!
Old 03-24-01, 09:57 AM

I agree with classicman, do away with them, or put them into the profile, making it harder to see. Too much reading time is taken up with "pad" or other such meaningless posts.
Old 03-24-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
TV Talk has taken a good deal of the interesting threads from the other forum. I think that's part of the problem.

J
Old 03-24-01, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jason
TV Talk has taken a good deal of the interesting threads from the other forum. I think that's part of the problem.

J
I agree with that ...
Old 03-24-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What, without TV there's just nothing interesting to say?

The Otter Farm is the hodge-podge grab bag. Besides TV, there's still a ton of stuff to discuss: personal stories, advice, political and social issues, interesting stuff culled from the 'Net, you name it. Sure, the padding is rampant and content-less posts sometimes flood out everything else, but the Otter Farm is hardly a useless shell without those coveted TV threads!

- David Stein
Old 03-24-01, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by sfsdfd
What, without TV there's just nothing interesting to say?

The Otter Farm is the hodge-podge grab bag. Besides TV, there's still a ton of stuff to discuss: personal stories, advice, political and social issues, interesting stuff culled from the 'Net, you name it. Sure, the padding is rampant and content-less posts sometimes flood out everything else, but the Otter Farm is hardly a useless shell without those coveted TV threads!

- David Stein
You forgot the nudie pics!
Old 03-24-01, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by classicman2
My quarterly call for their banishment from the forum.

Justification: Page 1 of the Other Forum!! Oh my God!!

I'll take my usual stance by supporting any and all efforts to ban post counts. The timing would perfectly coincide with the 'rebirth' of the DVD Talk forum and would help keep these forums interesting.

Has Geoff <b>ever</b> officially responded to this outcry?

-Gonnosuke

Old 03-25-01, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
posting something that has no impact and really doesn't matter much.

isn't that a pad?
Old 03-25-01, 01:00 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
AVS Forum has recently implemented an interesting method of displaying post counts. They don't give the exact number, but a milestone number with a + after it, like "250+ Posts" or "1000+ Posts". And they don't even have a padding problem.

Just an idea...
Old 03-25-01, 01:16 AM
Banned

BAN THEM!! BAN THEM TO H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY STICKS!!

Originally posted by gcribbs
I do think they serve a purpose in letting people know about how active you are.

with all due respect, not anymore.

I say we keep the titles and bad the post counts. I think it's enough to see:

Memeber
DVD Talk Addict
etc...

maybe we should all go start deleting any threads we started that havn't been posted in for a month. Maybe we could help clean this place up a little bit.
Old 03-25-01, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a person who doesn't go to the <b>other forum</b> I kinda like having post counts. It helps identify newbies posting newbie questions in the DVDTalk forum, and it gives status to those that have been here for a while and have contributed to the forum. With post counts I can usually distinguish which posts I consider more important and truthfull, opposed to those who are being sarcastic and just running up their posts counts. There are exceptions to this of course; I just rather read comments by individuals who pick their responses more carefully opposed to those that have 2,000 posts in 3 or 4 months. I know some individuals pad in the other forum, but still contribute to the other forums without padding there.

If the padding that occurs in the <b>other forum</b> ever spreads and runs rampant outside that forum then I would agree with aboilishing post counts. The <b>other forum</b> is known for being crazy and beyond explanation, so if you don't like it don't go in there. I know there are political threads and a few other topics that are worthy, but the majority of the threads in there are just pointless and full of padding.

Like someone else said, some people consider post counts part of the addiction of DVDTalk, so I don't think Geoff is gonna run off people just because a few people don't like having post counts. Just because individuals don't contribute to forums outside the <b>other forum</b> doesn't mean they don't use Geoff's links to make him money, and refer other individuals who might bring good conversation.

For now, long live post counts!
Old 03-25-01, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Bust

maybe we should all go start deleting any threads we started that havn't been posted in for a month. Maybe we could help clean this place up a little bit.
well, I started deleting some of my old threads...
I already knocked 75 posts off of my count (and I'm sure many others).

Thread deleters - UNITE!!
Old 03-25-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVDjunkie21
As a person who doesn't go to the <b>other forum</b> I kinda like having post counts. It helps identify newbies posting newbie questions in the DVDTalk forum, and it gives status to those that have been here for a while and have contributed to the forum. With post counts I can usually distinguish which posts I consider more important and truthfull, opposed to those who are being sarcastic and just running up their posts counts. There are exceptions to this of course; I just rather read comments by individuals who pick their responses more carefully opposed to those that have 2,000 posts in 3 or 4 months. I know some individuals pad in the other forum, but still contribute to the other forums without padding there.

If the padding that occurs in the <b>other forum</b> ever spreads and runs rampant outside that forum then I would agree with aboilishing post counts. The <b>other forum</b> is known for being crazy and beyond explanation, so if you don't like it don't go in there. I know there are political threads and a few other topics that are worthy, but the majority of the threads in there are just pointless and full of padding.

Like someone else said, some people consider post counts part of the addiction of DVDTalk, so I don't think Geoff is gonna run off people just because a few people don't like having post counts. Just because individuals don't contribute to forums outside the <b>other forum</b> doesn't mean they don't use Geoff's links to make him money, and refer other individuals who might bring good conversation.

For now, long live post counts!
This is why I also agree with post counts staying at least on the profile. new members can outpost me everyday but combined with my join date at least people can see how active or not i am. I do not just post in Other although after learning about the Other Forum my post counts have increased. If someone provides help to someone or trys to they at least can see they have been around and been active.

I know people think the problems with threads they do not like start and end with post counts. I do not think this is true. I believe the things people dislike would remain. People will always do things to make others angry or bother others.

Let us go to the subject of banned members- they often come back and create the smae problems over and over again do they do this because of post counts- no because they like to bother other people or are losers. would all threads be witty and intelligent with the elimination of post counts- of course not then what do we change next. filters to eliminate threads or posts that do not contribute.

Maybe we can split the Other forum into two- one would be called Witty and Intelligent Forum- this one would only allow political and posts deemed worthy of that forum. The rest would go to the Not Witty Enough and Mature forum this would allow pad threads and nude pics. of course no posts made in this forum would add to senority at Dvdtalk.com nor would it add to your post counts if they remained.

How has Bushdog's challenge gone?

Did you post in the threads generated by the challenge?

I guess most should by now understand where i am coming from- Keep post counts somewhere so that members can get to them and see them. Where they are is fine for me but in the profile if that is deemed necessary by Geoff.

[Edited by gcribbs on 03-25-01 at 11:35 AM]
Old 03-25-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We discussed this also before- I know if you start a thread and then delete it I do believe that people will be less willing in the future to post in your threads. I know I will think twice about ever doing it. sometimes we say things that actually are worth while. I have seen people point to older threads to show why a joke was made or to explain a current conversation.

I guess the threads were worthless to begin with and nothing said in them was worthy of existance. I hope others feel that way and do not feel as maybe a new member might that everytime they post they will get their posts deleted so why post

I would hate to see this go on because i do think this post count warfare - which it will turn into i bet will drive even more people away.

I am sorry to hear this is being done and promoted
Old 03-25-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As grcibbs alluded to, if those threads were simply pad threads, with no (or very little) substance/use to them, then that's fine. However, if they were not, then you should not do it. Threads with useful information are useful whether they're 10 days old, or 10 months old. I know that I, personally, do searches on the forums for older titles that haven't been talked about lately to see what the quality of older discs is. I find that helpful. I also do searches for other topics (i.e. check previous posts on a certain e-tailer I have never shopped at before, but are considering buying from for the first time.

To All: Please don't delete your old threads unless they are totally useless, pure pad threads.
Old 03-25-01, 03:17 PM
Banned

I know if you start a thread and then delete it I do believe that people will be less willing in the future to post in your threads. I know I will think twice about ever doing it.
Good. I intend to hold you to that.
Old 03-25-01, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know if you start a thread and then delete it I do believe that people will be less willing in the future to post in your threads. I know I will think twice about ever doing it.
Good. I intend to hold you to that.
Have I even posted in your threads in the past?

I assumed you were having some fun with your holding me to it response. I sure hope I have not made you angry by my feeling that the action that you are taking is an incorrect one.

I guess if you really would prefer i never respond to you in a thread i will respect your wishes or if i think twice and post do i just have to tell you i thought twice

Maybe I am just overthinking or underthinking your response to me

oh well
Old 03-25-01, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk God

For those that believe that the elimination of post counts will not alter certain posting patterns, I say let's put it to the test. Let's do away with them for 6 months. I believe the difference (especially in the Other Forum) will be quite noticeable.

[Edited by classicman2 on 03-25-01 at 03:51 PM]
Old 03-25-01, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by classicman2
For those that believe that the elimination of post counts will not alter certain posting patterns, I say let's put it to the test. Let's do away with them for 6 months. I believe the difference (especially in the Other Forum) will be quite noticeable.

[Edited by classicman2 on 03-25-01 at 03:51 PM]
I just think the post count needs to be moved to the profile not eliminated. I do think it has a value.

But to be honest with you if Geoff wanted to remove it then fine. It is his website.
Old 03-25-01, 09:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gonnosuke
Has Geoff <b>ever</b> officially responded to this outcry?
Originally posted by gkleinman
There's already quite a bit of tension between the 2 camps (Post Count v. No Post Counts), I don't want to start doing something that makes it worse.

To reiterate our "pad" rule - We do not permit users inflating their post count by hijacking threads with random and off topic posts.. We do permit silly and often meanlingless threads where people can post to, probably for the purpose of inflating thier post count, but also to be silly and fun (ie Word Association, Congrats on Your....)

Padders - Be warned that padding is a gift that is not to be abused. If you want to pad and just can't contain yourself then BE CREATIVE. Some of the more fun pad threads have been some of the more memorable ones on the Other Forum (ie the Altered Moorhead Thread, or Picture Association).

Non Padders - I know, I know it can get annoying, but I tell you a balance can be met.
Old 03-26-01, 10:51 AM
Retired

Post counts need to go, or the other forum needs to be split just like dvd talk was. Look how much better than forum is now. The is no, and will be no, balance there unless something is done.
Old 03-26-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Me no likey the post counts

Some of the people who I used to notice padding their post counts have slowed down, but it seems like others have stepped up. Check out DesmondP in this thread (as an example, not an attack on him): http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=94307 . 7 one line posts in under two minutes, back to back-- that's the sort of thing that's REAL fun to scroll through.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.