Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

new Digital Video Recording site open...

Old 03-18-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://DVRTalk.com

I'm posting this here because the DVD Talk forum has always seemed to be a "general" discussion forum for anything home-entertainment driven, but if its wrong move it.

DVDTalk seems to only marginally cover TV in general, and while the "DVD & Home Theater Hardware" forum does seem to occasionally touch on the subject of Digital Video Recording devices, it doesn't really serve very well in that capacity for in-depth questions because they get buried amongst all of the questions about "what is the best TV to buy" or the best receiver or the best DVD player, etc.

I don't run this new site, DVRTalk.com, but I've frequented it since it opened and it seems like a good idea... not so much a competitor to DVDTalk as much as a service that may be of interest to many of the same people who surf here, but only as a complement since DVD and DVR are very different technologies.

If you think this kind of up-front invitiation to a site is some kind of breach of DVDTalk protocol, blame me and not Jason, the guy who runs DVRTalk. I've posted this on my own because the site seems like a cool idea and I'd like to see it succeed. I figure that being up front about saying this will spare the flamers who appoint themselves "DVDTalk cops" and will inevitably scream and yell bloody murder at any perceived attempt to "influence" DVDTalkers (and how insulting is that to the rest of you, who they presume can't think for yourselves?).

Anyhow, I'm writing long and going off-topic. Visit http://DVRTalk.com if you own, plan on buying or are just interested in devices like Tivo, ReplayTV, Ultimate TV, WebTV or DishPlayer.

One more thing... the name of the site was originally UltimateTVTalk.com and according to Jason has recently been changed to DVRTalk.com to accomodate a request by Microsoft. The flip side of surrendering this name is that Microsoft and the companies who make the hardware will apparently be very cooperative to answering questions and concerns which come from the forum.

[Edited by jhlurie on 03-18-01 at 11:44 AM]
Old 03-18-01, 02:57 PM
Banned

I'll take this post as a request of a Tivo/Replay Forum request (wink, wink Geoff).

Moving to Feedback & Suggestion Forum for Geoff's review.

[Edited by Kenwood on 03-18-01 at 12:00 PM]
Old 03-18-01, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A new forum here is certainly always a possibility, but it would never be more than a niche... an afterthought. Many of the same folks who frequent DVDTalk own or will buy DVR devices, but its not really the same community.

It would be like expecting an MP3 forum to flourish here (a mistake that Jason himself seems to have made on DVRTalk was to make an MP3 forum, which proves my point because its gotten exactly zero posts). We all know that a lot of DVD users are into MP3 technology, but would you seriously consider turning DVDTalk into DVDTalkandMP3talk.com? I think the same is true of DVR technology since it is used to record TV and cable broadcasts and cannot record off of DVDs. DVD and DVR are mutually exclusive, but of interest to similar types of people. So you COULD discuss it here, but would you WANT to operate a niche?