Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Ad for DVD Piracy

Old 08-11-19, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Ad for DVD Piracy

I'm seeing lots of ads for DVDFab showing up, which is a product (service?) that lets you copy DVDs. They tout it as being for backing up your DVDs, but let's be honest; it's for pirating.

I assume since discussion of pirating DVDs is forbidden here, you equally probably don't want this ad.

Edit: I see this is being discussed in the Song of the South thread. Feel free to lock/delete/whatever this thread if you have the info you need.
Old 08-12-19, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Re: Ad for DVD Piracy

Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm seeing lots of ads for DVDFab showing up, which is a product (service?) that lets you copy DVDs. They tout it as being for backing up your DVDs, but let's be honest; it's for pirating.

I assume since discussion of pirating DVDs is forbidden here, you equally probably don't want this ad.

Edit: I see this is being discussed in the Song of the South thread. Feel free to lock/delete/whatever this thread if you have the info you need.
The DVDFab ads are pretty much ALL I'm seeing these days.
Old 08-12-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Me too, at the top of every single page. It's ok though, it's not this website's fault or the advertisers' fault, we're being told that it's our own fault because apparently we are all doing Google searches for how to copy DVDs.
Old 08-12-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,430 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The DVDFab ads are pretty much ALL I'm seeing these days.
I'm also seeing an ad for a different DVD ripper.

Originally Posted by cultshock
Me too, at the top of every single page. It's ok though, it's not this website's fault or the advertisers' fault, we're being told that it's our own fault because apparently we are all doing Google searches for how to copy DVDs.
I'm glad it isn't referencing what I really search for.
Old 08-12-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
That was my takeaway as well.
Old 08-12-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I'm also seeing an ad for a different DVD ripper.

I'm glad it isn't referencing what I really search for.
I hear you!

Originally Posted by davidh777
That was my takeaway as well.

Yep, in the Song of the South thread, DVDTalk is pretty much accusing us of googling ways to illegally copy DVDs and that's why the ads are showing up for us. Classy.

Of course, they'll probably remove my post like they have with other posts of mine when I try to call them out on something. In the SotS thread I originally posted that I wasn't surprised that those illegal Song of the South DVD ads were there because we used to see DVD ripping ads. My post was removed, and shortly after the ripping ads started showing up again. I would LOVE to see an explanation of all that. It's especially galling because for the 17 years I've been here I've constantly seen members getting in trouble for talking about ripping DVDs and now these ads appearing are our fault?
Old 08-12-19, 01:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Yep. Constantly seeing the DVDFab ads. And they're not GoogleAds (or AdChoices or whatever the fuck) because they don't have an X next to them.

Super classy.

BTW, if any of you want to rip your 4K UHD discs using UHD-friendly disc drives, the best software is _____________________ and it's 100% free.
Old 08-12-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

And now I am getting it. Likely because it was mentioned in the thread. I've seen ads based on thread content before.
​​​​​​