Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Character Limit / Post Length?

Old 10-20-18, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Character Limit / Post Length?

Does DVD Talk have a character limit per post? I keep having problems with edits not saving in my October Horror Movie Challenge post unless I delete a lot of stuff (on my list), probably need to clean up my formatting but I don't think the list is any long than past years. Not sure what is going on. When I push 'save' it seems to be proceeding ok but then just goes to a blank webpage and ends up not saving.
Old 10-20-18, 10:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Character Limit / Post Length?

There’s definitely an image limit, and each emoji counts as an image. That’s why Ben and others always need multiple posts for their list.
Old 10-20-18, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
There’s definitely an image limit, and each emoji counts as an image. That’s why Ben and others always need multiple posts for their list.
Thank you. I am aware of the image limit but didnt realize emojis factored in. Although I only have one image and no emojis (stars I do use are character/ascci based). Same format as last year.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-20-18 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
Does DVD Talk have a character limit per post? I keep having problems with edits not saving in my October Horror Movie Challenge post unless I delete a lot of stuff (on my list), probably need to clean up my formatting but I don't think the list is any long than past years. Not sure what is going on. When I push 'save' it seems to be proceeding ok but then just goes to a blank webpage and ends up not saving.
Could you send your full post text to [email protected]?

Don't worry about formatting or anything, I'm going to test some stuff out.
Old 10-22-18, 12:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I vaguely recall a thread where it was mentioned that the stars do count against the limit.
Old 10-22-18, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Could you send your full post text to [email protected]?

Don't worry about formatting or anything, I'm going to test some stuff out.
Thank you, I sent the post test to you.

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I vaguely recall a thread where it was mentioned that the stars do count against the limit.
Thank you, that would be a seems like a solution - however it seems like if I remove the subset, theme, and checklist content it fixes the problem and allows me to keep my stars adding more. This problem happened earlier on when I copied the checklist with all it's hyperlinks and removing the hyperlinks allowed me to post more content until recently. Now removing the checklist, subset, and theme stuff lets me post more for now but I suspect will again give me problems. Since changes to text length, not ascci stars, seem to temporarily solve the problem I suspected there might be a character limit per post. The post is probably obnoxiously long, but it seems like movie list posts sometimes tend to be.
Old 10-24-18, 03:51 PM

Apparently there is a 10k character limit for posts and I was trying to go up to 17k; some people 'talk' too much.