Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Weird glitch

Old 04-19-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weird glitch

I made the last post on page 5 of this thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk...-playoffs.html

Others posted after that right away and the main page showed that thread then had 6 pages, but when I click on the page 6 link from the main page, page 5 comes up and it does not show that there's a page 6 inside the thread. If I log out, I can get to page 6 just fine. If I log back in, no page 6. Weird.
Old 04-20-16, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Weird glitch

^^ This is happening to me too, although in a slightly different form. I posted in the Blu-ray Bargains subforum, in the GoHastings thread early this morning at 12:20 or so. When I go to the actual thread, my post isn't there. When I go to "Find more posts by rbrown498," it shows that I made the post, but when I click on the link to get to it, it takes me back to the thread and it's not there. If you look at the last post made in that thread on the forum page, it shows that BobO'Link posted at 7:55, but I can't see that reply either. The last post that shows for me is one from PhantomStranger at 7:26 last night. It's post #2300 in the thread.

Any ideas?
Old 04-20-16, 08:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Could just be the regular deleted posts bug that happens all the time.

But possibly another issue discussed in another feedback thread yesterday.
Old 04-20-16, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I made the last post on page 5 of this thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk...-playoffs.html

Others posted after that right away and the main page showed that thread then had 6 pages, but when I click on the page 6 link from the main page, page 5 comes up and it does not show that there's a page 6 inside the thread. If I log out, I can get to page 6 just fine. If I log back in, no page 6. Weird.
I currently see 7 pages in that thread.

More importantly, "pages" is dependent on a user's settings. The better measure is post #.

Last post I see at the moment is #161 made at 1:54 PT today.
Old 04-21-16, 10:24 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^
Respectfully, the number of pages is irrelevant.
This happens when there are only 1 or 2 (maybe 3) new posts on a new page. In the post in question, since you say there are 161 posts, it's above that limit for users who see 25 per page, and you won't see the glitch. If there were only 151 or 153 posts, you might see the glitch.

I see this happen in nearly every thread lately. As soon as there's a new page, the only way to see the first 1, 2, or 3 posts on that page is to click on the "Go Advanced" button (and scroll down to see previous posts) or log out completely. Once there's a 3rd or 4th post on that page, the page is then fully visible again.
Old 04-21-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^
Respectfully, the number of pages is irrelevant.
This happens when there are only 1 or 2 (maybe 3) new posts on a new page. In the post in question, since you say there are 161 posts, it's above that limit for users who see 25 per page, and you won't see the glitch. If there were only 151 or 153 posts, you might see the glitch.

I see this happen in nearly every thread lately. As soon as there's a new page, the only way to see the first 1, 2, or 3 posts on that page is to click on the "Go Advanced" button (and scroll down to see previous posts) or log out completely. Once there's a 3rd or 4th post on that page, the page is then fully visible again.
Yes this. In my description I was using pages to help describe it, but the point was my post was the last one shown in the thread even though new posts had been made.
Old 04-21-16, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Not sure what to do about this, since I cannot reproduce it. I guess, PM me when you see it happening live, and I'll go look. Definitely not happening for me.

When you do report it, please:

1. Clear your cache and see if it still happens
2. Turn off plugins and look again
3. Still happening? Tell me your device type and browser type (and if you're using the mobile skin, say that).

Thanks.
Old 04-21-16, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just happened right now in the same thread referenced in my original post. I took two screenshots to help explain the issue that you can get to here:
http://imgur.com/a/kEnEX

They're in the wrong order, but notice I'm hovered over the "Last Page" link in the second one and it shows at the bottom linking to page 9. Also notice it shows the last post is by astrochimp.

The first image shows what I get when I click the "Last Page" link. Notice it's on page 8 and the last post is not by astrochimp (his post is on the unobtainable page 9).

I'm on a Chromebook with Google Chrome.

Last edited by kefrank; 04-21-16 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 05:27 PM
Administrator

I'll look into it.
Old 04-23-16, 10:51 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Could just be the regular deleted posts bug that happens all the time.
This can happen if say a spammer comes in and posts gibberish and some posts get deleted by mods. It throws the thread off for a bit.
Old 04-25-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen this glitch as well. It only happens, as Dan said, when there are a few posts on a new page. I have my pages set to 40 posts per page, so it would happen with post 41, 81, 121, etc. very weird.