DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Bumping Threads (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/619888-bumping-threads.html)

mhg83 05-05-14 09:39 PM

Bumping Threads

Have noticed in the past week or two there have been a few threads bumped. I don't see a problem with this as long as there's an update. Mods have now been locking these threads. The most recent being:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ction-day.html

And that bump was relevant to the thread and it gets locked???

So what's the deal here? We haven't had a problem with thread bumps before and most never resulted in a lock.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 05-05-14 09:49 PM

Re: Bumping Threads

Start new thread, get yelled at for not using search. Bump old thread related to a comment and get moderated. /shrug

The Cow 05-05-14 10:03 PM

It's mostly the bumping of an old thread without commenting on the bump article.

"Someone" previously liked to start threads without commenting on his/her post and got "mod noted" about it. Now he/she bumps old threads instead and does the same thing. :shrug:

story 05-05-14 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man (Post 12098178)
Start new thread, get yelled at for not using search. Bump old thread related to a comment and get moderated. /shrug

Exactly! Thank you. :banana:

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12098197)
It's mostly the bumping of an old thread without commenting on the bump article.

"Someone" previously liked to start threads without commenting on his/her post and got "mod noted" about it. Now he/she bumps old threads instead and does the same thing. :shrug:

:sad: Oh. Yeah, this, too.

"Both, and..." situation.

covenant 05-05-14 10:38 PM

I'm seeing a trend...

Cardsfan111 05-05-14 10:41 PM

I don't have many examples, but I don't think you can say these bumps are relevant. In most cases, it seems as if they're loosely connected at best. The example given in the OP, which was locked, bears that out. A random post about an ebay auction was tacked on to the end of a 2006 thread about another ebay auction. Hardly a reason to resurrect an old thread, in my opinion.

Obi-Wanma 05-05-14 10:43 PM

^And it's a pattern with that particular poster, and he was recently warned about it.

whotony 05-05-14 11:01 PM

It's penguin joe.
Is his name unmentionable or something

PhantomStranger 05-05-14 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 12098242)
I don't have many examples, but I don't think you can say these bumps are relevant. In most cases, it seems as if they're loosely connected at best. The example given in the OP, which was locked, bears that out. A random post about an ebay auction was tacked on to the end of a 2006 thread about another ebay auction. Hardly a reason to resurrect an old thread, in my opinion.

+1

It's fun seeing a very old thread getting bumped once in a blue moon, but it becomes tedious when it happens on a weekly basis.

Though to be honest, this entire site isn't a hotbed of fast-paced discussion at the moment, lessening the crime. It would have been a more serious problem during DVDTalk's halcyon days.

Pharoh 05-06-14 07:13 AM

Since I locked the thread, I will comment.

Can you point to a recent mod comment, in the Other section of the forum at least, where a poster was "yelled" at for not searching and using an existing thread?

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 12098242)

Exactly. These bumps are "related" in name only. The topics are very different in actuality, and are very well deserving of their own threads. And it should be pointed out, that I did split off a few of these unrelated bumped threads into their own threads, but I am not going to keep doing that.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12098297)
+1

It's fun seeing a very old thread getting bumped once in a blue moon, but it becomes tedious when it happens on a weekly basis.

Though to be honest, this entire site isn't a hotbed of fast-paced discussion at the moment, lessening the crime. It would have been a more serious problem during DVDTalk's halcyon days.

It is more than tedious, it is annoying and doesn't necessarily foster discussion, at least on the intended subject of the bump. Start a new thread and comment on it. Discussion.

Also, since the forum isn't a hotbed of activity, we could use the new threads, comments, and discussion. If it really is the same topic, such as the update on the Amanda Knox case for example, bump it. Otherwise, start a new thread.

kd5 05-06-14 07:22 AM

I've never understood the outrage at not searching for some old thread from 10 or 15 years ago and bumping it just to add a like comment or issue. When I'm reading through the forums and see a relevant thread I'd like to read thinking it's current then finding out the thread was originally from 2004, it gets frustrating. I can see how an individual who's been around for that long might get a charge out of seeing an old topic get bumped for the nostalgia factor, but it gets tedious when you forget to look at the date of the thread to find out it's not actually current, except for maybe the bumping post, which oftentimes isn't even relevant. So why the outrage at not searching for some antiquated POS thread to bump whenever you want to start a new thread about something? Just so the forum doesn't get overrun with threads? Wowsa...:rolleyes:

Pharoh 05-06-14 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 12098422)
I've never understood the outrage at not searching for some old thread from 10 or 15 years ago and bumping it just to add a like comment or issue. When I'm reading through the forums and see a relevant thread I'd like to read thinking it's current then finding out the thread was originally from 2004, it gets frustrating. I can see how an individual who's been around for that long might get a charge out of seeing an old topic get bumped for the nostalgia factor, but it gets tedious when you forget to look at the date of the thread to find out it's not actually current, except for maybe the bumping post, which oftentimes isn't even relevant. So why the outrage at not searching for some antiquated POS thread to bump whenever you want to start a new thread about something? Just so the forum doesn't get overrun with threads? Wowsa...:rolleyes:

Agreed.

wishbone 05-06-14 08:05 AM

The converse in this discussion is that he created a Florida Behaving Badly thread and then creates new threads for "Florida man arrested for having sex with pit bull in yard", "FL Woman performs C-section on dog, closes incision with glue (guess the state...FL!)", "Pregnant Florida woman goes on crack binge chews off umbilical cord", and "Florida woman arrested for killing animals in animal torture videos."

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 12039142)
Though this is a great thread, if we don't shut down every thread where Penguinjoe posts a story and no comment, then he won't learn nothin'

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 12039163)
I like to plant seeds and watch them grow.

DVD Talk's Johnny Appleseed he is not.

RoyalTea 05-06-14 09:17 AM

I wonder if he really does come back to watch his seeds grow. If he did, he'd probably notice the # of threads he starts or bumps that get locked and might understand that he probably shouldn't continue doing the same thing over and over and over.

TomOpus 05-06-14 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 12098488)
I wonder if he really does come back to watch his seeds grow. If he did, he'd probably notice the # of threads he starts or bumps that get locked and might understand that he probably shouldn't continue doing the same thing over and over and over.

He probably notices but why should he change? He gets all these mod warnings but no action is taken other than closing an already old thread.

Mike86 05-06-14 02:58 PM

Yep. Frankly I agree with this. Sometimes if I know I've seen a topic before and it's from a long time ago and I'd like to discuss it I'll bump a thread just because. It's either that or get some of the uppity members bitching at you for not using the search function so whatever.

OldBoy 05-06-14 04:45 PM

that's 2 down!

TomOpus 05-06-14 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12098521)
He probably notices but why should he change? He gets all these mod warnings but no action is taken other than closing an already old thread.

I now stand corrected.

Norm de Plume 05-06-14 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh (Post 12098428)
Agreed.

x2

Shannon Nutt 05-06-14 05:39 PM

Yep...I saw all the locks and was wondering, "Are they locking them because people are bumping old threads?" I, too, thought that was the preferred method. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't around here. :(

Groucho 05-06-14 05:58 PM

-- Starting a new thread when there is already a thread on the front page: no-no
-- Bumping a 10 year old thread to add a tangentially related comment: no-no

Basic rule of thumb: use common sense.

Supermallet 05-06-14 07:14 PM

Also 90% of the "you should have done a search!" comments come from other members, not the moderators.

I think we can agree that Penguin Joe was not fostering discussion regardless of whether he was starting new threads or bumping old ones.

Groucho 05-06-14 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12099158)
Also 90% of the "you should have done a search!" comments come from other members, not the moderators.

True. I generally just do a merge.

auto 05-07-14 07:40 AM

I kind of like reading the old threads he would bump but obviously I'm in the minority in that it never really bothered me.

Trevor 05-07-14 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 12099565)
I kind of like reading the old threads he would bump but obviously I'm in the minority in that it never really bothered me.

Yep, as long as it was even remotely related I much prefer thread bumps than new threads. But then, I like living in the past.....

Cardsfan111 05-07-14 09:01 AM

I have wondered whether members who have long since left the site, but have enabled e-mail notifications, are surprised when they suddenly receive a thread activity notice.

davidh777 05-07-14 09:21 AM

I find merges confusing because there's often a disjointed flow to the conversation. :shrug:

TomOpus 05-07-14 09:23 AM

It's interesting to spot names you haven't seen in years.

I also get surprised to see members who are still suspended... years after the suspension started. I thought that suspensions were temporary. Unless there are permanent suspensions why not just ban the person?

Cardsfan111 05-07-14 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12099633)
I also get surprised to see members who are still suspended... years after the suspension started. I thought that suspensions were temporary. Unless there are permanent suspensions why not just ban the person?

I always assumed that the suspended person never returned. That perhaps if they logged in, their privileges would automatically be restored. I have nothing to base this assumption on. Perhaps someone else with experience can shed some light on this. ;)

TomOpus 05-07-14 09:31 AM

RoyalTea 05-07-14 10:16 AM

My biggest peeve about bumped threads is I don't always normally assume it's a bumped thread. Sometimes, I find myself quoting and responding to someone and realizing that they haven't posted here in years.

I don't think that the forum software could do this, but I'd love it if it was possible for bumped threads to change the color of older posts if there's a significant amount of lapsed time between the old posts and the bump.

Trevor 05-07-14 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 12099686)
My biggest peeve about bumped threads is I don't always normally assume it's a bumped thread. Sometimes, I find myself quoting and responding to someone and realizing that they haven't posted here in years.

But why does that even matter? I don't look at this post, for example, as being specific to you and I; every post in every thread 'belongs' to the community-at-large, the individuals don't really matter.

Even if the person you're quoting never sees your post, your post is just as relevant to the thread as any other post.

VinVega 05-07-14 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12099646)

I think it was probably a case of poster was suspended for a month let's say. Both the poster and the mods forgot about it and the poster's status never changed because they never tried to come back.

TomOpus 05-07-14 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 12099926)
I think it was probably a case of poster was suspended for a month let's say. Both the poster and the mods forgot about it and the poster's status never changed because they never tried to come back.

Ah okay. I just assumed at the end of the given suspension time, it would automatically come off.

VinVega 05-07-14 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12100014)
Ah okay. I just assumed at the end of the given suspension time, it would automatically come off.

There's no timer per se. You have to remember to unsuspend.

davidh777 05-07-14 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12099747)
But why does that even matter? I don't look at this post, for example, as being specific to you and I; every post in every thread 'belongs' to the community-at-large, the individuals don't really matter.

Even if the person you're quoting never sees your post, your post is just as relevant to the thread as any other post.

It's a valid point. Sometimes I start to respond then stop when I realize the thread is five years old. That doesn't mean my point is invalid, but... it just feels funny, I guess.

Dan 05-08-14 03:46 PM

If anyone's got some bread or bread-like puns, I know a thread that's just RYE-ing to get bumped again...

GoldenJCJ 05-09-14 07:56 AM

Every once in a while I think about bumping that "Do you ever feel like a thread killer..." thread but then decide it's best to keep that thread dead.

whotony 05-18-14 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by midoelrayek (Post 12110263)
thanks

Irony