Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

VG talk Fan boys and console wars

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

VG talk Fan boys and console wars

Old 11-07-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: VG talk Fan boys and console wars

cernytub.gif

I love that there's a thread committed to trying to get me banned that I didn't know about until today (thanks Dan). After 13 years of politely discussing politics, evolution, abortion ect., it turns out that it's video games that people get worked up about.

I stand by everything I've ever posted being non-personal and factual to the best of my knowledge, and I defy anybody to find otherwise. I also think any reasonable review of actual posts (mine and others) as opposed to complaints will show that I take a heck of a lot more than I give and that some threads tolerate constructive criticism and others simply don't.

As Groucho said, we're all adults, and it would be nice if we could treat each other with a bit of respect. For those who don't know, I don't post with anonymity (Chess is my actual name), and I'm 41 years old as of yesterday. I treat people with courtesy and would hope for the same, but there are a few who I've had to put on ignore because they habitually attack me personally rather than what I say, including several above. I've discussed it with the mods via PM rather than in the forum, as I assume is expected.

At any rate, consoles will be out in a minute, and we'll have games to talk about, and I'm back to avoiding the Xbox thread, so there's that.
Old 11-07-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I do find it mildly amusing that chess basically gave up posting here in a big huff, said he was going to go post at another forum that is very supportive of what he wants, but then was right back doing the same shit less than a week later. It's obnoxious, but I've tuned most of it out. Having said that, he's back doing exactly what he was doing before in the same thread. So I guess nothing lasts forever.

I'm probably one of the one's being ignored since chess avoided replying to my post, but I have to chuckle at trumpeting being adults with respect and courtesy while ignoring the part about the constant gifs and memes and previous behavior mentioned above while criticizing the moderation for being "majority rules" or deliberately and admittedly trolling a poll. At least own up to it and not act like you've been completely innocent this entire time.

And I mentioned this before, but the impression that the Xbox thread is less tolerant of constructive criticism is skewed only because of who that criticism is constantly coming from, and the fact that the console has obviously had more controversial news then the Playstation by nature.

I don't think anyone should be banned or suspended, and the discussion hasn't been that bad and has settled down considerably since Microsoft reversed a lot of policies. I just wish people followed L&O's example of changing their approach when it's clear people are getting irked at certain behavior.

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-07-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

I'm not pushing for anyone to be banned, suspended, or much of anything else. I absolutely agree that things have been really civil. A couple of people who I thought were being too aggressive have reined themselves in, so I think the list of "combatants" has gotten even smaller recently.

My preference is that the "what console are you getting?" thread be the battleground, if you want to call it that, for the console war. The Xbox One thread would be news/information/reactions/etc. from people who are interested in that console, and the PS4 thread would serve the same purpose for that console. The console-specific threads shouldn't be mindless celebrations: y'know, they should cover the good, the bad, and the ugly. They should be well-rounded discussions, and the shortcomings should be addressed as well.

When you have someone who focuses just about exclusively on good news for one console and just about exclusively on bad news for the other, I feel like that gets in the way of the discussion. When reply after reply after reply is basically saying "this is why your console doesn't stack up", the discussion turns away from the posts and instead towards the poster. Even if it's not worded in a way that sounds like gloating, that's absolutely how it comes across.

Look at it this way. Community and The Big Bang Theory used to air opposite each other, didn't they? Let's say that I go into the weekly BBT threads and continually reply to people pointing out the shortcomings of that show and raving about how much better Community is. After a while, wouldn't you say "we get it! You go watch Community. We'll keep watching Big Bang Theory." One of those critical posts in a vacuum may be perfectly fine, but the cumulative effect is a disruption.

I like chess. I think he posts a lot of useful stuff. I appreciate schadenfreude as much as anyone too, and this really is the most interesting console launch since...well, ever. I just think his presence in the Xbox One thread does more harm than good. (There are people I would've said the same about for the PS4 thread, but I think that's mellowed out.)
Old 11-07-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping that after the 15th, chess will be so preoccupied with his precious that he won't have time to troll the Xbox threads anymore.
Old 11-07-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I like chess. I think he posts a lot of useful stuff. I appreciate schadenfreude as much as anyone too, and this really is the most interesting console launch since...well, ever. I just think his presence in the Xbox One thread does more harm than good. (There are people I would've said the same about for the PS4 thread, but I think that's mellowed out.)
And I think that's fair. If it was schadenfreude for me, it wasn't intended to be at the expense of other posters but rather at a company who tried to pull a fast one.

I am absolutely fascinated by the decisions MS has made leading up to this launch, and I'd love to be able to talk candidly about it without people getting angry, but I also recognize that isn't going to be possible for me. I can't wait until the post mortem book/article, because you know there are some great stories in there, but to the extent that I want to talk about all that, I have other outlets.

It would be funny to go back to the last tandem launch of Wii and PS3 and see me arguing for the Wii, because I'm absolutely certain that was the case.
Old 11-07-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
If it was schadenfreude for me, it wasn't intended to be at the expense of other posters but rather at a company who tried to pull a fast one.
Right. I didn't word it as well as I should've, but that's what I meant. (Maybe not the "fast one" part, but that's another post. )
Old 11-07-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

When you have someone who focuses just about exclusively on good news for one console and just about exclusively on bad news for the other, I feel like that gets in the way of the discussion. When reply after reply after reply is basically saying "this is why your console doesn't stack up", the discussion turns away from the posts and instead towards the poster. Even if it's not worded in a way that sounds like gloating, that's absolutely how it comes across.
Old 11-07-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really surprised by this thread.

Checking the VG forum it seems that mhg83 is pro-Sony. So maybe his intent with this thread was different to what some think here.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong in that forum.

Some history, that forum has been heavily Xbox based. Meaning most of the posters there have an Xbox and/or it's its main console. There's a minority of PS3 users and a couple of Nintendo fans.

With the new consoles some Xbox users are jumping ship. So it's starting to get more even. The new consoles haven't been released yet, so we don't know if that's going to show in the games threads.

I'm ok with spicing things up a little bit. Sometimes I participate, sometimes I don't. Yes, sometimes is tiring seeing chess and chuck repeating the same things over and over. Personally, I would like their relationship to evolve to the same way chess and discostu relationship evolved, but if it doesn't no problem.

So yeah, I agree with most here, I think, we don't need any change in the mods work.
Old 11-07-13, 05:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
I love that there's a thread committed to trying to get me banned that I didn't know about until today (thanks Dan)
I don't think the OP started it because of you alone. Honestly. And I don't think you should be banned. I don't think anyone should be banned. There's only one member that I ever recall where I had to use the "report post" button, and it was because he was asking us to update his wikipedia page about Michelle Obama's arms, and I just figured, "WTF. Get rid of this dude already." He's still around.

I used to bait the Apple nerds with negative news all the time, but got over it (good, too... because I know some people hated it. A lot.) Live and let live. Maybe I changed that because of the little one waiting for me at home.

Anyway... I think the mods have a good plan going forward, and I wouldn't take the loudest complainers too seriously. The threads don't have to be circle-jerks or anything, but yeah. I'm off to play COD:G now (in not-1080p)

Last edited by Dan; 11-07-13 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

There really isn't anything that needs to be moderated anymore than it is.

The OP can choose to either ignore individual posters that are causing his knickers to get in a bunch or ignore the VG forum.

Surprising that a "minor" poster in the VG forum started this thread...
Old 11-11-13, 03:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think chess should be banned, but cut the "woe is me" act. You know exactly what you're doing and what kind of reaction it will get.