Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Old 09-08-13, 04:23 PM
  #26  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,059
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

People should be making their own arguments, in their own words. Preferably in existing topics if an appropriate one exists.
Old 09-08-13, 04:30 PM
  #27  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
People should be making their own arguments, in their own words. Preferably in existing topics if an appropriate one exists.
Well, typing my own words would only be an agreement with what people like Dinesh D'Souza, Frank Turek, and Ravi Zacharias have to say. They're much more educated than I am, and most of what they say relates directly how how I feel about most issues. Posting these videos saves me a huge amount of time, in repeatedly explaining myself to everyone.
Old 09-08-13, 04:32 PM
  #28  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,059
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

It saves you no time, because believe me...nobody is watching those videos.
Old 09-08-13, 04:37 PM
  #29  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It saves you no time, because believe me...nobody is watching those videos.
How do you know? Do you monitor everyone's activity who comes onto this site?

I wanted to offer my own comments as well, but how can I when people don't bother to ask questions about the content I post? They just bicker with arbitrary offense claims or sarcasm, like E. Honda's "ten hours of elevator music". Why are my posts being censored, instead of things like that?
Old 09-08-13, 04:39 PM
  #30  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,059
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
How do you know? Do you monitor everyone's activity who comes onto this site?
Of course not. That would be ridiculous when the NSA sends us daily reports summarizing everybody's activities.
Old 09-08-13, 04:43 PM
  #31  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Of course not. That would be ridiculous when the NSA sends us daily reports summarizing everybody's activities.
Again, more sarcasm. This is exactly what I'm talking about; many people on here would rather bicker in pointless circles, than seriously address valid political and/or religious concerns. My posts get locked because I'm simply trying to start an honest debate; what's fair or just about that?
Old 09-08-13, 04:45 PM
  #32  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,059
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Yes. You are correct. That was sarcasm. The NSA does NOT send us reports. Just kidding. Ha ha ha.
Old 09-08-13, 04:48 PM
  #33  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yes. You are correct. That was sarcasm. The NSA does NOT send us reports. Just kidding. Ha ha ha.
So, please explain why my posts are consistently being locked, when they're not violating any forum rules. For example, you never even bothered to ask whether I was spamming with any of my topics, instead assuming that was the case. I've told you that wasn't my intent, and yet, you still refuse to reopen what I've posted. Why?
Old 09-08-13, 04:52 PM
  #34  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,059
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Seriously, though...here is an example of a good use of a video in a political post:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11823645-post56.html

In this post, the user makes a point, and then posts the video to back up his point. He even helpfully points other people to the relevant timestamp in the video.
Old 09-08-13, 05:01 PM
  #35  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

That's one of my posts; are you being sarcastic again?

Answer me straight out: is there any written forum rule here, that says videos can't be posted to start a discussion, rather than supplement one?
Old 09-08-13, 05:10 PM
  #36  
Psi
DVD Talk Legend
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,670
Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

The only things you seem interested in debating are the rules of this forum. If they bother you that much, I suggest you join another forum that suits you better.
Old 09-08-13, 05:14 PM
  #37  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
The only things you seem interested in debating are the rules of this forum. If they bother you that much, I suggest you join another forum that suits you better.
I am interested in having honest, detailed discussions on important issues, without having my threads shut down over ideological differences that aren't inherently harmful. If there's no written rule saying videos can't be used for starting discussions, then my threads should be reopened...period.
Old 09-08-13, 05:50 PM
  #38  
Psi
DVD Talk Legend
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,670
Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

You are not even engaging in a honest discussion about the rules here. Do you read and understand Groucho's point, or do you just want to repeat yourself?
Old 09-08-13, 05:54 PM
  #39  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
You are not even engaging in a honest discussion about the rules here. Do you read and understand Groucho's point, or do you just want to repeat yourself?
Groucho's point seems to be that he believes videos should only be used in pre-existing conversations, but I didn't see any written rules about that.
Old 09-08-13, 07:14 PM
  #40  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 32,875
Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

If you're going to start a thread with a video, you need to provide some sort of context as to why you like it, what the importance is of it, so someone can respond to what you think as much as what the video is talking about. A bolded list of the agenda of the video's talking points doesn't count.

If you feel that the video expresses your viewpoint better than you can, that's fine, but you still need to be able to introduce the thread and express yourself in writing when you create the thread so we can respond and interact with you.
Old 09-08-13, 10:37 PM
  #41  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,490
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
If you're going to start a thread with a video, you need to provide some sort of context as to why you like it, what the importance is of it, so someone can respond to what you think as much as what the video is talking about. A bolded list of the agenda of the video's talking points doesn't count.

If you feel that the video expresses your viewpoint better than you can, that's fine, but you still need to be able to introduce the thread and express yourself in writing when you create the thread so we can respond and interact with you.
I sent you a PM; please check your Inbox.
Old 09-09-13, 07:42 AM
  #42  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 32,875
Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

I've reopened the thread and inserted your new intro commentary.
Old 09-09-13, 10:14 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Shoveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Posts: 4,723
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 View Post
Groucho's point seems to be that he believes videos should only be used in pre-existing conversations, but I didn't see any written rules about that.
You seem to be repeating the same thing over and over again. Isn't there a video you can post that relates directly to how you feel about this issue?
Old 09-10-13, 11:35 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 3,546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This is a discussion forum, not a link farm or video sharing site. Videos and links should be a supplement to that discussion.
What????????
Old 09-12-13, 11:58 PM
  #45  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Posting Links in the Politics Forum

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
What a beautiful morning!
That was so kind of you ....

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.