Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Old 08-12-13, 09:46 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,428
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

But it's so much easier to post in several religious threads.

I simply cut and paste from a previous religious thread.
Old 08-13-13, 07:22 AM
  #27  
kd5
DVD Talk Legend
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,075
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

I can see how moving religious topics to the Politics forum might appeal to alot of people, me included (I make it a point to stay away from both topics, there can be no winner in either and a great deal of angst in both), but it seems to me that giving Religion top billing in the move might be construed as a slap in the face to the Politics people.
Old 08-13-13, 08:38 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I agree with kvrdave. I had been purposely staying away from the sudden influx of religious threads in the Politics forum because I did'nt want to up threads that previously wouldn't have belonged there. I did however respond to dvdjunkies thread because it involved local government.

Anyways, if the forum continues to be "Religion, Politics..." I'll be staying away from it. Right now all the new threads seem to be strictly about religion. Yeah I can just ignore them and hope more important threads get more discussion, but if not, I can also just ignore the forum altogether. Right now it just looks like Christians and secularists throwing rocks at each other.
It's just a phase. Soon the fundamentalists will grow weary.

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I can see how moving religious topics to the Politics forum might appeal to alot of people, me included (I make it a point to stay away from both topics, there can be no winner in either and a great deal of angst in both), but it seems to me that giving Religion top billing in the move might be construed as a slap in the face to the Politics people.
Agreed. I don't like how Religion comes first in the title. Regarding your point about the topics, the very fact that the topics are angst ridden makes them the most important topics to discuss. I doubt I'll ever be turned onto religion but I do know many conservatives have changed my views (or formed my views) on certain topics. By avoiding these topics, we avoid growing.
Old 08-13-13, 10:47 AM
  #29  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,545
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Some thoughts speaking just for myself.


I will again reference Vin's first post, where keeping Other's identity as a less serious destination was important. Removing the increasing amount of serious and contentious religious threads seemed like an easy decision, albeit with some drawbacks.

Since the Politics forum has long been a place for serious and contentious threads, and since politics and religion often, if not usually, intersect, it seemed the only choice for combining forum. Plus, it provides the ability to apply the same unique rules to religious threads as political threads.

As for my earlier comments on ignoring threads, it was made mostly seriously but with the two previous, more important and relevant, ideas in mind. Further, the activity level in the Politics forum has been incredibly lacking as of late, so not reading Religious threads there and/or finding the threads should be an imposition to the very few actively posting there. I wish more would post there, and post more non-religious topics, but that simply isn't the reality at this moment.

I would also like to reiterate and echo what some others have said, that religious threads are the "it" thing at the moment, but likely won't always be that way. The old "ebb and flow". And as Vin stated, before those threads are banished to their own siberia, let us see how this goes for awhile. We can always make changes later if it is necessary.
Old 08-13-13, 10:48 AM
  #30  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,545
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Oh, I also agree about the title.
Old 08-13-13, 02:29 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,813
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

I suppose I'll check the forum every few weeks to see if the religious junk has been moved, Does anybody know of an alternative place do discuss politics and world events without the god stuff?
Old 08-13-13, 03:55 PM
  #32  
Admin
Thread Starter
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 32,896
Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

The Yahoo forums provide some stimulating conversation..."Screw NoBama!" and other such scintillating points.
Old 08-13-13, 05:14 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,114
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Originally Posted by Mammal View Post
I suppose I'll check the forum every few weeks to see if the religious junk has been moved, Does anybody know of an alternative place do discuss politics and world events without the god stuff?
I'm out. I really liked that forum but I think it's a bad move to add all that religiosity to it. I'll PM you a decent substitute political forum.

Anyways thanks for the great political discussions sracer, JasonF, CMR114, DeputyDave, Brack, KVRDave, Jason, Thor Simpson, JFoobar, Mabuse, DrMabuse, Supermallet, Nemein, creekdipper, and everyone else there...
Old 08-13-13, 09:12 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
CaptainMarvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 8,169
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
I would also like to reiterate and echo what some others have said, that religious threads are the "it" thing at the moment, but likely won't always be that way. The old "ebb and flow". And as Vin stated, before those threads are banished to their own siberia, let us see how this goes for awhile. We can always make changes later if it is necessary.
Or not. If you let the weeds kill all the flowers to see how it goes, the flowers don't come back once you finally get around to pulling the weeds.

As others have said, it's terrible now and driving people off. I hate this change, and I find myself visiting less and less to that subforum and the site in general.
Old 08-14-13, 12:28 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,689
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

I personally enjoy reading the religion threads but I do think it was a mistake to throw them in the politics section.

Make a Religion sub forum and that would likely please everyone.
Old 08-14-13, 12:35 AM
  #36  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 9,494
Received 161 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

I think that while colloquially "religion and politics" seem to go hand in hand, I don't think that's necessarily the case at DVDTalk. I think a religion sub-forum that's separate from politics is a good move.
Old 08-15-13, 02:33 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

I wouldn't mind a religion sub forum as then I would probably never be tempted to engage in them.

But I really don't understand the abhorrence where it causes people to leave. If people would post in the political threads, they'd percolate to the top. It's just a slow time in politics right now.
Old 08-15-13, 06:50 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,114
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
But I really don't understand the abhorrence where it causes people to leave. If people would post in the political threads, they'd percolate to the top. It's just a slow time in politics right now.
It seems to be a general lowering of standards in that forum. It's kind of like when journalists and news outlets focus on sex scandals because "sex sells" but political scandals involving corruption and criminality, things of real importance, aren't covered nearly as well. The news organizations rationalize it by shrugging their shoulders and saying, "well, that's what the public wants, we're just giving them what they want."

There's not too much "activity" in the Politics forum so why not add Religion to it to get some more traffic? Same type of thinking. And I thought there were supposed to be no generalizations in that forum but I saw "hatetheists" repeated throughout that thread.

It's sad that to have any chance at being president of the United States you have to profess to be a "person of faith." Religion plays too big a part in politics and little things like this just perpetuate the idea that they should go hand in hand.
Old 08-16-13, 01:48 AM
  #39  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
We are going to wrap in Religious discussions into the existing Politics and World Events forum. Why are we doing this? Well there are a great many readers of the other forum who have expressed their desire for the more contentious discussions to be in their own forum. We did this with Political discussions a few years ago and many of us have seen the same kind of heated debate over Religious topics. Our intention is not to create a forum where these topics will "go to die," nor is it to censor those who truly enjoy discussing these issues. Traditionally the other forum has been a place to unwind and enjoy more light hearted topics like the wonders of Florida and the special kind of dumbness this state can bring to us all.

So we're hoping that this will allow Religious discussion to continue without thread sidetracks like "Why do we have so many damned Religious threads?" and also keep the spirit/culture of other intact as it has been over the years. Thank you for your attention.
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
It seems to be a general lowering of standards in that forum. It's kind of like when journalists and news outlets focus on sex scandals because "sex sells" but political scandals involving corruption and criminality, things of real importance, aren't covered nearly as well. The news organizations rationalize it by shrugging their shoulders and saying, "well, that's what the public wants, we're just giving them what they want."

There's not too much "activity" in the Politics forum so why not add Religion to it to get some more traffic? Same type of thinking. And I thought there were supposed to be no generalizations in that forum but I saw "hatetheists" repeated throughout that thread.

It's sad that to have any chance at being president of the United States you have to profess to be a "person of faith." Religion plays too big a part in politics and little things like this just perpetuate the idea that they should go hand in hand.
Your take on the matter appears to be somewhat at odds with the original announcement.

With regard to the use of "hatetheists", as always, I would recommend judicious use of the button to report what you believe to be offenders in order to help the mods clean up the forum.

Per the SOP people only get so much leeway for proven repeat offending which means that anyone shown to be stinking up the place most likely will be sent on a holiday sooner rather than later if their misbehaviour is flagged.

My only caveat is that people using RTPtaM should take care that they are not simply homing in on someone that they dislike. If you explain your take on the offence it makes for easier and maybe faster discussions amongst the relevant mods.
Old 08-16-13, 08:13 AM
  #40  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,545
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
It seems to be a general lowering of standards in that forum. It's kind of like when journalists and news outlets focus on sex scandals because "sex sells" but political scandals involving corruption and criminality, things of real importance, aren't covered nearly as well. The news organizations rationalize it by shrugging their shoulders and saying, "well, that's what the public wants, we're just giving them what they want."

There's not too much "activity" in the Politics forum so why not add Religion to it to get some more traffic? Same type of thinking. And I thought there were supposed to be no generalizations in that forum but I saw "hatetheists" repeated throughout that thread.

It's sad that to have any chance at being president of the United States you have to profess to be a "person of faith." Religion plays too big a part in politics and little things like this just perpetuate the idea that they should go hand in hand.
Originally Posted by benedict View Post
Your take on the matter appears to be somewhat at odds with the original announcement.

With regard to the use of "hatetheists", as always, I would recommend judicious use of the button to report what you believe to be offenders in order to help the mods clean up the forum.

Per the SOP people only get so much leeway for proven repeat offending which means that anyone shown to be stinking up the place most likely will be sent on a holiday sooner rather than later if their misbehaviour is flagged.

My only caveat is that people using RTPtaM should take care that they are not simply homing in on someone that they dislike. If you explain your take on the offence it makes for easier and maybe faster discussions amongst the relevant mods.
I would also add that unlike with news outlets, the "readers/viewers" here have far more control as to what discussions are initiated. In fact, almost complete control, provided the discussions are in the proper place and follow the appropriate guidelines. Just because something is allowed does not mean it has to exist.

As for the "hatetheist" issue, remember that thread was started in the Other forum, and as such was not subject to those same rules. We can't move a thread to where different rules exist and then retroactively punish posters.
Old 08-16-13, 08:30 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manch Vegas, NH
Posts: 8,243
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Is it really that hard to make it it's own sub-forum? :sigh:
Old 08-16-13, 02:40 PM
  #42  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
As for the "hatetheist" issue, remember that thread was started in the Other forum, and as such was not subject to those same rules. We can't move a thread to where different rules exist and then retroactively punish posters.
Good point. At least until the thread was moved it is entirely reasonable to expect that the rules applying at the time of posting would be those used to judge any particular post.
Old 09-01-13, 11:14 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,114
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Announcing changes to the Politics forum

I tried to stay away from the forum but I can't. I'll give it a shot. It's still the best place I know of for political discussion and it's moderated pretty well. Thanks for keeping it that way.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.