Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Make Blu-Ray Bargains the main forum and move Dvd forum to the subforum

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It seems strange to still have Dvd bargains as the main bargain forum.

I understand that this site is called Dvdtalk, but I still think dvd's time has passed and you might as well make the switch in the forums.
Old 07-15-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Make Blu-Ray Bargains the main forum and move Dvd forum to the subforum

I think there is more discussion in DVD, rather than BR, though.
Old 07-15-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I think there is more discussion in DVD, rather than BR, though.
Some of that is due to common deals that are both Dvd and Blu-Ray are usually posted in dvd bargains so the posts are shifted to that forum.
So if Blu-Ray was made the main forum those posts would now be posted there instead of Dvd bargains.
Old 07-15-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the difference? I admit that I'm more on the lookout for deals on BR rather than DVD but I'd imagine there are still more folks looking for DVD deals.
Old 07-15-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
What's the difference? I admit that I'm more on the lookout for deals on BR rather than DVD but I'd imagine there are still more folks looking for DVD deals.

When you first get to Dvdtalk and look at the pulldown to see what forums they have it only shows Dvd bargains. In fact if you were new and had never seen the place before you might think it was some old site that was all about Dvd's only.

Blu-rays are mentioned no where in those pulldowns of forums.

Dvd Talk
Dvd Reviews...

It just makes the website look out of touch. They can not change the name obviously. I just think moving these forums around would at least let a first time person know the site has stuff about Blu-rays also.

I guess they could change the pulldown off the main page so that it showed more than the main forums when you pull down the list would help a ton also.
Old 07-19-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I would like to see the DVD and HD and Review (and the covers and inserts sub) forums combined into one "Software" forum. The traffic is nowhere where it used to be a few years ago, and they could all benefit from some cross-synergy.
Old 07-19-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by gcribbs
It seems strange to still have Dvd bargains as the main bargain forum.

I understand that this site is called Dvdtalk, but I still think dvd's time has passed and you might as well make the switch in the forums.
Or why not move Blu-ray Bargains from the current sub-forum to its own forum, but keep DVD bargains as is? Both should have "main forum" status, IMO.
Old 07-19-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I would like to see the DVD and HD and Review (and the covers and inserts sub) forums combined into one "Software" forum.
Just speaking for myself, I think I'd hate that. I would personally rather see a few forums that get a reasonable, readable number of posts a day than have to scroll through one huge one.
Old 07-19-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Or why not move Blu-ray Bargains from the current sub-forum to its own forum, but keep DVD bargains as is? Both should have "main forum" status, IMO.
In my opinion, this is a much better idea than anything else suggested in the thread so far.
Old 07-19-12, 05:37 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
In my opinion, this is a much better idea than anything else suggested in the thread so far.

-kd5-
Old 07-20-12, 08:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
-kd5-
This.
Old 07-23-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think most people think of dvd as comprising both dvd and blu-ray, they just think of them as the shiny disk movies as opposed to tape.
Old 07-24-12, 02:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
-kd5-
Originally Posted by Trevor
This.
Also yes.
Old 07-26-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about incorporating the International forum into the DVD one? The former gets even less traffic than the latter, and would likely only add a handful of threads to the DVD forum's front page. As long as we're contemplating some spring (summer) cleaning, why not ditch the 'DVD Reviews and Recommendations' thread entirely? There are literally four new posts in the last two months!
Old 07-26-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone else notice that HD Talk has been more active than DVD Talk for awhile? A good chunk of activity also seems to be with the challenges.

I'm wondering if people are just not posting as much about DVDs because there isn't that much to talk about, leaving the forum altogether, moving to HD or some combo of the three.
Old 07-29-12, 12:05 PM

If there's going to be some house-cleaning, I think combining the "DVD Talk" and "HD Talk" forums would be a good idea, given the reduced traffic in the former. The only issue would be if the combined 3/4 of a million threads would have a negative effect on the database. Perhaps archive all posts prior to 2012 (2010?) and move the remainder to the combined forum?

Promoting "Blu-Ray Bargains" to the same level as "DVD Bargains" also gets my vote. I bought a BR player just recently, and sometimes overlook "Blu-Ray Bargains" given its lesser stature. At the same time, I think "DVD Bargains" is better left alone.

I know some people still use "DVD Reviews and Recommendations", but for me it's worthless since you offloaded review feedback to Facebook (which I consider a fool's errand, but figure you'll come around in a few years when Facebook goes the way of MySpace and AOL).

I also suggest keeping "International" as-is. It doesn't generate much traffic, but I think combining it with anything would be uncomfortable for all involved. Regular "International" users would have trouble finding threads, and I fear for a repeat of the acrimony that (purportedly) existed before "Covers and Cases" was spun off. Out of curiosity, I wonder how many users here have a region-free player and regularly shop internationally?
Old 07-29-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thetao
If there's going to be some house-cleaning, I think combining the "DVD Talk" and "HD Talk" forums would be a good idea, given the reduced traffic in the former.
God no! The last thing the HD forum needs is a bunch of redundant and outdated DVD threads mucking it up.
Old 07-29-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
which I consider a fool's errand, but figure you'll come around in a few years when Facebook goes the way of MySpace and AOL
1) Essentially no one used the old review response system
2) Despite #1, it was a technical issue that prompted the switch

Since newly-posted reviews get the vast, vast overwhelming majority of the traffic, changing comment systems every however many years shouldn't have any meaningful impact.

If user comments were to veer away from Facebook and back towards the forums, it'd need to be a new system somehow 'cause the old one was terrible. I'm okay saying that since I'm the one who wrote it, although I made it something like 10 years ago when I didn't really know what I was doing.

I agree that the DVD Reviews forum has no real reason to exist anymore.
Old 07-29-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't like the idea of combining DVD and HD Talk, I pretty much pay zero attention to regular DVD's at all now so i'd rather not see that information.

Blu-ray Bargains as a separate entity seems like a good idea.
Old 07-29-12, 03:58 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

The mods are discussing putting both bargain forums at the same level.
Old 07-30-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With regard to the call for feedback posted in the International Forum...well, maybe it's time...all good things must come to an end. The lack of protest (or general feedback) seems to indicate a general apathy towards whatever decision is ultimately made. It seems a safe bet that most past and current users of International now rely on another site as their first forum of choice.
Old 07-30-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

For as long as there have been DVD forums, I have always thought that the ghetto-ization of other region DVDs to their own forum only helped to perpetrate the problem. If the forums had pushed for greater exposure of how other regions would get better extras, transfers and even the entire movie, it might have pushed the studios to be a little more aggressive in bringing it to region 1.
Old 07-30-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The site should definitely consider re-focusing the forums. The target audience for this forum (hardcore DVD consumers) have largely moved on to Blu-ray as their preferred home video format.
Old 08-01-12, 07:59 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Regardless of what some people are saying about phasing out DVD-related forums in favor of blu-ray, IMHO I think DVDTalk should remain true to its origins. Sure, showcase the new technology as it emerges, but we're still first and foremost DVDTalk.com. And while some are citing the waning interest in DVDs, there will always be a home for us who remain true to the origins of digital media. I, for one, appreciate the existence of DVD talk at DVDTalk.com. I agree that we should give at least equal time to blu-ray as that is what's currently popular, but what happens when the industry has moved on to the next new technology? DVDTalk.com needs to be flexible as well, without abandoning its origins.

Just my humble opinion for what it's worth, -kd5-
Old 08-01-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Regardless of what some people are saying about phasing out DVD-related forums in favor of blu-ray, IMHO I think DVDTalk should remain true to its origins.
Definitely. VHSTalk remains a hotbed of activity. The main DVDtalk forum is nearly as exciting as BookTalk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.