Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Where are the forum rules ?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 11-04-10, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know where I can see the rules that I'm supposed to be abiding by when hanging out here? You know, the ones that everyone clicked "I accept" on. I'd like to look them over more carefully.

And, before anyone chimes in with it, I know we're supposed to read things before we sign them (even virtually). But I guarantee anyone that well over 90% of the members here didn't read a single word.

I'd appreciate a link, if it's available, thanks.
Old 11-04-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Feedback Forum Frequently Asked Questions

I'm not sure if they are all-inclusive, but there's a link at the very bottom of the page to "Rules" that goes here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/rules.php
Old 11-04-10, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I'm not sure if they are all-inclusive, but there's a link at the very bottom of the page to "Rules" that goes here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/rules.php
Thanks. Found another one, too:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...refresher.html

Mighty vague and open to interpretation, if ya ask me....at least, in a few places. But then, no one did.
Old 11-04-10, 03:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Lemmy's got something big planned...I can feel it...
Old 11-04-10, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
Lemmy's got something big planned...I can feel it...
Nope....just reigning it in a bit [by "special request"]....once again.

But I have one of the biggest bombshells ever seen in the history of this forum under my hat, were I ever to divulge it...but that's a big no-go, nuh-uh, not-gonna-happen.
Old 11-05-10, 04:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Thanks. Found another one, too:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...refresher.html

Mighty vague and open to interpretation, if ya ask me....at least, in a few places. But then, no one did.
The one at the bottom of the page, and linked to in my sig, is the latest/most complete version.

As you'll appreciate, we have to leave some "wriggle room" for the inevitable envelope-pushing that does occur here (ahem) from time to time
Old 11-05-10, 08:32 AM
Banned

Apparently, there's no "wiggle room" for some people. Especially for some topics. Even when they might be legal.

I should have known.

It's going to be much less fun around here from now on. But don't think you'll be rid of me so easily.
Old 11-05-10, 08:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is it acceptable to discuss smoking pot in The Netherlands? Or the use of medicinal marijuana?

Are we allowed to discuss jaywalking? Or gay marriage (still illegal in most places)?
Old 11-05-10, 08:52 AM
Banned

Old 11-05-10, 10:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

[General observations inspired by the quoted post]

[....] It's going to be much less fun around here from now on. But don't think you'll be rid of me so easily.
1) The fun is often deemed to be leaving the forum but, for the most part, I think sufficient fun remains after minor crackdowns such that the cost in terms of individual restriction is outweighed by the benefits of reining in the forces of mild anarchy/disruption and keeping things pleasant for members generally

2) You'll have seen how, from time to time, long-term members end up leaving under a cloud. I cannot emphasise enough how such decisions are not taken lightly - usually after considerable discussion/agonising by mods/admins. Like most of us, I regard it as a shame to lose members who actively contribute and are a part of the overal community when the situation might have been avoided. For this reason, most mods/admins endeavour to encourage compliance by way of email & PM - or sometimes by way of an in-thread warning which can serve the purpose of encouraging other members back on to the straight & narrow - when they see someone skirting on the edge and maybe putting their posting privileges at risk. It may sometimes seem like an intrusive or even an overbearing approach - and some of us (myself very much included, regrettably) can occasionally reach "burn out" when the drip, drip, drip of "Why me? What do you know?Get lost!" wears away our usualy sunny good natures

What am I saying? Maybe if someone has suggested that a particular member should "take care", any such member could regard it as an indication that the mod is trying to avoid an unnecessary fall from grace. In some ways, it could be seen as a good sign i.e. we'd be sad to see the member "self-destruct" and are trying to prevent it. And the wriggle room is really for the benefit of the mods i.e. it prevents us from being entirely robotic &/or hamstrung and able to exercise some element of judgement. Yes, that judgement will be questioned but if none was permitted some of the decisions flowing from that rigidity would be very unpalatable for regular members and mods alike.

Anyway, that's enough of me wittering on... I'll probably have to close this soon if it becomes overly navel gazing &/or otherwise unproductive
Old 11-05-10, 10:57 AM
Banned

Re: Where are the forum rules ?

I think Groucho's posed some interesting questions, certainly deserving some clarification.
Old 11-05-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

But I have one of the biggest bombshells ever seen in the history of this forum under my hat, were I ever to divulge it...but that's a big no-go, nuh-uh, not-gonna-happen.
Tease!
Old 11-05-10, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by covenant
Tease!
There are hints all over this site.

No one has put 2 + 2 together yet.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

My God... Lemmy is wm lopez!!
Old 11-05-10, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
My God... Lemmy is wm lopez!!
Nope.

But I do have an affinity for both mexican food and mexican babes, due to the time I resided in Texas.

But, hey....this is not the right thread for all this....why not continue it in the link in my sig? If anyone is up for it, that is.

Old 11-05-10, 07:05 PM
Banned

Re: [General observations inspired by the quoted post]

Originally Posted by benedict
1) The fun is often deemed to be leaving the forum but, for the most part, I think sufficient fun remains after minor crackdowns such that the cost in terms of individual restriction is outweighed by the benefits of reining in the forces of mild anarchy/disruption and keeping things pleasant for members generally

2) You'll have seen how, from time to time, long-term members end up leaving under a cloud. I cannot emphasise enough how such decisions are not taken lightly - usually after considerable discussion/agonising by mods/admins. Like most of us, I regard it as a shame to lose members who actively contribute and are a part of the overal community when the situation might have been avoided. For this reason, most mods/admins endeavour to encourage compliance by way of email & PM - or sometimes by way of an in-thread warning which can serve the purpose of encouraging other members back on to the straight & narrow - when they see someone skirting on the edge and maybe putting their posting privileges at risk. It may sometimes seem like an intrusive or even an overbearing approach - and some of us (myself very much included, regrettably) can occasionally reach "burn out" when the drip, drip, drip of "Why me? What do you know?Get lost!" wears away our usualy sunny good natures

What am I saying? Maybe if someone has suggested that a particular member should "take care", any such member could regard it as an indication that the mod is trying to avoid an unnecessary fall from grace. In some ways, it could be seen as a good sign i.e. we'd be sad to see the member "self-destruct" and are trying to prevent it. And the wriggle room is really for the benefit of the mods i.e. it prevents us from being entirely robotic &/or hamstrung and able to exercise some elemtn of judgement. Yes, that judgement will be questioned but if none was permitted some of the decisions flowing from that would be very unpalatable for regular members and mods alike.
(and thanks )