Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

So, how often do you learn something new about the forum or forum software?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 08:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I tend to stay in my comfort zones, so there are probably dozens of normally apparent things about DVDTalk that I randomly discover as new on a regular basis.

I had never used the "new posts" button until just a couple months ago. Pretty cool thing, although I still interact with the forum mainly through emails.

Just the other day I discovered that editing text color was easier than I thought. Every time I changed a text color inside of a post I was going to the color submenu and manually selecting that color, even if the same color 20 different times in the same post. Finally noticed that the color graphic (A) remained the last color you chose, and simply clicked it changed your selected text to that same color again, no need to scroll to the color in the pick list each time.

What have you discovered lately?
Old 07-26-10, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: So, how often do you learn something new about the forum or forum software?

I was active here for a good while before I used the new post feature, and it's my primary way of navigating the forum.
Old 07-26-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just discovered that there is a Book Talk.
Old 08-03-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

New Post Feature?
Old 08-03-10, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
New Post Feature?
The link next to the Seach drop-down link. That's how I generally navigate the forum.
Old 08-06-10, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I just discovered that there is a Book Talk.
Originally Posted by Lemmy
There's a Book Talk?!?
Lord, Please don't let the community at large learn about this. Amen.

The last useful feature I remember learning about was either the ability to multi-quote or to link to images; I really don't recall which I learned first. The feature I've taken the most liking to is the dancing banana emoticon, which I would absolutely love to find some way of including in my tweets. For instance, one might have read:

"Going to see @MCHammer perform at the @CincinnatiReds game 7/16! "
Old 08-06-10, 07:45 AM

Recently learned cool uses of the text commands for bolding and italicizing and underlining.

I used to just highlight what I wanted changed and then click the button in the quick edit taskbar.

Then I learned that you could highlight something and do a Control-B to bold it, a Control-I to italicize it, or a Control-U to underline it.

But I just learned that if you hit those keyboard commands before highlighting or even typing any text, your cursor defaults to in between the command. If I'm not explaining it well just try it. Click into the reply box and hit Control-b.
Old 09-22-10, 02:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've learned a fair bit here!

One tip that I recently read elswhere - and which may be useful for people reading this - is to employ the "panic button" ( available just to Premium Members?) to link to the forum list or anything else regarded as similarly helpful for one's forum-browsing experience!
Old 09-22-10, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by benedict

One tip that I recently read elswhere - and which may be useful for people reading this - is to employ the "panic button" ( available just to Premium Members?) to link to the forum list or anything else regarded as similarly helpful for one's forum-browsing experience!
Hmm, where is this mysterious panic button config?
Old 09-22-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Hmm, where is this mysterious panic button config?
In the User CP, click on edit options on the menu to the left. It's about 2/3 of the way down the page under thread display options.
Old 10-05-10, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Can I make a suggestion? I find the "new posts" button occasionally useful, but on another forum there's a "my posts" button. It lists every thread you've posted in and you can click on your last post, and resume reading from that point. Is there any way to get that function here?
Old 10-05-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Can I make a suggestion? I find the "new posts" button occasionally useful, but on another forum there's a "my posts" button. It lists every thread you've posted in and you can click on your last post, and resume reading from that point. Is there any way to get that function here?
You could just click on your name and click 'find more posts by milo bloom'. Pretty sure that would achieve the same thing.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=36548
Old 10-05-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

That means I have to find one of my posts before I can activate the thing to find my posts. My point is, on the other forum, it's right at the top and is a great way to get back into my discussions.
Old 10-05-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
That means I have to find one of my posts before I can activate the thing to find my posts. My point is, on the other forum, it's right at the top and is a great way to get back into my discussions.
Nope. Bookmark the link I posted. That will take you right there.
Old 10-05-10, 11:02 AM
Mod Emeritus

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=36548]milo bloom's posts

But if you just saved the link as a favourite...

EDIT: mkdevo beat me to it!
Old 10-05-10, 11:36 AM

Re: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=36548]milo bloom's posts

Originally Posted by mkdevo
Nope. Bookmark the link I posted. That will take you right there.
My plan for quite awhile now has been to combine these two things and make the panic button take me to a page full of DVDTalk links; my recent posts, all the threads I maintain(or used to maintain), all the Challenges, all my personal lists, etc.

I haven't gotten around to that yet of course, but I do use bookmarks in the links toolbar, all in a DVDTalk folder, for the things I mentioned. The panic button just takes me to the forums list for now.

Of course, the "use bookmarks" answer doesn't work for people who use work computers and can't add favorites or toolbars. That was my excuse until I bought a laptop.
Old 10-05-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the idea, Trevor. I had set the panic button to go to my e-mail, but have never really used it. So I just changed it to go to the new posts link here. If I can get in the habit of clicking that, I'll save myself those valuable seconds of scrolling back up to the top of the page.
Old 10-05-10, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Thanks for the idea, Trevor. I had set the panic button to go to my e-mail, but have never really used it. So I just changed it to go to the new posts link here. If I can get in the habit of clicking that, I'll save myself those valuable seconds of scrolling back up to the top of the page.
Credit to Benedict for being the first one to mention that feature in this thread.

But yes, it does save some scrolling. I've been using it off-and-on since premium went live, but still forget about it most of the time.

I feel like there should be some easy-to-use web page making sites that cater to the following: I'd love to have a webpage of just 50-100 link buttons, going to all my most used sites. Bookmarks and toolbars are great on your personal computers, but at work where I can't change anything on the computers, a personal page of links seems like the best solution.
Old 10-05-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Credit to Benedict for being the first one to mention that feature in this thread.

I just went back and read Benedict's post which I had seen before talking about the Panic Button feature, but not the specific suggestion about redirecting it elsewhere.

A very good idea indeed.
Old 10-05-10, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

I recently discovered the "Increase Size" and "Decrease Size" buttons in the Quick Reply and Reply to Thread windows.
Old 10-06-10, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I recently discovered the "Increase Size" and "Decrease Size" buttons in the Quick Reply and Reply to Thread windows.
Fixed.
Old 10-07-10, 03:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Trevor
I feel like there should be some easy-to-use web page making sites that cater to the following: I'd love to have a webpage of just 50-100 link buttons, going to all my most used sites. Bookmarks and toolbars are great on your personal computers, but at work where I can't change anything on the computers, a personal page of links seems like the best solution.
Although "easy to use" may preclude using some free webspace to create one's pwn "bare bones" page of links, perhaps some of the existing services (unfortunately all requiring a sign-in unless you can set a permanent cookie) would fit the bill:But maybe a DVDTalk.com-hosted favourites page is something to requested from IB as a special feature for Premium members... I'll certainly flag it with our resident technical chappy.
Old 10-07-10, 06:27 AM

Although "easy to use" may preclude using some free webspace to create one's pwn "bare bones" page of links, perhaps some of the existing services (unfortunately all requiring a sign-in unless you can set a permanent cookie) would fit the bill:But maybe a DVDTalk.com-hosted favourites page is something to requested from IB as a special feature for Premium members... I'll certainly flag it with our resident technical chappy.
Thanks Benedict! Yeah, I prefer not to sign-in to anything on the work computers, used to all the time but now they are slowly changing the rules and running connections through corporate headquarters proxies.

But a DVDTalk hosted favorites page would be a very marketable special feature for premium membership imo, and a great use of the panic button.
Old 10-20-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just noticed in the bottom left in the box marked posting rules at the very bottom there are three setting that I never noticed there before called trackbacks, pingbacks, and refbacks. What are they and how are they turned on?
Old 10-29-11, 11:28 AM

Mister Peepers just taught me that the "last edited" link in the bottom left of every edited post maintains a history of every version of the post.

Edit to add: I've lost entire posts because of editing errors or forum glitches. Wish I knew of this feature earlier.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-29-11 at 11:30 AM. Reason: testing

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.