Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Can't post threads?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Can't post threads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 03:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Can't post threads?

Although I was able to start a new thread in Music (which I again deleted), when I tried to start with a more substantial post I again received the error message:

Cannot Connect
The proxy could not connect to the destination in time.
URL: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/newthread.p...ostthread&f=28
Surely it could not be a problem with including a quote from "Breakfast With Girls" in my prospective posts/PMs?

EDIT: Yes, having tested with and without, it is the fact of quote - although not to do with the original poster, per se.

Belay that! Tried to post the body of my piece in Music (without the original quote) and although it had worked in Feedback I got the error when I did it as a new post to the original Music thread. Next test could be a new thread in Music but with no quoting. Hmmm...

EDIT AGAIN: No, could not start the topic as a new thread in Music either with or without the [/B]quote. No idea why the "test" post worked there...

Curiouser and curiouser!

Last edited by benedict; 01-28-14 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-28-14, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Benedict: are you running any McAfee products for virus protection and the like? I suspect one of them is getting in the way. The software is probably trying to pre-fetch content to make sure it's safe, routing through McAfee's servers rather than connecting directly. When it has trouble successfully doing that, you see that error. That might also explain how erratic it is. Nosing around on Google, the only references I seem to see for that error are tied to McAfee.
Old 01-28-14, 03:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info :)

McAfee at the location from which I copied the message. I'll get back to you with the other error message.

EDIT:
Code:
This page can’t be displayed

•Make sure the web address http://forum.dvdtalk.com is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes.
At home I only have Avast unless I've been co-opted into a McAfee product when installing something else. I'll look into that and post again tomorrow sometime.

Last edited by benedict; 01-28-14 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-28-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

The other error looks like a DNS issue. My first plan of attack would be to restart your router (I have trouble getting to certain sites that go away when I power-cycle my router, anyway), second would be resetting both modem/router, and third would be to change the DNS settings from your ISP to OpenDNS (or change them back if you're using OpenDNS).