Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Ads inside of posts are back

Old 08-15-08, 03:53 PM
Banned

Ads inside of posts are back

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=537731

It makes it seem like I personally endorse whatever comes up. Not only do I not appreciate that, but if the advertisers knew who was "endorsing" them, they wouldn't appreciate it.
Old 08-15-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It appears to only be affecting the less desirable posters. I haven't seen these ads yet.
Old 08-15-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-15-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

were you logged in when you saw the ad? i dont see any
Old 08-15-08, 04:37 PM

My understanding is that the ads are much more subtle, and appear inside the posters message seamlessly in a posting style that closely matches their usual candor.

HAY GUYZ!!! I LIKE COCA-COLA. YUM!111!!
Old 08-15-08, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
were you logged in when you saw the ad? i dont see any
I guess I was. That's weird.. lurkers see different things than we do? Strange.
Old 08-15-08, 06:53 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by matta View Post
I guess I was. That's weird.. lurkers see different things than we do? Strange.
Correct. If you aren't logged in, you see ads. If you are logged in, you don't see ads. It's not that we want to hose lurkers, it's that we want to give you special treatment. There are always going to be ads on just about every website. It's either ads for everyone or ads for the non-registered people.

For the record, this has been the policy for a couple of months and is nothing new since the upgrade. What has changed is the first post ad, which is replacing an ad in a break between the second and third post. It was decided that this would be less intrusive to the lurkers. Believe it or not, that's an upgrade.
Old 08-15-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So can we have avatars yet? I've got a killer screencap from Troll 2 I would like to use...
Old 08-15-08, 07:25 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
So can we have avatars yet? I've got a killer screencap from Troll 2 I would like to use...
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=86
Old 08-15-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by IB-Dick View Post
Correct. If you aren't logged in, you see ads. If you are logged in, you don't see ads. It's not that we want to hose lurkers, it's that we want to give you special treatment. There are always going to be ads on just about every website. It's either ads for everyone or ads for the non-registered people.

For the record, this has been the policy for a couple of months and is nothing new since the upgrade. What has changed is the first post ad, which is replacing an ad in a break between the second and third post. It was decided that this would be less intrusive to the lurkers. Believe it or not, that's an upgrade.
Sounds fair to me.
Old 08-15-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Glad it won't affect me as long as I'm logged in, but if it was my first time visiting a site and I saw ads in the first post it would also be my last time visiting the site. Hope it doesn't hurt the site long term by keeping out new blood.
Old 08-15-08, 08:01 PM
Banned

For the record, this has been the policy for a couple of months and is nothing new since the upgrade.
It's probably just that I haven't been "logged out" in years.
Old 08-15-08, 08:24 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Glad it won't affect me as long as I'm logged in, but if it was my first time visiting a site and I saw ads in the first post it would also be my last time visiting the site. Hope it doesn't hurt the site long term by keeping out new blood.
People have become more and more accepting of ads throughout the years. Everybody hates them, but most of them realize that websites cost money to run. Also, the % of people who get to this site via links and search engines that end up registering is fairly low. It's a metric that's worth being concerned about, but the site's content will always keep people coming back. You guys are a pretty solid group, and there isn't much of a risk in the community failing because of ads, as long as it's kept within reason. If this site were brand new or much smaller, I'd completely agree with you.

Originally Posted by matta View Post
It's probably just that I haven't been "logged out" in years.
I'm sure many people here haven't. The upgrade changed the format of the cookie, so it forced most people to have to re-login.
Old 08-15-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure many people here haven't. The upgrade changed the format of the cookie, so it forced most people to have to re-login.
It was a booger trying to remember my password!

Thanks for all the quick responses, IB-Dick.
Old 08-16-08, 10:27 AM
Banned

But like I mentioned in the other thread, apparently the new cookie format isn't working.

May I suggest gingerbread?
Old 08-16-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so that's what happened. i noticed the ads when i came back the day after the upgrade, but, i was not logged in due to the cookie change. i have not noticed an since logging back in. thanks for the info!
Old 08-16-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought they amped up the ads too before I noticed I hadn't logged in first. Nice screen name, IB-Dick.
Old 08-18-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mozilla Firefox + addons NoScript and Flashblock = no ads
Old 08-18-08, 02:00 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by E. Honda View Post
Mozilla Firefox + addons NoScript and Flashblock = no ads
= violating the terms you agreed to when you signed up.

DVD Talk is a private membership organization, NOT a public forum. Membership to DVD Talk is predicated on your ADHERENCE to the rules and policies detailed below. Failure to abide by these rules will result in the closure of your forum account and an end to your Membership on the site. DVD Talk Membership is not free, the membership fee (which is thirty dollars per year) is paid on your behalf by the advertisers on this site. As such you agree not to use any ad blocking or suppression software or be liable for your membership fee.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/legal.html
Old 08-18-08, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Better ban him since you have no way of making sure he'll stop.
Old 08-18-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Probably more people on DVDTalk block ads than will admit.
Old 08-18-08, 11:44 AM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by Seantn View Post
Better ban him since you have no way of making sure he'll stop.
Sure we can! It's pretty simple. We have his IP logged. All we have to do is see if he's loading ad images in the server logs.
Old 08-18-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps a more productive use of Internet Brands' time would be creating a way for users to pay for a no-ads version of the site.
Old 08-18-08, 08:17 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post
Perhaps a more productive use of Internet Brands' time would be creating a way for users to pay for a no-ads version of the site.
Regarding the forum, if you're logged in you have a free ad-free version of the site. Obviously, that's not true for the rest of the site but it's better than nothing.
Old 08-18-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk God

is it possible to make it so that bob dole's viagara ads always show up in my posts?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.