Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

DVD-Talk Reviewers - what credentials do these people have?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - I've seen some very poorly written reviews in my time, especially in this internet era where everyone is a critic, but exactly what criteria is involved to become a reviewer for DVD Talk? Honestly, it appears like anyone who wants to work for free screener-discs can review anything on this site, even genres and types of films the reviewer hates or knows nothing about.

I just read a DVD-Talk review from some guy named Gerry Putzer (wow, a name that actually fits - you go Putz!) about a 70's skit-sex-comedy feature called "CAN I DO IT 'TILL I NEED GLASSES?" featuring a young Robin Williams in a couple of scenes. Putzer may not like the film and that's easily understood as with various opinions of any film. I think the film is quite bad myself, but it's got its moments and it is a fun time capsule of that era and what was going on with raunchy comedy at the time. Like it or not, that's what the era was.

My main beef with this clueless reviewer, though, is when he starts discussing the extras on the disc and so forth and he clearly has no idea what he is talking about. Who is this guy? - some 19-year-old-kid living in his parents' basement who thinks he has some clue about film history? He says the extra bonus trailers on the disc are for obscure movies only TARANTINO will know about (oh please, how easy it is to throw Tarantino into any discussion of any cult film). One trailer Putz mentions, the 70's Italian exorcist ripoff BEYOND THE DOOR, he calls it an "an American-shot giallo" (!!!!) and that comment cannot be any more idiotic in its stupidty and ineptitude. Does he know anything about genre films? Does he even know what a giallo film is??? Is Tarantino the only link he knows about regarding cult films? What a complete joke this Putz is.

He also has no clue that the "Extra" option on the disc showing a clip from the actual film with a paperboy screaming "extra!" is supposed to be a joke! Manohman, how can someone, a supposed "film critic", be so clueless. My definition of a loser has just been redefined.

I seriously have begun to look at most DVD-Talk reviewers as inept, unknowledgeable youngsters who only sign up for the gig to get free screener copies. Yep, if you're 16 and in high-school, but want to get free DVD's, this is the place to be. DVD-Talk really needs better criteria to hire supposed film reviewers besides someone who's just willing to do it and has a HD surround-stereo system in their bedroom.
Old 08-02-08, 04:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts
take care!
Old 08-02-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
If only there were some forum to discuss reviews or leave feedback.
Old 08-02-08, 04:42 PM

in fact do you ever have anything nice to say? i think they have a prescription that might help...

Views: 3 Posted By man*machine

OK - I've seen some very poorly written reviews in my time, especially in this internet era where everyone is a critic, but exactly what criteria is involved to become a reviewer for DVD Talk? ...
Forum: Movie Talk 07-28-08, 01:10 PM
Replies: 161 Poll: The X-Files: I Want To Believe (Carter, 2008) — The Reviews Thread
Views: 5,197 Posted By man*machine
INDY 4 was one of the dullest films I've seen all...

INDY 4 was one of the dullest films I've seen all year. Just because there's lots of 'action' doesn't make it interesting. I almost walked out halfway through. I cannot even fathom the concept of...
Forum: Movie Talk 07-27-08, 06:56 PM
Replies: 161 Poll: The X-Files: I Want To Believe (Carter, 2008) — The Reviews Thread
If you actually sat through Indy 4 four times,...

If you actually sat through Indy 4 four times, your critical opinion of ANY movie is completely nil.
Forum: DVD Talk 07-17-08, 02:50 PM
Replies: 11 ANYWHERE to find Anchor Bay's R1 'Quatermass & the Pit'?
Views: 559 Posted By man*machine
This has been fetching big prices for several...

This has been fetching big prices for several years already. You're not going to find a new one at any on-line merchant for $14.99. It's been OOP and dried up for a very long time. You'll just...
Forum: DVD Talk 07-15-08, 10:17 PM
Replies: 20 Finally! Director's Cut of "54" with Mike Myers & Ryan Phillippe
Views: 816 Posted By man*machine
"54" was quite bad, I agree, but...

"54" was quite bad, I agree, but "LAST DAYS OF DISCO" was absolutely wretched and completetely unauthentic in trying to represent the 70's. Does anyone who actually grew up back in the 70's...
Forum: DVD Talk 07-14-08, 10:40 AM
Replies: 73 Anchor Bay to unleash 6 disc Halloween...
Views: 3,467 Posted By man*machine
Easy pass here, too. What a cheap-ass...

Easy pass here, too. What a cheap-ass repackaging of already available discs. And that mask is ridiculous looking. Anchor Bay is really desperate trying to milk this cow to death. $90???? ...
Forum: DVD Talk 07-13-08, 10:55 AM
Replies: 76 Mystery Science Theater 3000 20th Anniversary Set
Views: 4,995 Posted By man*machine
What a nice, really mature comment.

Forum: DVD Talk 07-09-08, 10:52 PM
Replies: 30 More Legend Films DVDs on July 1st
Views: 2,377 Posted By man*machine
Actually not. There really are no opening...

Actually not. There really are no opening credits to the film. It begins with a text of 'PHASE I' and goes on from there throughout the film, indicating the different phases with a text number as...
Forum: DVD Talk 07-06-08, 02:23 PM
Replies: 24 Fox Horror Classics, Vol. 2: 9/9/08
Views: 1,690 Posted By man*machine
Universal, not Paramount.

Forum: DVD Talk 07-05-08, 01:52 PM
Replies: 7 Best Buy Exclusive
Views: 860 Posted By man*machine
There are already threads discussing ALL the...

There are already threads discussing ALL the Legend/Paramount releases. Do we really need a separate thread for each of the 30+ titles?

I picked up PHASE IV two weeks ago at Best Buy, as well as...
Forum: DVD Talk 06-29-08, 11:48 AM
Replies: 23 Sony's Martini Movies - September 23!
Views: 1,472 Posted By man*machine
I always drink an extra-dry martini whenever...

I always drink an extra-dry martini whenever watching CREATURES THE WORLD FORGOT so I hope they release that one soon, too!
Forum: DVD Talk 06-28-08, 08:59 PM
Replies: 32 Heroes - Henry Winkler Song Replaced?
Views: 1,779 Posted By man*machine
You have to wonder why they even released this...

You have to wonder why they even released this film to begin with. Isn't there a popular tv-show called "HEROES" right now? I bet some Universal nitwit saw that they owned an "old" film in their...
Forum: DVD Talk 06-27-08, 10:35 AM
The song was also featured in the tv-spots for...

The song was also featured in the tv-spots for the film when it was first theatrically released. If there was ever a signature song for a film, this would be it.
Forum: DVD Talk 06-22-08, 05:03 PM
Replies: 40 Faces of Death: 30th Anniversary SE 10/7/08
Views: 2,145 Posted By man*machine
I'm sure the Dwyer footage was in the DEATH FACES...

I'm sure the Dwyer footage was in the DEATH FACES video series as well, and rockmjd23 already acknowledged that it was volume 2 and I have no reason not to believe his comment. That was definitely...
Forum: DVD Talk 06-22-08, 04:42 PM
Actually, I don't think the Budd Dwyer incident...

Actually, I don't think the Budd Dwyer incident is in any of the FACES OF DEATH films. I think it was featured in that later video-series known as "DEATH FACES" - I don't know which volume off-hand....
Forum: DVD Talk 06-22-08, 04:16 PM
Replies: 47 Out-Of-Print Titles (recently discovered) [2nd thread]
Views: 6,628 Posted By man*machine
Ya, that last one was just "ultimate". ...

Ya, that last one was just "ultimate". The next one is going to be the super-duper wow-wow-wow ultimate eXtreme set.
Forum: Movie Talk 06-17-08, 08:55 PM
Replies: 440 M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening"
Views: 22,066 Posted By man*machine
Ha! Humble is not a word I would ever associate...

Ha! Humble is not a word I would ever associate at all with Shyamalan. Remember, he cast himself as a messiah!

THE HAPPENING is brilliant, though. Surreal terrible filmmaking taken to new...
Old 08-02-08, 04:58 PM

Yes, I am very negative. I agree. See, I'm getting more positive!

Don't you have anything better to do, by the way?

Originally Posted by scott1598
in fact do you ever have anything nice to say? i think they have a prescription that might help...

Views: 3 Posted By man*machine

OK - I've seen some very poorly written reviews in my time, especially in this internet era where everyone is a critic, but exactly what criteria is involved to become a reviewer for DVD Talk? ...
Forum: Movie Talk 07-28-08, 01:10 PM
INDY 4 was one of the dullest films I've seen all...

INDY 4 was one of the dullest films I've seen all year. Just because there's lots of 'action' doesn't make it interesting. I almost walked out halfway through. I cannot even fathom the concept of...
Forum: Movie Talk 07-27-08, 06:56 PM
If you actually sat through Indy 4 four times,...

If you actually sat through Indy 4 four times, your critical opinion of ANY movie is completely nil.
Forum: DVD Talk 07-17-08, 02:50 PM
Replies: 11 ANYWHERE to find Anchor Bay's R1 'Quatermass & the Pit'?
Views: 559 Posted By man*machine
This has been fetching big prices for several...

This has been fetching big prices for several years already. You're not going to find a new one at any on-line merchant for $14.99. It's been OOP and dried up for a very long time. You'll just...
Forum: DVD Talk 07-15-08, 10:17 PM
Replies: 20 Finally! Director's Cut of "54" with Mike Myers & Ryan Phillippe
Views: 816 Posted By man*machine
"54" was quite bad, I agree, but...

"54" was quite bad, I agree, but "LAST DAYS OF DISCO" was absolutely wretched and completetely unauthentic in trying to represent the 70's. Does anyone who actually grew up back in the 70's...
Forum: DVD Talk 07-14-08, 10:40 AM
Replies: 73 Anchor Bay to unleash 6 disc Halloween...
Views: 3,467 Posted By man*machine
Easy pass here, too. What a cheap-ass...

Easy pass here, too. What a cheap-ass repackaging of already available discs. And that mask is ridiculous looking. Anchor Bay is really desperate trying to milk this cow to death. $90???? ...
Forum: DVD Talk 07-13-08, 10:55 AM
Replies: 76 Mystery Science Theater 3000 20th Anniversary Set
Views: 4,995 Posted By man*machine

Forum: DVD Talk 07-09-08, 10:52 PM
Replies: 30 More Legend Films DVDs on July 1st
Views: 2,377 Posted By man*machine
Actually not. There really are no opening...

Actually not. There really are no opening credits to the film. It begins with a text of 'PHASE I' and goes on from there throughout the film, indicating the different phases with a text number as...
Forum: DVD Talk 07-06-08, 02:23 PM
Replies: 24 Fox Horror Classics, Vol. 2: 9/9/08
Views: 1,690 Posted By man*machine

Forum: DVD Talk 07-05-08, 01:52 PM
Replies: 7 Best Buy Exclusive
Views: 860 Posted By man*machine
There are already threads discussing ALL the...

There are already threads discussing ALL the Legend/Paramount releases. Do we really need a separate thread for each of the 30+ titles?

I picked up PHASE IV two weeks ago at Best Buy, as well as...
Forum: DVD Talk 06-29-08, 11:48 AM
Replies: 23 Sony's Martini Movies - September 23!
Views: 1,472 Posted By man*machine
I always drink an extra-dry martini whenever...

I always drink an extra-dry martini whenever watching CREATURES THE WORLD FORGOT so I hope they release that one soon, too!
Forum: DVD Talk 06-28-08, 08:59 PM
You have to wonder why they even released this...

You have to wonder why they even released this film to begin with. Isn't there a popular tv-show called "HEROES" right now? I bet some Universal nitwit saw that they owned an "old" film in their...
Forum: DVD Talk 06-27-08, 10:35 AM
The song was also featured in the tv-spots for...

The song was also featured in the tv-spots for the film when it was first theatrically released. If there was ever a signature song for a film, this would be it.
Forum: DVD Talk 06-22-08, 05:03 PM
I'm sure the Dwyer footage was in the DEATH FACES...

I'm sure the Dwyer footage was in the DEATH FACES video series as well, and rockmjd23 already acknowledged that it was volume 2 and I have no reason not to believe his comment. That was definitely...
Forum: DVD Talk 06-22-08, 04:42 PM
Actually, I don't think the Budd Dwyer incident...

Actually, I don't think the Budd Dwyer incident is in any of the FACES OF DEATH films. I think it was featured in that later video-series known as "DEATH FACES" - I don't know which volume off-hand....
Forum: DVD Talk 06-22-08, 04:16 PM
Replies: 47 Out-Of-Print Titles (recently discovered) [2nd thread]
Views: 6,628 Posted By man*machine
Ya, that last one was just "ultimate". ...

Ya, that last one was just "ultimate". The next one is going to be the super-duper wow-wow-wow ultimate eXtreme set.
Forum: Movie Talk 06-17-08, 08:55 PM
Replies: 440 M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening"
Views: 22,066 Posted By man*machine
Ha! Humble is not a word I would ever associate...

Ha! Humble is not a word I would ever associate at all with Shyamalan. Remember, he cast himself as a messiah!

THE HAPPENING is brilliant, though. Surreal terrible filmmaking taken to new...
Old 08-02-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Putzer may not like the film and that's easily understood as with various opinions of any film. I think the film is quite bad myself,"

What a way to completely invalidate your entire rant. The average joe aren't going to know about the film trailers that are on that release, will they? To me, also by the comments the person above took the time to post, it just sounds like you're somebody who is a complete film snob and expects that everyone knows everything you do.

And even if they did? So what? They're going to have different opinions then you, they're going to have a world of different knowledge, and different opinions on that different knowledge than you. A reviewer can absolutely take something they've never even heard of before, and review it. And that's probably the best reivew anyways, right? A completely unbiased opinion? Do you think everyone who buys every movie wikipedia'd and studied up on the directors or the films from that era in order to enjoy what they're about to watch? Absolutely not. Sorry the reviewers don't live up to your standard. Perhaps you'd feel better over at rottentomatos, eh?

DVDTalk reviewers are regular people, just like you. And I prefer reading the reviews of people like that, instead of the 'major' film critics. Big film critics are tearing films apart way too much. Some films are made to be just cheesy and fun, and a reviewer that's getting paid in mainstream media will overlook that. Not every film is out there to be an oscar winner.

We're not getting paid for what we do, we do it because it's a love of ours. That's what I think makes reviews on a site like this so vital for the world of home entertainment... it's because REGULAR people are reading reviews by OTHER regular people. What the hell kind of credentials did you think we had anyway?

Last edited by mzupeman2; 08-02-08 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-02-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts
"I may not have a lot of "credentials" or "training", but I'll tell you one thing - I'm a P.H.D. in pain."
Old 08-02-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by man*machine
I have a B.A. in History for Georgia State University, a J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center, and an LL.M. in Natural Resource and Environmental Law from Lewis & Clark Law School. I'm currently licensed to drive and practice law. I also hold a valid marriage license. I have previously been, but am not now, certified to scuba dive, life guard, paratroop, and practice CPR and battlefield first aid. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few credentials and certifications, but I hope I've adequately addressed your question.

Oh and I've never lived in my parents' basement. In fact, my parents do not now nor have they ever, to my knowledge, had a basement.
Old 08-02-08, 09:33 PM
Defunct Account

That incoherent rant was because you didn't like what he said about a trailer included on a disc??? Wow. Time to go back on your meds man.

And just for the record, DVDTalk will consider anyone who can write clearly and intelligently for a reviewer's position. So in other words, Machine Man needn't apply.
Old 08-02-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I thought this was going to be about Orndorff
Old 08-02-08, 10:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I just read a DVD-Talk review from some guy named Gerry Putzer (wow, a name that actually fits - you go Putz!)
Watch the name calling. We suspend for those kinds of personal attacks, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt about knowing it actually was an attack.
Old 08-02-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
I have a B.A. in History for Georgia State University, a J.D. from Georgetown University Law Center, and an LL.M. in Natural Resource and Environmental Law from Lewis & Clark Law School. I'm currently licensed to drive and practice law. I also hold a valid marriage license. I have previously been, but am not now, certified to scuba dive, life guard, paratroop, and practice CPR and battlefield first aid. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few credentials and certifications, but I hope I've adequately addressed your question.
I think he talking about "film-related" qualifications.
Old 08-02-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Watch the name calling. We suspend for those kinds of personal attacks, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt about knowing it actually was an attack.
Don't forget these :

What a complete joke this Putz is.

My definition of a loser has just been redefined.
In addition to his whole attack against DVD Talk.
Old 08-02-08, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by John Sinnott
That incoherent rant was because you didn't like what he said about a trailer included on a disc??? Wow. Time to go back on your meds man.

And just for the record, DVDTalk will consider anyone who can write clearly and intelligently for a reviewer's position. So in other words, Machine Man needn't apply.
Damnnabdarnit all. I had high hopes for that man.
Old 08-03-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Goldblum
I think he talking about "film-related" qualifications.
Fine, here are a few bits without posting my vitae:

I used to work into the distribution system for a European film licensor (handled five of the majors and a few smaller independent distribs, two very big European studios). I hold a BM. MM. and DM in Music, postdoctoral work on Italian cinema and classical music research. I've done a fair amount of research on Eastern European cinema as well. My research is published in France as well as the US.

There are a few other projects I am currently involved with but these we can discuss next year at the earliest.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-03-08 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Fine, here are a few bits without posting my vitae:

I used to work into the distribution system for a European film licensor (handled five of the majors and a few smaller independent distribs, two very big European studios). I hold a BM. MM. and DM in Music........etc
That's all well and good, but......

Did you like:

[] Yes
[] No
Old 08-03-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do not bring back the Good Burger rage
Old 08-03-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Love his user title!
Old 08-03-08, 02:06 PM
Registered

man*machine what kind of posting credentials do you have? Did you ever take the forum member test? What was your score?

I think there are far more qualified posters on this forum to pose these types of questions.
Old 08-03-08, 05:19 PM

i wish i could go back and get a nimrod status
Old 08-03-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Does an insulting customer usertitle/status count as a "personal attack"? Users can't change those themselves, can they? Just asking. I have no dog in this fight, but I'd hate to see one party/parties calling something out as a "personal attack", then basically doing the same, in a more underhanded way.
Old 08-03-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Maybe that is a custom Suspended or Banned title...
Old 08-03-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never seen so many avatars in a single DVD Talk thread before. I thought I was on the wrong board for a moment there.
Old 08-03-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Does an insulting customer usertitle/status count as a "personal attack"? Users can't change those themselves, can they? Just asking. I have no dog in this fight, but I'd hate to see one party/parties calling something out as a "personal attack", then basically doing the same, in a more underhanded way.
You have a very valid point here, but the fact of the matter is, you never really see mods or admins here abusing their power. This guy was blatantly being rude and disrespectful. He's also had a history of being a negative nancy, to boot.

I'm an admin at another forum, and we just let the place do its thing but once in a great while, something comes along where something like that not only puts someone in their place, but it provides a little relief and chuckle for anyone else who happens to read it.
Old 08-03-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Geoff's post above explains perfectly why this isn't a fight.

Pro-B

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.