Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Moving duplicate threads: 2008 San Diego International Comic Con July 24-27

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Moving duplicate threads: 2008 San Diego International Comic Con July 24-27

Old 07-07-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why was this moved to Comic-Book forum? Half of the con even deals with comics anymore. Last years was kept in Otter and it got lots of traffic. Now it'll die a slow death
Old 07-08-08, 03:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

Feedback as to proper forum has been split and moved here by me, Benedict

I am sorry if the move to the on-topic forum disappoints.

Had the thread in Comic Talk started later than yours perhaps things would have been different but, essentially, yours was the duplicate thread.

With regard to dying a slow death, I sincerely hope that is not the case.

It should be stressed that, in cases where there is already a "proper" home for a topic, the argument that a thread will attract more traffic in Other isn't one that carries weight. That way lies madness.

And, yes, I accept that duplicates are sometimes allowed and that from time to time, especially where there is a judgement call to be made, it will be possible for someone so minded to discern possible inconsistency.

If it helps, the Comic Talk thread was still on page one at the time of the merge. I hope that other DVDTalkers who may not often stray outside of Other will be able to takke this opportunity to broaden their horizons and marvel at the delights of Comic Talk. Book Talk, too!
Old 07-08-08, 05:44 AM

Why was this moved to Comic-Book forum?
Because it is still a predominately comic book related event so that is the most appropriate forum. We try to keep things grouped logically like this since believe it or not not everyone visits the Other Forum In very rare cases we have allowed duplicate threads but usually those focus on different aspects of the same discussion, so there might be a thread in the Political Forum focusing on election results at the same time as a thread in Other w/ people telling of their odd experiences at the polling station (so one focusing on the politics and the other on the personal experience). I just don't see this type of division w/ a convention thread though so the most appropriate place is the Comic Book Forum. Apologies we missed last year's thread and created this confusion.
Old 07-08-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a Comic Book Forum??
Old 07-08-08, 11:30 AM
X
Administrator

Especially with the duplicates, the latest in Movie Talk, the consolidated thread should be in the forum most appropriate for its subject.
Old 07-08-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In defense, anyone that has been to one lately will tell you that, even though it's namesake is "Comic Con", the focus has shifted to movies and TV. Yes, a lot of comic book purists aren't happy but it is what it is.

Last year we not only had a very lively thread in Otter but another DVD-related thread in the main forum. It might be one event but it covers so many diverse topics that may not see much "cross-pollination" but the DVDTalk members. I always thought Otter was a good "catch all" forum for things such as this.

From my understanding, this event is big enough that DVDTalk is sending an intrepid reporter to cover it. Seems like something worthy of an exception. Why not allow a good number of the members to enjoy the pics and descriptions of the happenings? Most people can't make it yet, last year, some posted that it was great to experience it without actually being there. If the thread gets hidden in the Comic Book forum then, unless the traffic picks up, I don't see the point of my continued participation in updates and helpful tips.

Okay, I've had my say and I'll end my rant. Thanks for listening.
Old 07-08-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I understand the logic of moving the thread to the Comic Forum, I fully agree with Tom's assessment and request - nay, demand - that it moved back to Otter.

I'm totally kidding on that demand part, okay?
Old 07-09-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, Bronkster. As I predicted, the thread is gonna die. Last night I posted Friday's schedule and, usually, there will be a flurry of activity. Nothing but crickets.
Old 07-12-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by benedict
With regard to dying a slow death, I sincerely hope that is not the case.
As everyone pretty knew what would happen did. Here are some stats:

Original thread ran 6/12 to 6/27 = 8 total posts

Otter thread ran 7/3 to 7/7 = 47 total posts

Movie thread on 7/7 = 14 posts

Threads merged, left in Comic Book Forum 7/8 to present = 11 posts

It should be stressed that, in cases where there is already a "proper" home for a topic, the argument that a thread will attract more traffic in Other isn't one that carries weight. That way lies madness.
Look at the current thread. Look at last year's thread. An extremely small percentage of the posts actually talk about comic books. It's more about the event. It's talk about meeting up, schedules, movie panels and exclusives. If most of the posts were comic book related, I'd agree with it's "proper" home. If I'm wrong about the discussion content, feel free to provide proof.

Plus those that think "Comic-Con" is mostly about comics is either ill-informed or have never been to one recently. You just have to ask anyone who's been there.
Old 07-14-08, 04:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

TomOpus, you have received three replies from moderators and I'm not sure that a barrage of stats etc is going to divert matters from those parts of the responses that you didn't quote.

Essentially, yours was a duplicate thread. Sometimes these are allowed across a couple of forums. And, yes, sometimes there can be an element of inconsistency. However, the crux of your argument seems to be that (last year and this?*) the thread did better in Other than it did in Comic Talk or elsewhere.

That could be said of a lot of threads but we're not yet ready to fold back all the smaller forums into Other in order that members unable or unwilling to venture further afield can be exposed to them.

I believe that when Patman starts one of his annual Dragoncon threads there is a questionmark as to where it should live - from time to time it has been moved from, say, TV Talk to Other. So, I can appreciate where you are coming from and your annoyance that the name of the convention, and its original raison d'etre, conspires to marginalise it here.

I can also see how it would be disappointing when people who post in both Other and Book/Comic Talk weren't contributing greatly to the thread following its move - although that seems to have picked up a little over the weekend, so maybe it is primarily a timing issue.

In the past I've put a link in my sig to a thread that I was hoping people would read and respond to - I think others have done something similar. Maybe you could try this and see if it sends DVDTalkers in the direction you'd like.

No guarantees but if next year you entitle the thread "Otter Meet @ the Sandiego Convention?" (or whatever), and concentrate the opening post on the non-comicbook element of the event, it could be that there would be less imperative for pesky mods such as myself to seek to categorise the thing other than you might wish.

(* Having said all this, last year there were one or two successful San Diego ComiCon threads in Comic Talk. And, yes, I neglected to merge them!)
Old 07-14-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Threads get lots of hits and posts in Other simply because people click on anything there (I know, I do it). You get lots of "Nice pics", "looks cool", and "more photos of Jabba's barge Leia ", but that's just drive-by posting.

So the question is, are you looking for interest from people actually seeking out a thread on Comic-Con, or are you just posting information that you want to be seen by the greatest number of people possible, regardless of their actual interest?
Old 07-14-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In the past I've put a link in my sig to a thread that I was hoping people would read and respond to - I think others have done something similar. Maybe you could try this and see if it sends DVDTalkers in the direction you'd like.

No guarantees but if next year you entitle the thread "Otter Meet @ the Sandiego Convention?" (or whatever), and concentrate the opening post on the non-comicbook element of the event, it could be that there would be less imperative for pesky mods such as myself to seek to categorise the thing other than you might wish.
I actually did think about both ideas you brought up. Yeah, I live for loopholes

The former...well, I kinda feel it's too late. I should've done when I thought of it back when the threads were merged.

The latter ....I was going to PM a mod next year to see if it was cool to do before I actually did it. I'm just a little worried it'll get shut down if the posts start to meander away from an actual meet. But I will keep it in mind for next year. Unless I get hit by a bus. or The Bus.
Old 07-14-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
So the question is, are you looking for interest from people actually seeking out a thread on Comic-Con, or are you just posting information that you want to be seen by the greatest number of people possible, regardless of their actual interest?
I would hope more of the former and less of the latter. Otter is fairly diverse in it's viewership in that there's probably more cross-viewing there than any other forum. Last year I got PM's from some people who didn't even post in the thread. Some were curious and some needed advice.

If last year's thread died a quick death then I would've surmised that interest level was low. Or people actively avoided Kudama threads But since it was a pretty lively thread, I assumed there was a good number of Otters who were truly interested and I wanted to provide some information and assistance to fellow Otters who might be going for the first time this year due to what they read in last year's thread.