Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Release List problem with Safari browser

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/bargain.php

You can click the links at the top to show only DVD, Blu-Ray, or HD-DVD (??). This works fine in IE and Firefox but in Safari it appends the list to the bottom. (At first I didn't think it worked, at all)

Any chance you can fix this?
Old 06-21-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump.
Old 07-15-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awesome, I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Bump bump bump. It's just a simple code fix. Is it that much to ask for code that is compliant with Web standards??
Old 07-15-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This would have already been fixed if Geoff was still in charge.
Old 07-16-08, 01:24 PM
Cool New Member

Hi I am Kunal a webmaster working for internet brands. For the issue concerned I would like to let you all know we are currently looking into it.
Old 07-16-08, 02:01 PM
Internet Brands

Hello all,

I'm Dick, and I'm one of the IB guys who work on DVDTalk. Like Kunal said, we're currently looking into the issue.

Just so you know, Safari (which is my personal browser of choice) has many known issues with javascript. An excellent example of this is with WYSIWYG editors-- they just don't work well in Safari. This often causes a problem with AJAX (the cool technology that allows you to update websites without refreshing the page) because AJAX uses javascript. We've got a great AJAX person here, and if there's anyone who can fix it, he can. I just want to prepare you for the worst... it may not be fixable!

Apple is well aware of their .js issues, so I'm sure it won't be a big problem for long.
Old 07-16-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
Hello all,

I'm Dick, and I'm one of the IB guys who work on DVDTalk. Like Kunal said, we're currently looking into the issue.

Just so you know, Safari (which is my personal browser of choice) has many known issues with javascript. An excellent example of this is with WYSIWYG editors-- they just don't work well in Safari. This often causes a problem with AJAX (the cool technology that allows you to update websites without refreshing the page) because AJAX uses javascript. We've got a great AJAX person here, and if there's anyone who can fix it, he can. I just want to prepare you for the worst... it may not be fixable!

Apple is well aware of their .js issues, so I'm sure it won't be a big problem for long.
Thanks for looking into this issue, but I think your information is a little out of date. Safari has supported contenteditable since 3.0, and there have been hugely significant improvements to its JavaScript first in 3.0 and then again in 3.1. There are no longer any significant incompatibilities with Safari's implementation of DOM or Ajax features as far as I am aware.
Old 07-16-08, 03:59 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Thanks for looking into this issue, but I think your information is a little out of date. Safari has supported contenteditable since 3.0, and there have been hugely significant improvements to its JavaScript first in 3.0 and then again in 3.1. There are no longer any significant incompatibilities with Safari's implementation of DOM or Ajax features as far as I am aware.
Well, I'm not saying that you are wrong.... But I use Safari daily as my browser, and I can promise you that there are at least 3 sites that I can't use it on because it simply doesn't work with the WYSIWYG editor. That's not an out of date issue... I just verified it. Just about the only one I've been able to get it to work well on is the newest version of wordpress'.

I was incorrect about the design of the release list, though. It's not AJAX, it's DHTML. Me and my crazy assumptions.
Old 07-27-08, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Talk Admin
Hi I am Kunal a webmaster working for internet brands. For the issue concerned I would like to let you all know we are currently looking into it.
Hello all,

So what's the scoop guys? This is a super easy fix.

The side-push to blame doesn't help.

I understand that you guys really don't care about this site, but seriously it is fixable. Just ask for help as it seems you need it.
Old 07-28-08, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Class, Beuller, Beuller? Anyone?

**crickets**

(note, soley pointed at the site owners, not at the mods/admins)
Old 07-28-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
If you see what's wrong, please let me know: I think I have access to make the fix.

I don't use Safari, so I can't see this problem myself without downloading it (which, I know...I know...lazy), but even though it technically works in IE, I get a Javascript error when I click. The line number of the error corresponds to ad code if I'm reading it correctly, but nothing leaps out at me as being wrong with it. You might be savvier with Javascript than I am, though, or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. Maybe both.

This is kind of an old, dusty page that's had a bunch of formatting and extra features piled on top of it (and FWIW, the 'it's broken' part probably predates IB), and the whole thing could probably stand to be rewritten.
Old 07-28-08, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If you see what's wrong, please let me know: I think I have access to make the fix.

I don't use Safari, so I can't see this problem myself without downloading it (which, I know...I know...lazy), but even though it technically works in IE, I get a Javascript error when I click. The line number of the error corresponds to ad code if I'm reading it correctly, but nothing leaps out at me as being wrong with it. You might be savvier with Javascript than I am, though, or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. Maybe both.

This is kind of an old, dusty page that's had a bunch of formatting and extra features piled on top of it (and FWIW, the 'it's broken' part probably predates IB), and the whole thing could probably stand to be rewritten.
Adam,

It's obviously not that big of a deal. It's more about the lack of attention from the guys that do get paid to run this place.

I just wish the IB guys would take "some" ownership of this site. Make them fix it, instead of a here and there line and never follow up.

I'm just amazed at how they blow this place off.

I know the issue and I think I know the quick fix, but I'd rather they PM me since they get paid. At some point they will have to start caring, when you guys aren't so generous.
Old 07-29-08, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, it's been two months and there's been zero movement on this, so I just took 10 minutes and found the problem. Here's the fix. Thanks, Adam.
<code>
263,264c263,264
&lt; &lt;FONT face=&quot;verdana&quot; size=&quot;2&quot;&gt; &lt;/b&gt;
&lt; &lt;span id=&quot;blockDVD&quot;&gt;
---
&gt; &lt;FONT face=&quot;verdana&quot; size=&quot;2&quot;&gt;
&gt; &lt;div id=&quot;blockDVD&quot;&gt;
1055,1056c1055,1056
&lt; &lt;/span&gt;
&lt; &lt;span id=&quot;blockBLU-RAY&quot; style=&quot;display:none&quot;&gt;
---
&gt; &lt;/div&gt;
&gt; &lt;div id=&quot;blockBLU-RAY&quot; style=&quot;display:none&quot;&gt;
1374c1374
&lt; &lt;/span&gt;
---
&gt; &lt;/div&gt;
</code>

You can't say display: block on an inline element.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 07-29-08 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alright, it's been two months and there's been zero movement on this, so I just took 10 minutes and found the problem. Here's the fix. Thanks, Adam.
<code>
263,264c263,264
&lt; &lt;FONT face=&quot;verdana&quot; size=&quot;2&quot;&gt; &lt;/b&gt;
&lt; &lt;span id=&quot;blockDVD&quot;&gt;
---
&gt; &lt;FONT face=&quot;verdana&quot; size=&quot;2&quot;&gt;
&gt; &lt;div id=&quot;blockDVD&quot;&gt;
1055,1056c1055,1056
&lt; &lt;/span&gt;
&lt; &lt;span id=&quot;blockBLU-RAY&quot; style=&quot;display:none&quot;&gt;
---
&gt; &lt;/div&gt;
&gt; &lt;div id=&quot;blockBLU-RAY&quot; style=&quot;display:none&quot;&gt;
1374c1374
&lt; &lt;/span&gt;
---
&gt; &lt;/div&gt;
</code>
I don't doubt that that won't work, and I'm sure it will, but it's really sad when a huge company with who knows how many resources, cannot fix something in a two month period that someone figured out how to fix in ten minutes. Maybe those who are in charge should spend a little less time saying they're aware of something wrong and having multiple people reply about it, and more time actually fixing something that appears to not take too long to fix if they had actually cared enough to do so.
Old 07-29-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'm not saying that you are wrong.... But I use Safari daily as my browser, and I can promise you that there are at least 3 sites that I can't use it on because it simply doesn't work with the WYSIWYG editor. That's not an out of date issue... I just verified it. Just about the only one I've been able to get it to work well on is the newest version of wordpress'.
Not to belabor this point, but doesn't the fact that you can get it to work on at least one site lead you to believe that maybe the other sites are using outdated web-based WYSIWYG editors? Again, Apple released a fully-functional implementation of contenteditable with Safari 3.

Here is a compatibility announcement from September of last year from the author of one popular editor:

http://osdir.com/ml/os.opendarwin.we.../msg00068.html
Old 07-29-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I don't have Safari on my machine at work to test, but can you let me know if it's working now?

You can't say display: block on an inline element.
What should I be using? I picked that habit up from the graphic designer in my office, but I have no idea if it's considered to be correct or not.
Old 07-29-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't have Safari on my machine at work to test, but can you let me know if it's working now?
It works now, thanks.

What should I be using? I picked that habit up from the graphic designer in my office, but I have no idea if it's considered to be correct or not.
Graphic designers generally write horrible markup. &lt;div&gt; is a block element, &lt;span&gt; is an inline element. Saying "display: block;" on an inline element is meaningless, although Firefox and IE are more forgiving about it.

Thanks again!
Old 07-30-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whoo hoo, nearly two months to change a simple line of code.
Old 07-30-08, 09:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000
And it didn't cost you a penny!
Old 07-30-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by shaun3000
To be fair, I looked at the problem when you first mentioned it and couldn't spot what was wrong. Because it worked in Firefox and Internet Explorer and because I have essentially no familiarity with how Safari works specifically, I didn't know what to do. The HTML in that page is kind of a mess, and that makes it tough to track down where the problem is...plus, for all I knew, maybe Safari just didn't 'like' that sort of visibility toggling. If I'd been pointed in the right direction earlier, I would've made the fix then. If not for Breakfast with Girls, it'd probably still be broken.