Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why was this thread closed? (merged)

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Why was this thread closed? (merged)

Old 04-23-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why was this thread closed?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=529932

I'm just curious because the stated reason was:

Originally Posted by nemein
Since it's marked NSFW chances are it doesn't belong here. I didn't actually look at it since it seems the links are getting edited out since they are on our disallowed list (at least that's my assumption why they are coming up as www..com). That's strike two for the thread and in this case that means it's out of here/locked.
I understand the second reason, but the first seems dubious. NSFW stuff gets posted here all the time. More confused/curious than anything else.
Old 04-23-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The post linked to a site that wasn't allowed here so there was nothing displayed which essentially made it an empty post.
Old 04-23-08, 09:03 AM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
Since you know who closed it I suppose you could email the moderator for further details.
Old 04-23-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I reported the thread since it evidently was crap.
Old 04-23-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahaha... This place has become rather ridiculous. Staff decisions seem to baffle more than they appease. *sigh*
Old 04-24-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
FWIW, that video has made national news. I actually saw it featured last night on Bill O'Reilly.
Old 04-25-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FWIW, the video has now been posted in the Random Video thread.

Is it fair to ask why the original site is banned from here? If memory serves is was just some random hip-hop site, but I'm not for certain.
Old 04-25-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why was the dirty joke thread closed? Spoilerized innuendos are too much for Internet Brands INC?
Old 04-25-08, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Why was the dirty joke thread closed? Spoilerized innuendos are too much for Internet Brands INC?

Actually that was a decision I made on my own. When we had the Adult forum it was easy, since that's no longer an option to move threads too we're having to make things up as we go along. I'm trying to get a conversation going w/ the admin/mods (and hopefully the owner rep if they want to respond) about this topic right now so we can have some better/more defined rules about what is/isn't allowed. In the meantime though, I'm working under my current "marching orders" to try and keep things family friendly so I felt it best to close the thread before it got too out of hand (there had already been at least one RTP).
Old 04-25-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So dirty jokes are not ok but words like "faggot, fuck, ****, pussy and dick" are "family friendly"?!? Are you kidding me?

edit to add: btw, I think the word "faggot" is a horrible word and I never use it. I hope using it here today to illustrate my point didn't offend anyone.

Last edited by Kittydreamer; 04-25-08 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. This is absurd.
Old 04-25-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
Another "why was this thread closed?"

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=530313

Obviously, I know why it was closed as stated by the mod. But, it seems extremely contradictory when we can already use any form of profanity here. People curse all the time in threads. Pictures of people penetrating each other with genitalia (blurred out) is acceptable in advertising here. It's obvious why that is a double standard, but that's for another thread. How is it that there is such a double standard on what is allowed and what isn't, when this place is far from family friendly and hasn't been for quite some time.

Last edited by Deftones; 04-25-08 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...60&postcount=9
Old 04-25-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Didn't realize people started talking about the joke thread in here.
Old 04-25-08, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
So dirty jokes are not ok but words like "faggot, fuck, ****, pussy and dick" are "family friendly"?!? Are you kidding me?
[BTW I thought some of these were in the word filter but I guess not...]

Originally Posted by Seantn
Agreed. This is absurd.
Originally Posted by Deftones
How is it that there is such a double standard on what is allowed and what isn't, when this place is far from family friendly and hasn't been for quite some time.

I think this is all fair criticism and all I can say is you should try it from this side of the issue. We have users who no longer have an outlet for content they want, as they can't/won't access xcritic, and people pushing the limit all the time. On the flip side we have RTPs and a somewhat stated policy of trying to keep the place somewhat respectable. That's why I'm hoping to get a conversation going w/ the "powers that be" so we can come up w/ more definitive guidelines. I'll let you know though w/ how these things have gone in the past this won't be a quick process.
Old 04-25-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

We all appreciate your timely answers and input. Just trying to figure out how there become such a big double standard here with content. Obviously, it's mostly due to $$$$. But, in the past Geoff has always said the site has wasn't intended to be viewed at work b/c there might be objectionable content. Now, we all know Geoff isn't the big cheese anymore, and the site may want to change it's direction and focus. But it seems like it's been unannounced change that happened abruptly.
Old 04-25-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Pictures of people penetrating each other with genitalia (blurred out) is acceptable in advertising here.
Way to work in "penetrating"....and of course, referencing one of my favorite threads ever.
Old 04-25-08, 05:29 PM

But it seems like it's been unannounced change that happened abruptly.
That I disagree w/. In the past we would just shuffle such threads to the adult forum, if they weren't started there in the first place. So the old standard for Other is what I'm still working under, w/ the exception of having to close threads since we can't move them anymore. Now regarding that standard and why certain words are allowed and others aren't that's a fair discussion to have, and IMHO it's mainly going to be up to the new owners to decide what they want. It's my understanding part of the agreement in the sale was splitting off the Adult Forum to it's own site. So I think the fact that has gone away is the main cause of the recent confusion since there's no outlet for that type of material anymore.
Old 04-25-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 575 Posts
S****** is in the word filter...
Old 04-25-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shithead? Nope. hmmmmm
Old 04-25-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Every so often we get pretty stupid around here. This seems to be one of those times.

Somebody email me when the sanity returns.
Old 04-25-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
That I disagree w/. In the past we would just shuffle such threads to the adult forum, if they weren't started there in the first place. So the old standard for Other is what I'm still working under, w/ the exception of having to close threads since we can't move them anymore. Now regarding that standard and why certain words are allowed and others aren't that's a fair discussion to have, and IMHO it's mainly going to be up to the new owners to decide what they want. It's my understanding part of the agreement in the sale was splitting off the Adult Forum to it's own site. So I think the fact that has gone away is the main cause of the recent confusion since there's no outlet for that type of material anymore.
Perhaps we can revert to the old-old standard, from before there was an Adult Forum. There were cheesecake photo threads. People told ribald jokes. The Devil's Member smiley was introduced.
Old 04-25-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mmmmm....this is something I want my boys to see!

This too!

Now, explain to me how these are ok but a silly joke about some dude's friend tricking the wife into showing him her boobs is not ok? Shoot, my 5 year old can't read yet but he sure can see the pictures just fine. Rule of thumb at my house is when surfing Otter, the kids are elsewhere. Family friendly my butt.
Old 04-25-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those examples above might be bad, but I will say I am excited about watching Women's Prison Massacre- Caged Women(Uncut!) with the family this weekend. Kids have been asking for a while when we would finally get the uncut version - if I hadn't noticed it on the front page, I wouldn't have known it was available.

Old 04-25-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Mmmmm....this is something I want my boys to see!

I don't think they need to be seeing any more of that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.