Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

So, why isn't DVDTalk running a later version of vB?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 04-12-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Just curious...the latest release is 3.7.0 RC3 or 3.6.9? Or even if it's updated to the latest in the same series, 3.0.17? Wouldn't this show solidarity, considering that DVDTalk and vB are both owned by IB?
Old 04-13-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you never upgrade to the latest version without testing

we run sql 2005 SP2 with a hotfix in production. build 3161. latest build is 3228 and there is a 3250 patch out. we run that on a few test servers but for anything more we'll spend a month testing it in QA
Old 04-13-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I still run Windows for Workgroups.
Old 04-13-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IB is a large publicly held corp. It is to their advantage to have a large number of sites with a lot of unique hits and advertising revenue. This makes shareholders happy and can also increase the value of the shares.

Where does "let's keep those sites all up to date!" fit into that? Only in a long term view.

I do not believe they are that involved in VB either. They just own it. Notice a trend?

On the other hand... keeping the forum updated costs money (labor). Add in that this forum has a lot of modifications (hacks) that it is a non-trivial task.

On my smaller forums, I can update without thinking about it much. 30 minutes, done. On my larger forum, I can't. I am still running a 3.6.6 and upgrading to 3.6 was very painful. On other forums, I am now running release candidate 3 and waiting on 3.7 Gold.
Old 04-13-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
I still run Windows for Workgroups.

ahhh..the memories.

seriously speaking tho, the oldest pc i have now is win 98 se, which i almost never use.
Old 04-13-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RandyC
IB is a large publicly held corp. It is to their advantage to have a large number of sites with a lot of unique hits and advertising revenue. This makes shareholders happy and can also increase the value of the shares.

Where does "let's keep those sites all up to date!" fit into that? Only in a long term view.

I do not believe they are that involved in VB either. They just own it. Notice a trend?

On the other hand... keeping the forum updated costs money (labor). Add in that this forum has a lot of modifications (hacks) that it is a non-trivial task.

On my smaller forums, I can update without thinking about it much. 30 minutes, done. On my larger forum, I can't. I am still running a 3.6.6 and upgrading to 3.6 was very painful. On other forums, I am now running release candidate 3 and waiting on 3.7 Gold.

makes sense.
Old 04-13-08, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by D.Pham00
Just curious...the latest release is 3.7.0 RC3 or 3.6.9? Or even if it's updated to the latest in the same series, 3.0.17? Wouldn't this show solidarity, considering that DVDTalk and vB are both owned by IB?
IB is the corporate. No money in upgrading. They don't care about this site other than to make ad money.

Try and email them about anything. You will get 1 automated response and nothing else.

They don't give a shit about the user base.
Old 04-13-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would probably take time and money to upgrade, and I doubt very many come to post on DVDTalk, and then are like "Oh wait, these guys are running an old version of vB, nevermind I'm going to post on DVDudez.org instead."