Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Quick Reply tweak request...

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

This has always annoyed me - when you hit quick reply on a specific post, it jumps you to the bottom where you can go ahead and type your response... focused on my thoughts, I often forget to tick the box that quotes what the person said. This sometimes creates confusion to the flow of the thread I think. Anyway - I would like it if that box was automatically checked. I mean, if we didn't want to reply to someone specifically and include their text in a quote, then we would simply jump to the bottom of the page and start typing.
Old 04-03-08, 10:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I never even knew we had a quick reply button. I thought you were confusing your forums until I moused over that button that I've been ignoring for 9 years.

I always just hit the quote button. Is there a difference?
Old 04-03-08, 11:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I don't understand why someone would hit the quick reply button instead of the quote button if they wanted to quote a post. The buttons are right next to each other and the quote button was put there for that specific purpose.

I can see a server-load reason for doing it, but that would require that each post on the page be put in code associated with the quick reply button in case someone used it instead of the quote button and that would probably negate the reason for having it.
Old 04-03-08, 11:40 PM

Exactly, it appears that the quick reply button is for when we're too lazy to scroll to the bottom of the thread page to write our post.

If we want to quote, use the quote button.
Old 04-04-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that's what the "end" key is for - to get to the bottom of a page. I don't use the quote button because it loads another page and I really don't need the editing tools. I do use the quick reply button often and I often forget to tick the "quote mesage in reply" box - I just think it makes sense to have it auto-ticked.
Old 04-04-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And if you don't know the button is there and you don't use it, why does it matter whether it's ticked or not?
Old 04-04-08, 09:00 AM

Holy crap! The "home" and "end" keys work on web pages. Thanks Trigger!

Oh it doesn't matter to me at all. If you click the "quick reply to this message" button it should default to quoting the message. So I agree with you that it should be auto-ticked.

Are you on dial-up? Even if the button was auto-ticked, I don't see any real speed advantage to not using the quote button. Also, don't we usually snip parts of the message we're quoting for space? The quick button doesn't give us that option.

Just giving my thoughts.....
Old 04-04-08, 09:51 AM
X
Administrator

I thought we could try it to see how it worked but it appears that option has a side effect that's worse than what it cures. I don't know that it would automatically quote the post either.

Require Click for Quick Reply
If you set this option to 'no', users will not have to click the Quick Reply icon in order to type a message in the quick reply box.

However, this will be at the expense of the usefulness of the Threaded and Hybrid view modes, as the system will not know to which post a user is replying, so the threaded view will become non-sensical.

Set this option to 'no' at your own discretion.
It's currently set to 'no'. It appears that if it were set to 'yes' we'd lose the quick reply box at the bottom of the page unless the button was clicked.
Old 04-04-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trigger
This has always annoyed me - when you hit quick reply on a specific post, it jumps you to the bottom where you can go ahead and type your response... focused on my thoughts, I often forget to tick the box that quotes what the person said. This sometimes creates confusion to the flow of the thread I think. Anyway - I would like it if that box was automatically checked. I mean, if we didn't want to reply to someone specifically and include their text in a quote, then we would simply jump to the bottom of the page and start typing.
Testing...

I knew we had the button, but i never noticed the option to quote the person.

this is more useful then waiting for another page to load...cool
Old 04-04-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by X
I thought we could try it to see how it worked but it appears that option has a side effect that's worse than what it cures. I don't know that it would automatically quote the post either.

It's currently set to 'no'. It appears that if it were set to 'yes' we'd lose the quick reply box at the bottom of the page unless the button was clicked.

either the directions are bad or the code is bad. as long as they click the button in the post, the forum should know what post refered them to the quick reply box and should be able to quote it.
Old 04-04-08, 12:58 PM
X
Administrator

Test

I turned the option on and it didn't check the box or quote the post I clicked. All it did was put this message in the quick reply box at the bottom of the screen before I clicked on a message:

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old 04-04-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X

I appreciate the effort... I don't want it to cause more trouble than it's worth.
Old 04-05-08, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Test

I turned the option on and it didn't check the box or quote the post I clicked. All it did was put this message in the quick reply box at the bottom of the screen before I clicked on a message:

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
That's how it works at xcritic. I find it annoying that I have to click a button before I can click inside the text box to begin typing.
Old 04-05-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As noted from Vbulletin, you want users to click in the proper post when doing a quick reply. This means that the posts will properly thread when viewed in hyperthreaded mode. If one is viewing all posts as linear, than it does not matter.

As far as a default condition of quoting, I would rather not because too many people just quote all the previous text. It uses up the pixels. And seriously, I have limited pixels on my blackberry.

p.s. SOMEONE needs to update the VB software from 3.0. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-08, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyC
p.s. SOMEONE needs to update the VB software from 3.0. Just my 2 cents.
That brings up a good point.

Does anyone know if Internet Brands has any plans at all to update the site? Or are they just buying up sites and gathering ad revenue?

We hardly ever hear anything from them.