Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Deleting Threads, Part 2

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Deleting Threads, Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Deleting Threads, Part 2

Yes, I realize we have discussed this before but, IMO, it is worth revisiting. Has there been any thought to allowing the OP of a thread to delete it when necessary. It dawned on me when reading this thread that, although we had some issues, it seemed way easier in the past when a thread could be deleted easily if it was a dupe or if someone posted a thread incorrectly. Is there any way to prevent a thread from being deleted only after a number of replies (say 10). Thoughts?
Old 01-18-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Just click on the "report post" and a mod will take care of it. Easy.
Old 01-19-08, 03:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts
I feel the potential for abuse is too great, we don't want threads deleted just because the OP doesn't like other's opinions.

The once in awhile that someone makes a mistake (dupe thread,etc), just report it to the mods and it's gone.
Old 01-19-08, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
I feel the potential for abuse is too great, we don't want threads deleted just because the OP doesn't like other's opinions.

The once in awhile that someone makes a mistake (dupe thread,etc), just report it to the mods and it's gone.
The old system worked fine for 8 years. I don't remember "abuse" back then. IIRC, at one point recently, a poster put up a thread, got an answer, then deleted it (because he got his answer). Suddenly people petitioned to prevent deleting threads.
Old 01-19-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matta
The old system worked fine for 8 years. I don't remember "abuse" back then. IIRC, at one point recently, a poster put up a thread, got an answer, then deleted it (because he got his answer). Suddenly people petitioned to prevent deleting threads.
Then you're remembering incorrectly. There were at least two high-profile discussion threads that the OPs just up and deleted. That was the real cause of the new policy, in my opinion.
Old 01-19-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts
I posted a duplicate thread in Hot Deals last month. Not only could I not delete the duplicate, but there is no Report a Post button in your own posts. The duplicate threads are still there.
Old 01-19-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I posted a duplicate thread in Hot Deals last month. Not only could I not delete the duplicate, but there is no Report a Post button in your own posts. The duplicate threads are still there.
And that seems to be a good, logical change. Set it up where you can report your own post. Is there a reason why it's not already that way?
Old 01-19-08, 10:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Then you're remembering incorrectly. There were at least two high-profile discussion threads that the OPs just up and deleted. That was the real cause of the new policy, in my opinion.
Exactly. There have been several cases of great threads, with lots of nice discussion and/or data, just disappearing because the OP got annoyed, or hit the wrong button.

But then, I'm a free speech freak and don't think that anything should be deleted. Closed is fine, but never deleted.
Old 01-20-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor

Except the caveat mentioned of being unable to delete after a certain number of posts would prevent this.

Or even a timed one... such as can't be deleted after X number of days or whatever.
Old 01-21-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts
Days? I'd be happy if you could delete it for 10 minutes. We have a grace period for editing posts without a "post edited" line. Something similar would be great for deleting threads.
Old 01-21-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I remember correctly, deleting threads is an all-or-nothing option. This fine gradation that everyone is talking about would be great, but it's not possible with the forum software.
Old 01-25-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts
Something like this would be a step in the right direction...

http://vbmodder.com/forums/f17/allow...thread-62.html
Old 02-02-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by General Zod
Something like this would be a step in the right direction...

http://vbmodder.com/forums/f17/allow...thread-62.html
Can we do this? Sounds like a perfect solution.
Old 02-02-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Except the threads that usually need to be deleted end up having at least one reply of someone pointing out that their thread is a duplicate.
Old 02-03-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On an IPB forum I visit they have a feature where members can delete their thread, but it really just goes invisible and sent to a queue where someone from the staff can either accept/deny the threads deletion. If the request is accepted it is permanently deleted, if it is denied that user can't attempt to delete that particular thread anymore.

vBulletin must have the same hack/modification available somewhere.