Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Question about tables and post length

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to include a table in my post. It will look very much like this (with a couple more columns):

<Table border=1 rules=cols cellspacing=1><TR VALIGN="top"><TD BGCOLOR=#C0C0C0 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial"><B>Column1</B></FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#C0C0C0 ALIGN="left" ><FONT FACE="Arial"><B>Column2</B></font></td><TD BGCOLOR=#C0C0C0 ALIGN="left" ><FONT FACE="Arial"><B>Column3</B></font></td></tr><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 269 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Bubba Ho Tep </TD><TD ALIGN="right">2002</TD></TR> <TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 239 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Dog Soldiers </TD><TD ALIGN="right">2002</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 740 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Frailty </TD><TD ALIGN="right">2001</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 713 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Rosemary's Killer (aka The Prowler)</TD><TD ALIGN="right">1981</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 285 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Judge Dredd </TD><TD ALIGN="right">1995</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 70 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles</TD><TD ALIGN="right">2005</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 411 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Ali G in da House </TD><TD ALIGN="right">2002</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 426 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Fright Night </TD><TD ALIGN="right">1985</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 864 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >From Hell </TD><TD ALIGN="right">2001</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 673 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Scream </TD><TD ALIGN="right">1996</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 409 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Spun </TD><TD ALIGN="right">2002</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 3 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Company of Wolves, The </TD><TD ALIGN="right">1984</TD></TR><TR VALIGN="top"><TD ALIGN="right" > 963 </TD><TD ALIGN="left" >Any Given Sunday </TD><TD ALIGN="right">1999</TD></TR></table>

My problem - I am trying to have a table with over 100 lines, and a total of more than 30,000 characters. When I try to post this, I get this error message:

1. Please complete both the subject and message fields. Press the back button, correct the problem and try again.
2. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.
If I try to post more than about 60 lines, I get the error message.

I took the basic format of my table tags from mcarvers price reduction thread here.

Am I running into a maximum character per post issue? Or am I doing something wrong with my tags? (I'm far from an expert in html related stuff).

Thanks.
Old 12-23-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When you're posting it, are you posting just the table or the table and some text?
Old 12-24-07, 12:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I believe there is a maximum character per post limit, and it includes all formatting type character as well.

I think we have at least one other thread on this in the past year.
Old 01-14-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After playing around with this a bit, it appears that 24,999 characters of HTML is ok, but 25,000 causes the error message. That's just if the entire post is just the HTML code.

It also appears that 25,000 characters of plain text generates the error, so I'm assuming that the problem I'm running into is a maximum post length of 24,999 characters.
Old 01-14-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Host your page somewhere else and use an iframe to show the content of that page. Check the first post in this thread for inspiration: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=487124
Old 01-14-08, 03:26 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by obscurelabel
After playing around with this a bit, it appears that 24,999 characters of HTML is ok, but 25,000 causes the error message. That's just if the entire post is just the HTML code.

It also appears that 25,000 characters of plain text generates the error, so I'm assuming that the problem I'm running into is a maximum post length of 24,999 characters.
Try it now.
Old 01-14-08, 05:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Try it now.
Are you saying that the long post error is no more?
Old 01-14-08, 05:19 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trevor
Are you saying that the long post error is no more?
I'm saying somebody needs to test it to see if it is no more.
Old 01-15-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
I'm saying somebody needs to test it to see if it is no more.
Still getting the same result. 24,999 characters of html table code is OK, but the 25,000th character results in the error:

1. Please complete both the subject and message fields. Press the back button, correct the problem and try again.
2. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.
I'm testing it out with repetions of this table, the text of which is 3228 characters ... modifying the last instance so that the total is 24,998 (OK), 24,999 (OK), and then 25,000 (fail) characters:

<table><tr><td>gfoots</td><td>chris_sc77</td><td>Behind the Mask</td></tr><tr><td>chris_sc77</td><td>Frenzy</td><td>Merry Christmas</td></tr><tr><td>Frenzy</td><td>Mondo Kane</td><td>Deal of the Century</td></tr><tr><td>Mondo Kane</td><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Salon Kitty</td></tr><tr><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>obscurelabel</td><td>Der Tod im roten Jaguar</td></tr><tr><td>obscurelabel</td><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Force of Evil</td></tr><tr><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Abe.</td><td>Running Scared</td></tr><tr><td>Abe.</td><td>riotinmyskull</td><td>Two Lane Blacktop</td></tr><tr><td>GoldenJCJ</td><td>Mondo Kane</td><td>Django</td></tr><tr><td>Mondo Kane</td><td>Matthew Chmiel</td><td>She Hate Me</td></tr><tr><td>Matthew Chmiel</td><td>Rockmjd23</td><td>Strange Circus</td></tr><tr><td>obscurelabel</td><td>Mondo Kane</td><td>Eyes Without a Face</td></tr><tr><td>Mondo Kane</td><td>riotinmyskull</td><td>El Topo</td></tr><tr><td>Abe.</td><td>GoldenJCJ</td><td>The Shawshank Redemption</td></tr><tr><td>GoldenJCJ</td><td>chris_sc77</td><td>The Peacemaker</td></tr><tr><td>chris_sc77</td><td>SterlingBen</td><td>A Life Less Ordinary</td></tr><tr><td>SterlingBen</td><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Not of This Earth</td></tr><tr><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Frenzy</td><td>Aces Go Places</td></tr><tr><td>Frenzy</td><td>riotinmyskull</td><td>Scarlet Diva</td></tr><tr><td>SterlingBen</td><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Prophecy</td></tr><tr><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>gfoots</td><td>Blast of Silence</td></tr><tr><td>gfoots</td><td>obscurelabel</td><td>The Devil Thumbs a Ride</td></tr><tr><td>gfoots</td><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra</td></tr><tr><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Matthew Chmiel</td><td>Elektra</td></tr><tr><td>chris_sc77</td><td>rkndkn</td><td>Heaven & Earth</td></tr><tr><td>riotinmyskull</td><td>obscurelabel</td><td>Junebug</td></tr><tr><td>obscurelabel</td><td>Kudama</td><td>See No Evil</td></tr><tr><td>Kudama</td><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Dear Wendy</td></tr><tr><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Rockmjd23</td><td>Slim Susie</td></tr><tr><td>Rockmjd23</td><td>Frenzy</td><td>Station Agent, The</td></tr><tr><td>Frenzy</td><td>BenboC</td><td>Boogie Nights</td></tr><tr><td>BenboC</td><td>William Fuld</td><td>Space is the Place</td></tr><tr><td>Brack</td><td>riotinmyskull</td><td>Spiderman 3</td></tr><tr><td>obscurelabel</td><td>William Fuld</td><td>X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes</td></tr><tr><td>SterlingBen</td><td>Norm de Plume</td><td>Cannonball Run II</td></tr><tr><td>obscurelabel</td><td>GrimTangent</td><td>Touch of Evil</td></tr><tr><td>riotinmyskull</td><td>FinkPish</td><td>Maximum Overdrive</td></tr><tr><td>chris_sc77</td><td>SterlingBen</td><td>Lost in Space</td></tr><tr><td>SterlingBen</td><td>Rockmjd23</td><td>Emanuelle Escapes From Hell aka Women's Prison Massacre</td></tr><tr><td>Mondo Kane</td><td>Brack</td><td>Eight Legged Freaks</td></tr><tr><td>Brack</td><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>Domino</td></tr><tr><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>chris_sc77</td><td>Britannia Hospital</td></tr><tr><td>chris_sc77</td><td>FinkPish</td><td>Gigli</td></tr><tr><td>FinkPish</td><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>The Guns of Navarone</td></tr><tr><td>Luther Heggs</td><td>riotinmyskull</td><td>Lost Highway</td></tr></table>
Old 01-15-08, 10:33 AM
X
Administrator

Ok, so the parameter I tweaked didn't fix it.

This does appear to be some kind of bug as the server option is set to not enforce any particular post length.
Old 01-15-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by X
Ok, so the parameter I tweaked didn't fix it.

This does appear to be some kind of bug as the server option is set to not enforce any particular post length.
Now that I know what the de facto limit is, I will try to work around it either with multiple posts, or I may try pinata242's suggestion.

Thanks