Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Links to reviews at other sites: what's the rule?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

What's the ruling on having links to reviews at other sites in threads?

Seems like anytime I've done it (link to a review I've written, posted as a part of a response in an existing thread) it gets removed right away. And I typically have added a few comments about the movie in question, and then post a link to my full review in case anyone gives a crap to read more.

I found this one today - see post #6:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....62#post8025162

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-24-07 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
This is covered in the FAQ. I'll clean that up in a moment.
Old 07-24-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Remember that the forum FAQ says if you link to a review with a site you're affiliated with, post more than just a link.
I've followed those rules before, and have had my link mod-removed in my posts. Like I was spamming. Yet in this particular case (the Benson thread) the link remains with just a warning.

And when I've done it I'm really not trying to whore out the site I write for - I'm just posting a link to a review of a movie that is being currently discussed. Sure, the site has ads (find one that doesn't), but it doesn't sell anything directly.

I like to consider myself a casually active member of this forum - and I enjoy it greatly. I don't want to be looked at as some random lurker popping in to try and boost traffic at an external site.

Nor do I want to see others not have to follow the same rules I'm expected to. I can respect forum rules, but they need to be consistent for all.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-24-07 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I removed the link...but also added a quote (per FAQ rules), since someone reposted the link. Honestly, I only posted the link because the OP was looking for reviews, NOT because I'm spamming for our site...which has a great relationship with DVD Talk anyway, so there's no need for me to do so...

I apologize if anyone got their feathers ruffled over this...

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 07-24-07 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I removed the link...but also added a quote (per FAQ rules), since someone reposted the link. Honestly, I only posted the link because the OP was looking for reviews, NOT because I'm spamming for our site...which has a great relationship with DVD Talk anyway, so there's no need for me to do so...
Don't take it personally, please. I didn't mean to bust your particular balls. You were just an example.

I would like to see links to other reviews at other sites in a thread, providing they are provided as part of an existing discussion about a movie (as opposed to a new thread that just says "click here to read a review of...."). My links always get blanked out, and when yours went unscathed I had to say something.

I think most DVDTalkers can smell a spam post pretty easily anyhow, and clearly neither of us fall into the spammer category.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-24-07 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Don't take it personally, please. I didn't mean to bust your particular balls. You were just an example.

I would like to see links to other reviews at other sites in a thread, providing they are provided as part of an existing discussion about a movie (as opposed to a new thread that just says "click here to read a review of...."). My links always get blanked out, and when yours went unscathed I had to say something.

I think most DVDTalkers can smell a spam post pretty easily anyhow, and clearly neither of us fall into the spammer category.
No, I didn't take it personally...but I felt the need to post an apology in both threads, since my negligence of forum rules was unintentional. I agree with you about links to other sites in general, but understand the current rules pertaining to them, since otherwise it would open a huge can of worms that the moderators here probably don't have the time to deal with on a daily basis.