Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Deleting threads...

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Deleting threads...

Old 04-17-06, 03:36 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seriously, I'm really disappointed the 'judge my taste in men' thread has been deleted. Despite some off-topic bickering back and forth, me and digi were having a legitimate discussion, that although may have been better suited somewhere else, was imo something important for both of us since there has been some history of hostility between us. We definitely weren't going that route this time.
Old 04-17-06, 04:17 PM
  #52  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,699
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you get a scratched DVD or poorly packaged one, nothing on DVD Talk should really piss you off. If a thread goes poof, it's still just a thread on the internet. You can always start a new one to proclaim your hatred for Spike's hair color or Willow's quivering lip.

I'm fine with the current system, except for the updated thread title not showing up in forum view. I asked about that, but it was pretty much ignored. Unless it's going to generate ad revenue for the site, I wouldn't think it's worth changing anything.
Old 04-17-06, 05:53 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: At the beach
Posts: 6,090
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Seriously, I'm really disappointed the 'judge my taste in men' thread has been deleted. Despite some off-topic bickering back and forth, me and digi were having a legitimate discussion, that although may have been better suited somewhere else, was imo something important for both of us since there has been some history of hostility between us. We definitely weren't going that route this time.
I was wondering where that thread went. Stupid to be deleted.
Old 04-17-06, 06:40 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Believe it or not, I was just writing up a "serious" comment to Liquid when the thread went poof. Something along the lines of how my original post had been sardonic, and how he would have been better served by focusing on more pressing issues...

But now it's gone. So I end up just looking like a jackass.
Old 04-17-06, 07:44 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,888
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NCMojo

But now it's gone. So I end up just looking like a jackass.

I'm having an Alanis Morrisette moment.
Old 04-18-06, 10:06 AM
  #56  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,983
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if people wnat to carry on discussion, they can create a new thread.

based on the number of reported posts that thread generated, i'm glad it was deleted (atleast coming from a mod pov)
Old 04-18-06, 04:23 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 23,467
Received 295 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Seriously, I'm really disappointed the 'judge my taste in men' thread has been deleted. Despite some off-topic bickering back and forth, me and digi were having a legitimate discussion, that although may have been better suited somewhere else, was imo something important for both of us since there has been some history of hostility between us. We definitely weren't going that route this time.
Isn't it this guy who deleted it?
Originally Posted by BigPete
I am strongly in favor of the current rules.
or am I remembering wrong?
Old 04-18-06, 05:10 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure, I don't remember who started the thread.
Old 04-18-06, 06:59 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 27,831
Received 885 Likes on 580 Posts
I'm happy with the current policy. Occasionally a thread that I was enjoying gets deleted, but it's not often. However, I've deleted more than one newly-created thread because someone else beat me to it by a minute or two, or because I'd screwed up the title or something. I don't want to have to call a mod every time I goof.
Old 04-18-06, 07:07 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,823
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I'm happy with the current policy. Occasionally a thread that I was enjoying gets deleted, but it's not often. However, I've deleted more than one newly-created thread because someone else beat me to it by a minute or two, or because I'd screwed up the title or something. I don't want to have to call a mod every time I goof.
Limiting the ability to delete threads to the first 24 hours would still allow for that.
Old 05-22-07, 08:24 PM
  #61  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For some reason, the WWE Releases Thread on the DVD Talk forum has been deleted twice already. The first time was the original poster, according to what a mod said. Now we don't know who did it but i suspect it was the same person. My questions:

1- Why are all members granted priviledge to delete threads? There was some good discussion of what were the best places to get some wrestling DVDs and all of it gets deleted because the OP has some beef or something.

2- Is there any way to stop these?
Old 05-22-07, 08:33 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,335
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should just start a new thread. Then he won't be able to be a baby and delete it. Or perhaps the mods can resurrect it and delete the OP's first post.
Old 05-22-07, 08:37 PM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 487
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
For some reason, the WWE Releases Thread on the DVD Talk forum has been deleted twice already. The first time was the original poster, according to what a mod said. Now we don't know who did it but i suspect it was the same person. My questions:

1- Why are all members granted priviledge to delete threads? There was some good discussion of what were the best places to get some wrestling DVDs and all of it gets deleted because the OP has some beef or something.

2- Is there any way to stop these?
I asked you all to keep that thread on topic, you failed.

Talk about e-bay auctions, talk about DVD's that were released a year ago, talk about buying old video tapes for a dollar a piece and selling them on ebay for close to $500.

This was a thread for "Upcoming WWE DVD Releases" and I am wading thru ten pages of WCW video tapes, Ebay auctions, TNA DVD's.

I dleeted the thread because it was so far off topic and no one would keep it on topic. If you want s general disscussion thread, make one, no one is stopping you.

It was my thread, I should have the right to delete it. I should have done it right when the ebay auction crap started, that was my mistake.

Last edited by Erik68; 05-22-07 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 08:59 PM
  #64  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kitkat
Limiting the ability to delete threads to the first 24 hours would still allow for that.
That seems a reasonable compromise to me.
Old 05-22-07, 09:01 PM
  #65  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Erik68
I asked you all to keep that thread on topic, you failed.

Talk about e-bay auctions, talk about DVD's that were released a year ago, talk about buying old video tapes for a dollar a piece and selling them on ebay for close to $500.

This was a thread for "Upcoming WWE DVD Releases" and I am wading thru ten pages of WCW video tapes, Ebay auctions, TNA DVD's.

I dleeted the thread because it was so far off topic and no one would keep it on topic. If you want s general disscussion thread, make one, no one is stopping you.

It was my thread, I should have the right to delete it. I should have done it right when the ebay auction crap started, that was my mistake.
I completely understand the ebay discussion getting on your nerves, but the other discussion comes with the territory. Since it was the only wrestling related DVD thread, people felt the necessity to clarify some questions and discuss past releases. Still, i think you are wrong in deleting the thread since it became an active part of the forum even though you started it, but I'll follow your suggestion and start a new thread myself. If you had any problem with the topics being discussed, you should have contacted a moderator instead of taking the ball and running away with it like a little boy.

Last edited by dx23; 05-22-07 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-22-07, 09:01 PM
  #66  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 11,974
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh H
That seems a reasonable compromise to me.
Ditto.
Old 05-22-07, 09:25 PM
  #67  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik68
I asked you all to keep that thread on topic, you failed.

Talk about e-bay auctions, talk about DVD's that were released a year ago, talk about buying old video tapes for a dollar a piece and selling them on ebay for close to $500.

This was a thread for "Upcoming WWE DVD Releases" and I am wading thru ten pages of WCW video tapes, Ebay auctions, TNA DVD's.

I dleeted the thread because it was so far off topic and no one would keep it on topic. If you want s general disscussion thread, make one, no one is stopping you.

It was my thread, I should have the right to delete it. I should have done it right when the ebay auction crap started, that was my mistake.
It's ashame you felt that way, that thread was a great thread with some great conversation. While the ebay thing may be illegal to the board(and that is fine), threads can sometimes go off topic. It was good discussion, I'm really disappointed in your choice.
Old 06-07-07, 09:46 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Just north of Atlanta
Posts: 5,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many people don't even know a thread is deleted until they actively look for it. I'd like to see the thread title stay in the list of threads on the main page, possible with a DELETED indicator similar to the lock on locked threads. If the software allows it they could even restrict access so no one could view the contents of the thread, but at least people would know that the thread has been deleted and can request it be restored. It would also allow people to see repeat offenders and decide whether or not they want to post in their threads in the future. Eventually the thread would fall of the main page if no one cared about it.
Old 06-07-07, 11:36 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 19,924
Received 286 Likes on 175 Posts
Given the example by Erik68, how about this as a possible idea (and if this was already mentioned, oops) - After 24 hours the originator cannot delete the thread if there are replies. But, after 24 hours, the originator can lock or close the thread. This way, people can still see and reference the contents if they desire, and even start a new thread if they want. This gives the originator a degree of control without pissing off everyone else. Obviously, this should be used with discretion.
Old 06-07-07, 12:36 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mordred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,215
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Locking a thread by the OP seems like a good compromise to me too. It serves the exact same purpose as deleting the thread, except that the information doesn't get lost.
Old 06-07-07, 01:02 PM
  #71  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. I doubt the forum software allows for normal users to have lock functions. But, if not they could set it so they can't delete after 24 hours, and can contact a mod to lock if after that point.

More work for mods, but it shouldn't be too much as it seems like these long thread deletions just happen a handful of times a year.
Old 06-07-07, 05:39 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster
Given the example by Erik68, how about this as a possible idea (and if this was already mentioned, oops) - After 24 hours the originator cannot delete the thread if there are replies. But, after 24 hours, the originator can lock or close the thread. This way, people can still see and reference the contents if they desire, and even start a new thread if they want. This gives the originator a degree of control without pissing off everyone else. Obviously, this should be used with discretion.
Old 06-07-07, 10:38 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 1,823
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good compromise.
Old 06-11-07, 11:14 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 23,467
Received 295 Likes on 213 Posts
Thread starters have always had the "right" to ask a mod to lock their threads. I think this is still a solution, but the "management" has never been very receptive to the notion that deleting threads is something that shouldn't be allowed.
Old 06-11-07, 04:49 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Thread starters have always had the "right" to ask a mod to lock their threads. I think this is still a solution, but the "management" has never been very receptive to the notion that deleting threads is something that shouldn't be allowed.
You are the OP, right?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.