Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why does the search function at DVDtalk suck so heavily?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to be a negative guy or anything, and trust me, there is a ton of stuff about DVDtalk that i love, hell, i've been an active member of this site since last century, but does anybody else feel like the search function just blows on this site?

I can almost never find the title i'm looking for and heaven forbid the movie title be so obscure as to be constructed from words under four letters like "Ben Hur."

Plus, anytime i want to find a title that has a common word in it, like say for example "the wire," i have to sift through hundreds of irrelevant posts about "bird on a wire" and "wire in blood" and "wire buried deep in my ass."

I wish there was a way to make the search engine more efficient, useful and concise.

Just venting. That's what forums are for i guess.
Old 03-07-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree.

Yesterday I was searching for a thread I knew was there. Never could find it through search. I was searching on a simple word in the title.

The way I ended up finding it was looking at my account info page and looking at the threads that I had posted to.
Old 03-07-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I wish the search function didn't suck so badly, or else you could've found this entire subforum where a thread like this should be posted.

-JP
Old 03-07-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
try and look up a review for "The Cat in the Hat".....

Old 03-07-06, 04:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
We've already had a thread on this topic. Next time SEARCH ya n00b.
Old 03-07-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

adding an actors name into the search, or something else you know would be in a thread youre looking for helps.

such as doing a search for the movie "saw", adding elwes to the search helps because everyone mentions his crappy acting in it. though still not perfect, it will help you a little more.
Old 03-07-06, 04:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I just did a search on "saw" and "elwes" and it brought me back here!!!
Old 03-07-06, 04:31 PM

The trick is to start using unique words that don't exist in threads you think that you might revisit in the future. I makes the search process more otterrangular.
Old 03-07-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Geoff made a post back in Jan with this..

There's a bug in the search architecture that we can not fix. Basically it is looking in the POST only, not the thread title. So to work around. Do an advanced search and select "Search Titles" and you'll probably be able to find what you are looking for.
Old 03-07-06, 05:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by pilot
Quote:
There's a bug in the search architecture that we can not fix. Basically it is looking in the POST only, not the thread title. So to work around. Do an advanced search and select "Search Titles" and you'll probably be able to find what you are looking for.

i always click on "search in titles only" and have had tremendous success.
Old 03-07-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a "search in titties only" option? My, how Adult Talk has grown.
Old 03-08-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
I don't buy that explanation, the search doesn't search the POST correctly either. That's the problem with using software which isn't open-source, so it can't be fixed. vBulliten is now version 3.0.8 and has been around for 7 years and search still doesn't work!? I love this sites contents, but having a crappy search function is just stupid.

Want an example it doesn't work? okay here's one.

Go to the DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts forum and do a search on "network". You won't get any matches. But there's two posts right in the " The official "Does this movie come with an insert" thread - Part Duex" thread on page 22.

Why the hell doesn't that work? Explain me that one
Old 03-08-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by basaro
I don't buy that explanation, the search doesn't search the POST correctly either. That's the problem with using software which isn't open-source, so it can't be fixed. vBulliten is now version 3.0.8 and has been around for 7 years and search still doesn't work!? I love this sites contents, but having a crappy search function is just stupid.

Want an example it doesn't work? okay here's one.

Go to the DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts forum and do a search on "network". You won't get any matches. But there's two posts right in the " The official "Does this movie come with an insert" thread - Part Duex" thread on page 22.

I don't know .. I only reposted what Geoff posted.. I'm pretty sure he has looked into it..We're obviously not going to switch forums because search isn't perfect....so I guess everybody has to live with it the way it is...I don't really know what else to say ..
Old 03-08-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by basaro

Yeah, that's odd. Doesn't work for other words like "bunch" either. It does come up if you search only in that thread, though.
Old 03-08-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does this site use MySQL?
Old 03-09-06, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
Does this site use MySQL?
It uses PHP and MySQL, and vBulletin for the forum software.
Old 03-13-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The more focused the result you're looking for, the more focused your search needs to be.

For example: if you're looking for a particular Gilmore Girls episode thread, try "Gilmore Girls" and "search titles only" rather than typing gilmore girls in the default search box.

I agree that the search feature here needs work, but you have to put some thought into your searches as well.
Old 03-13-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
It uses PHP and MySQL, and vBulletin for the forum software.
Yeah. I wonder if the software builds it own index somehow or if it relies on the field types and indexing in MySQL...