Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Rosa Parks

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Belittling her legacy was very inflammatory. It was the only thread we were allowed for her passing, since 2 threads were merged. She was a very important woman, one who was (almost, apparently) universally admired. Would someone belittling the legacy of, say, Mother Theresa in the thread where people were expressing their condolences not be inflammatory? I can't fathom how you can acknowledge that the post was belittling her legacy yet not see that as inflammatory.
I don't know about Mother Theresa, what about Pope John Paul II?

I see a difference between a "Look, the pope wasn't all that" post and a "Good! The old bastard is finally dead!" post. The latter apparently is inflammatory while the former isn't though a few may take offense.

The other thing is that the thread was already in the politics forum. It isn't fair to expect everyone to restrain from making political comments that may belittle her legacy and then gang up on a sole poster who did voice a political criticism. So your problem shouldn't be with that poster but with the moderator(s) who moved it there though IMO, it isn't a big deal.

Anyway, I'm tired here, you can have the closing post.
Old 11-01-05, 04:51 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only comment would be that memorial comments full of posts of nothing but, "Rest in Peace" and similar posts are pretty pointless.

I mean it's a discussion board and that merits no discussion. So I think it's kind of silly to expect nothing but those kind of posts and other positive posts.

But I guess it could have been left in Other where most posts have no meaningful discussion. (couldn't resist, been way too long since I bashed Other.)
Old 11-01-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
My only comment would be that memorial comments full of posts of nothing but, "Rest in Peace" and similar posts are pretty pointless.

I mean it's a discussion board and that merits no discussion. So I think it's kind of silly to expect nothing but those kind of posts and other positive posts.

I agree, but where was the discussion then? If one thinks LBJ did more or Rosa Parks contribution is exaggerated, then they should post why. I didn't see the reasoning behind those and that's why I think people got upset. It was just a hit and run statement that was not explained. One should be able to post what they think, but they need to provide an (any) explanation. Just my 2 cents....
Old 11-01-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 579 Likes on 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Anyway, I'm tired here, you can have the closing post.
Woohoo!

Originally Posted by Ranger
The other thing is that the thread was already in the politics forum. It isn't fair to expect everyone to restrain from making political comments that may belittle her legacy and then gang up on a sole poster who did voice a political criticism. So your problem shouldn't be with that poster but with the moderator(s) who moved it there though IMO, it isn't a big deal.
See my first post.
Old 12-21-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I was reading Playboy over this past weekend (yes, I like the articles too ), and there was a blurb about how there were 2 young black women who defied bus segregation in Montgomery prior to Rosa. However, the NAACP did not want to use them as plaintiffs because, how shall we say this, they weren't model citizens. While I usually bow to Mr. Hefner and the magazine he has created, I just had to ask whether this is this actually true.
Old 12-21-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
WTF? This thread is now in Feedback?
Old 12-21-05, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because this was the thread that was created complaining about the original Parks thread and the fact it was moved from one forum to another.