Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Looking for New Forum

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Looking for New Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 04:00 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for New Forum

Does anyone know of a good forum where you are allowed to post referrals? Why doesn't DVD allow it?

Last edited by Frugalfart; 02-27-05 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

we don't allow referrals because we don't want to. please read our rules if you have anymore questions about stuff we may or may not allow.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/legal.html
Old 02-27-05, 07:26 PM
Cool New Member

I went to the page you suggested and did a search for the word "referrals" and I was not able to locate anything. I then proceeded to read the page and again I did not see anything.

I don't mean to be difficult about this but if it is not located within your rules page, how do we know what we can and can't do? It doesn't sound very professional to say "because we don't want to". I would think a reasonable reply might sound something like "we have discovered there to be legal ramifications" or "becasue we feel it takes away from what the forum should be used for". Also, when you reply using a more professional approach, it gives the forum user a feeling that he / she was truely given a resonable reply which he / she can respect.
Old 02-27-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Frugalfart
I went to the page you suggested and did a search for the word "referrals" and I was not able to locate anything. I then proceeded to read the page and again I did not see anything.
Read closer. Saw it within 15 seconds of opening the page.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use the DVD Talk Forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you. You agree not to post any advertising, URL's with affiliate id's or tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company. You agree not to use the addresses of any member on the forum for any other purpose than 1-1 personal communication. Any mailing in bulk to the forum Members (outside of official DVD Talk communication) or any unsolicited e-mail to members will result in immediate suspension of your membership. You agree not to use more than one registered forum account and not to represent yourself as another person, company or entity.
Old 02-27-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Posting of any form of advertising including: URL's with affiliate codes, referrer tags, tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company"
Old 02-27-05, 07:39 PM
Cool New Member

OK, if that's the meaning you implied I can accept that. I didn't read it like that because I didn't advertise, URL's with affiliate id's or tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company.

In a sense, anyone who post a freebe or good deal that is offered by a company is in effect, advertising. Am I wrong?
Old 02-27-05, 07:45 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
In a sense, anyone who post a freebe or good deal that is offered by a company is in effect, advertising. Am I wrong?
You are wrong.

If you have no financial interest in a company posting a deal of theirs primarily benefits other people. Posting referrals is primarily for your benefit.

I think if you don't recognize the difference you are trying to be difficult.
Old 02-27-05, 07:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, if that's the meaning you implied I can accept that. I didn't read it like that because I didn't advertise, URL's with affiliate id's or tracking numbers or anything which actively promotes a site or company.

Yes, you're wrong. Sharing a freebie/deal you found with the intention of helping out other forum members is different than promoting yourself and being self-serving.

Edit: Son of a gun, first I get beat about the rules, so I delete that post and post why it's okay to share freebies and good deals. I quit.

Last edited by Static Cling; 02-27-05 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 07:48 PM
X
Administrator

Must be the latency.
Old 02-27-05, 07:52 PM
Cool New Member

I hate being wrong!! We have any lawyers out there??
Old 02-27-05, 07:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I'm back. In your first post, you asked about finding a "good forum" where people can post referrals. I think one of the reasons DVD Talk is such a good forum is because the mods are quick on the draw about self-promoters. Who wants to read forums where people advertise about their free iPod offers, eBay auctions, and penis-enlarging pills?

Okay, I take that back. Anyone know of any good penis-enlarging pills out there? I've tried these and they helped me out: www.wowthatsabigpenis.com/refer=uid?staticcling
Old 02-27-05, 08:39 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Static Cling
I've tried these and they helped me out: www.wowthatsabigpenis.com/refer=uid?staticcling

Dammit Static! Popup hell!
Old 02-27-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

static shall be banned!
Old 02-28-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a lawyer.

You're wrong.
Old 02-28-05, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i do think this policy should be re-thought.

a subforum where, certain kinds, of refferals links can be posted would be decent. not only refferals but posts to ebay auctions and such. of course their should be strict rules in saying what kind of links can be posted and such. however, for it to be feasible there needs to be a restriction as far as who can access or post in this forum. i would think senior member would fit the bill. if you post 250, you have to know what is acceptable and what will get you banned.

i just don't see the harm in trying it out and seeing how it goes. if it goes straight to hell then remove the forum and then explain that experiment that went wrong as to why such things aren't allowed and be done with this issue.

perhaps i just have too much faith but i think an area where longtime members could post selfserving links wouldn't be misused and would be benifical as well.

just a thought.
Old 02-28-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it would be too much trouble to weed through who can or couldn't post in a referral forum, people would sign up just to spam their stuff, and end up spamming the other parts of the forum ..not worth the trouble
Old 02-28-05, 08:57 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I think this one is pretty clear.

We at DVD Talk reserve the right to revoke your membership to the DVD Talk forum or disable your posting ability for any or no reason whatsoever.
Old 02-28-05, 11:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dah-Dee
I'm a lawyer.

You're wrong.
I am a lawyer, and I agree with Dah Dee.

-notrolls-
Old 03-01-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would hate there to be a subforum that allows that sort of crap. I can't imagine how many spam threads would spawn in it.