Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Is Anyone Else SICK of the Freddy vs. Jason Pop-Ups?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Is Anyone Else SICK of the Freddy vs. Jason Pop-Ups?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by goLUCKY
I just wish that *it* (corrected) didn't have sound.
Old 01-14-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gkleinman
FVJ pop up ends this evening. I've had a long discussion with the agency who placed those ads about the issues and feedback
I'm very interested to know what the ad agency's response was to you. Did they even care?
Old 01-14-04, 06:43 PM
Registered

They are actually quite sympathetic. The problem is, studios get it into their heads that certain types of advertising work. They dictate to the agencies to buy certain ads:

Pop-up Polls
DHTML overlays
Ads with sound
Video Ads

I'm working with one of the agencies we work with to help encourage some of the studios to try out other forms of interactive ads.

But in the end, we've got to pay the bills, so I'll keep fighting the good fight when it comes to not having a proliferation of invasive ads and work on getting up the paid membership online as soon as it's possiable to do!
Old 01-14-04, 06:48 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Mopower
Well I only get the ad once a day. After I click close it never comes back until the next day when I go to DVD talk the first time. So I really don't know what to say about why people are getting it all the time. Once a day doesn't bother me.
It might be an issue of HOW you browse the site-- I open a seperate window for each thread instead of opening one thread then backtracking in the same Explorer instance. I have the ad pop up multiple times in one session.
Old 01-14-04, 06:58 PM

I hate to do anything that helps advertisers make more money, but the use of sound in online advertising has the reverse affect of their intention. I have deleted other sites from my bookmark list due to this very ad and if I thought DVDTalk had a rival, I'd have done the same with this one.

Bill Hicks said it best: "If you're in marketing or advertising, kill yourself. I'm not kidding. This isn't a joke."
Old 01-14-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Indeed. I wouldn't have a problem at all if there wasn't sound. Dunno bout you guys, but if I'm quietly browsing pages on the 'net, the intense sound of sharp objects moving all about against each other isn't exactly what the doctor ordered.
Old 01-15-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thank the Maker! I'm glad you got rid of it. I hate that ad, too. I just hit my browser then go to grab a glass of water and BLAMMO!!! Every time that POS movie comes up and is loud as hell. Isn't nearly as scary as it is annoying.
Old 01-17-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So no comment on the Babylon 5 popup, Geoff?
Old 01-17-04, 12:54 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally posted by ScottyWH
So no comment on the Babylon 5 popup, Geoff?
Gee, I feel cheated. I'm not seeing the B5 ad (although I get it all the time at other websites, like the internet movie database). At least the Jason ad is gone. Yay!
Old 01-18-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After some thought, it seems to me that the babylon 5 ad may not be intentional here, but rather something that is caused by the media clicks or whatever that one of the popunders is through... not sure ...
Old 01-19-04, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UGH.. I thought it was gone, but it's back... along with a new "MI" popup.. whatever MI is... very annoying...
Old 01-19-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is how obtuse I am. I never have my speakers on when I'm on the internet but today was listening to a cd on the computer instead of the stereo. I jumped a foot when I heard "welcome to my nightmare" and immediately thought I got a virus or something.