Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

I'm SUSPENDED?!?!?

Old 12-11-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm SUSPENDERED?!?!?

Okay, not really. Well, not yet. I'm just curious. A buddy of mine suffered this punishment recently. Being the curious type, and wanting to learn lessons from others, I was wondering: Wouldn't it be nice to know why people get suspended?

Is it possible to see links to actual threads where people have incurred the wrath of our all-seeing mods? Why not put under people's user names "Suspended for THIS ". (Hyperlinked to offensive thread) That way, we can all learn from the mistakes of others.

Maybe this is stupid. Please tell me if you think so...but many times I see posters I adore in this temporary status, and I think to myself, "Today them, tomorrow me." Possibly for the same reason. Would this idea be plausible? Is this degrading? Maybe. But it would give cause to be on your best behavior.

Tell me your thoughts.

Love,

Me.

Last edited by DarkestPhoenix; 12-12-03 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-11-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually like that idea.
Old 12-11-03, 11:07 PM

If you follow the rules, you have nothing to worry about.

DO YOU FOLLOW THE RULES?! I should suspend you for putting this in the wrong forum.

j/k

But I will move it to the right place.
Old 12-11-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Follow forum roles as you signed on to your user agreement and you'll probably be fine. That said, sometimes I've seen some mods be cowboys, but there's nothing you can do about that. Just be yourself and try not to worry about it.
Old 12-11-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First, suspensions are probably rarely isolated to one thing, but are more likely a culmination of numerous events, many of which may have happened over e-Mail. It's also not particularly fair to the suspended member to showcase his actions while he's away.

What possible reason do we need to know why someone was suspended other than to argue about whether it's justified or not? The rules around here are pretty clear. If someone has been suspended, he's broken one or many of those rules. I don't buy the need to "learn from the mistakes of others." Don't break the rules, and don't go psycho when you're admonished for it ... what more do you need to learn?

das
Old 12-11-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the idea. It would save me time searching their recent posts trying to figure it out.

Oh admit it ... I must not be the only one who does that!
Old 12-11-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nazz
I like the idea. It would save me time searching their recent posts trying to figure it out.

I do that all the time, and it begs another question: Do the suspension-causing posts typically get deleted? Because I can tell you on several occasions, I've traced through a user's posts for days or perhaps weeks prior to their suspensions and can't for the life of me see anything worthy of a suspension. It's like they've become an unperson.

Damn curiosity.
Old 12-11-03, 11:58 PM
Banned

Now now, is his post *really* so bad that DarkestPhoenix had to be Suspendered?
Old 12-12-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nazz

I do it all the time as well. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to Danol...That guy cracked me up.
Old 12-12-03, 01:30 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

aren't these questions be asked for direct email to mods?
Old 12-12-03, 04:52 AM
Uber Member

I've personally always been in the "give an explanation" camp on this argument, but then I used to spend too much time being a mod too.

The problems with doing this are manifold, though.

First, it can lead to other members making fun of or otherwise bringing attention to the actions of the suspended member. That's not only unfair in the sense that the person in question can't defend themselves, but also because it can encourage the suspended person to reregister in order to "fight back." Both of these mean more work for the mods/admins.

Another reason I commonly hear cited (and the one I most strongly agree with) is that making the reason for warnings/suspensions/bans known helps the other members know where the lines are on the forum. As good as this sounds, it's not an unreasonable position to believe that the forum rules are largely pretty self explanatory. Outside of protecting the commercial interests of this site (ie. no posting personal referral links), the basic idea is that you act like a reasonable person talking amongst a mixed group of people. The finer points that would be illustrated by mod/admin explanations would be nice, but they're often very situation specific, and thus, less useful to the general membership.

Another problem that doing this brings up is the armchair lawyers. A lot of what the mods/admins have to do here is make judgement calls. Not everything can be traced back to a hard and fast rule as they are trying to maintain a certain level community/civility on the boards among a variety of subject matter and personalities. Effectively moderating this type of situation requires a certain flexiblitiy in interpretation that, while justifiable, can take quite a bit of time to explain. Especially to someone who wants to argue every little point with you.

So, to sum up, it's been the experience of many mods here that doing this not only potentially creates more member problems, but also takes a lot more of their moderating time to properly do. Ultimately, the cost/benefit analysis doesn't work out on this idea.

At least, that's my take on it.
Old 12-12-03, 04:54 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by jrobinson
aren't these questions be asked for direct email to mods?
Actually, no.

Email is for when you want to know why a mod/admin did a specific thing.

If you're asking about a forum-wide practice, this is the place to bring it up.
Old 12-12-03, 07:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Numanoid
I do that all the time, and it begs another question: Do the suspension-causing posts typically get deleted? Because I can tell you on several occasions, I've traced through a user's posts for days or perhaps weeks prior to their suspensions and can't for the life of me see anything worthy of a suspension. It's like they've become an unperson.

Damn curiosity.
Not every suspension/ban comes as a result of an inappropriate post. Sometimes posters are returning banned members, sometimes they're sending inappropriate e-mails (or making inappropriate phone calls) to other members and harrassing them... it just depends on the situation.

But yes, we do get rid of some of the posts to try and salvage some threads sometimes. I've found that sometimes, if you leave inflammatory posts up, even if you tell everyone to get back on topic while you try and sort out what sort of action should be taken, people can't resist getting in a jab back against the poster. It results in more work for us and possibly more administrative action, neither of which are things we want to be doing , so we trim the fat.
Old 12-12-03, 10:02 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Bushdog
That said, sometimes I've seen some mods be cowboys
Like you've never been a cowboy...

Old 12-12-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> Quoth Blade <HR SIZE=1>So, to sum up, I just said the same thing das said, but with more words.<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fixed.

das
Old 12-12-03, 04:21 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Suspendered?

Is that like a wedgie with elastic straps?
Old 12-12-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Like you've never been a cowboy...

Old 12-12-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nah. If people know why, they like to take sides.
Old 12-13-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What did happen to Danol?
Old 12-13-03, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

He is alive and posting up a storm (his 4th username as far as I can tell) over at AVS forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...99#post3048899

Just don't let them padlock all the dumpsters, there goes the free cases if you do.
Your a cool guy Gus maybe you should have said Baking Soda is prohibited on the premises of *all* the block busters, since you know about the pipe you know about what Baking Soda does when heated, how it affects 'that' which gives off a crackling sound in the glasspipe used with a stainless steel filter, the only way to fly and screw up cases for innocent renters.

P.S. From the Celler to the 167th floor from just one *exhale* out of your *nose* only. Man what a rush up dem floors to the everloving roof of the Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds builiding. Alice B. Toklas serves her 'told' Haslich Fudge, and her *own* recipe for Laced Brownies in the main lobby!COOL
Some great replies. My favorite-
Gabby Johnson is right!!
But stay tight my peeps! You never know who is visiting next! You have to love the internet.
Old 12-14-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I'm SUSPENDERED?!?!?

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
posters I adore
i really need to know
Old 12-14-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
What did happen to Danol?
His profile at AVS says he's "an anamorphic lover".

Too Much Information if you ask me. I miss him here too.
Old 12-15-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by garolo
Hmm... if you "play with the settings", it "vertically stretches"?
Old 12-15-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Originally posted by garolo

Too Much Information if you ask me. I miss him here too.
The ladies know it's not about more picture, it's about the correct picture.
Old 12-15-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RandyC
He is alive and posting up a storm (his 4th username as far as I can tell) over at AVS forum.
I'm glad to see Danol still active. I didn't discover him here until recently and couldn't believe what I was reading. Whether he's an artist or not is an open question, but whether he's entertaining or not isn't.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.