Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Thread Closings

Old 11-05-03, 03:12 PM

Thread Closings

Haven't some of these gone too far? Seriously, can there not be any back and forth between members, even good natured ribbing between long standing members who have known each other for a long time?

Not to mention that the apparent reasons for thread closings are far from being applied consistently. I no longer have any idea what is acceptable, and what is not.

Could we get some clarification?
Old 11-05-03, 03:15 PM

I think if the conservatives would stop making blanket statements about the other side a lot of the thread closings could stop.
Old 11-05-03, 03:54 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Groucho
I think if the conservatives would stop making blanket statements about the other side a lot of the thread closings could stop.

If you change "the conservatives" to "some particular members", then you would have an excellent point.
Old 11-05-03, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Dead
If you change "the conservatives" to "some particular members", then you would have an excellent point.

I agree. (Of course I never know when Groucho is being serious or not, so I took it as such).

But the real problem is that some posters, and some threads, are given major leeway, while other posters, and threads, are closed for very innocent comments and/or banter. It is, after all, almost impossible to never mention another poster specifically, and to only "address the issues." There have been many threads recently that have, imho, addressed the issues that have been closed. It is as if there is no middle.
Old 11-05-03, 05:08 PM
Uber Member

Perhaps it would help to know whether the mods/admins are trying to address a specific issue with a small group of posters, or are implenting a change of the rules for the long haul?

It sounds like they're trying to clamp down on posting that goes beyond playful banter and treads into inflammatory behavior...sort of a Video Game forum-lite sort of moderating. But if that's the case, it might help to post some kind of explanation of this change in Other, and just add a caveat that the mods are being given a wide lattitude of interpretation in the beginning in order to get things under control. I add the last because I know that this type of monitoring is very much a "I know it when I see it" type of thing that's hard to put down in exact words. And you may just want to forgo it anyways for the usual nitpicks that type of post can lead to.
Old 11-05-03, 05:25 PM
X
Administrator

Closing thread...
Old 11-05-03, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

My fault.

I am sorry. I know I have been a bit edgy of late and I am the main one locking these threads. It seems the easiest way to get the message out without formal warnings or suspensions. I guess we need a new sticky on this because it seems that many are ignoring Randyís current sticky.

The problem is that the same people seem to always attack the other posters and not the ideas or the topic of the thread.

I want to quote the words of a senior member of our forum on this topic

These jabs at each other create an unwelcome air of hostility in the forums and make other members uncomfortable and reluctant to participate in discussions. Rather than berate fellow members for saying something you think is stupid, it's better to try restating what they said and asking if that's what they actually meant. It's very easy to misread a person's meaning when you only have text to go by; moreover, not everyone expresses themselves clearly through the written word.

If you think someone has said something truly outrageous, keep in mind that if you can't explain why what they've said is wrong or bad without resorting to personal attacks or insults, that you become part of the problem. Please just use the Report this Post to a Moderator link in the future.
It is now to the point that people are getting banned and suspended. People are also leaving the forum or donít participate in these threads due to the consistency of the rhetoric (on both sides). Look I was caught in the same mode for a while here so I understand. But we all need to step back and see if are we being a constructive member of the forum or a destructive member.

We all need to work a bit harder on sticking to the topic and avoiding discounting an opposing idea by turning on the poster.

In politics there will always be two sides so if you are going to participate in these threads please try and understand this.

Brett

Last edited by bfrank; 11-05-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-06-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For many of the closed threads it has seemed rather strict lately. But often in these threads you can see the problem coming. It is a similar situation to stopping the fistfight, sitting back to watch it or goading the other members on to see what they will do. If we reach an understanding with the rules I expect to see more leniency in the future. But there are some members I have not seen around for awhile and both the strictness and the leniency are the cause. Damned if you do... It is often better to weigh in on the side of strictness in these situations.

In after the lock. @ X
Old 11-08-03, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Blade
Perhaps it would help to know whether the mods/admins are trying to address a specific issue with a small group of posters, or are implenting a change of the rules for the long haul?

It sounds like they're trying to clamp down on posting that goes beyond playful banter and treads into inflammatory behavior...sort of a Video Game forum-lite sort of moderating. But if that's the case, it might help to post some kind of explanation of this change in Other, and just add a caveat that the mods are being given a wide lattitude of interpretation in the beginning in order to get things under control. I add the last because I know that this type of monitoring is very much a "I know it when I see it" type of thing that's hard to put down in exact words. And you may just want to forgo it anyways for the usual nitpicks that type of post can lead to.
I love how legendary the videogame forum is.
Old 11-13-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah Brett, take a hit off one of your bongs and relax for a bit.
Old 11-13-03, 12:05 PM
X
Administrator

It appears we have a padder problem in this forum.
Old 11-13-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by X
It appears we have a padder problem in this forum.
You've got some nerve talking about Geoff like that out in the open.

(sorry I'll stop)