Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Perhaps we need a new forum for polling and related threads?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 09-09-03, 03:04 PM

Not trying to be a Party Pooper but I think we need a new forum inside >DVD Talk Forum> DVD Discussions> DVD Talk called DVD Polling or something...

While I do enjoy some of the polling related threads (whats your favorite movie with a sheep... whats your favorite commentray... if you could only spend $200 this year on dvds what would you get... i thnk you get the picture...), the number of them seems to be increasing at a stupfying rate. I also don't think they are really related to the rest of the dvd talk that goes on. And can clutter the forum when your looking for threads with some useful insight or information regarding dvd defects, upcoming specs, etc...
Old 09-09-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope. I've seen forums that have that, and they become graveyards. I think they're just fine in the general section.
Old 09-09-03, 07:45 PM
SeeNo Member

I think hifi has a good idea.
Old 09-09-03, 09:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by milo bloom
Nope. I've seen forums that have that, and they become graveyards. I think they're just fine in the general section.
What become graveyards? The forums as a whole, or just the "polling section?"

I personally see very little purpose to many of the polling threads, and rarely read or partipate in them (except to mod). There is rarely any discussion in them... just a lot of people posting lists of random facts, some probably just to pad their count.

There are plenty of news items about DVDs that come out every week and threads that produce actual discussion. Even though I'm not in favor of a forum just for polling threads, I doubt that, if such a forum were created, DVD Talk would turn into a graveyard.
Old 09-10-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ebb and flow.

I say keep them in whatever category makes sense.
Old 09-10-03, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
There is rarely any discussion in them... just a lot of people posting lists of random facts, some probably just to pad their count.
That is kinda the point I am trying to make, for example I show 35 threads in the talk forum, 9 out of 35 have no real useful information. That's 9 threads with potential useful information to DVD forum go'ers that won't be displayed on the main screen (and if your like me you don't go past that). I personally do not I have the time to sift through 300 threads or make 3000 posts. I really enjoy this website and forum I just think some more refined forum sorting could help.
Old 09-10-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I meant the poll forums become graveyards. I think having them in the main section helps the traffic flow for the regular discussions. Heck, I think the review section should be folded back into the general section.
Old 09-10-03, 06:39 PM

So what your trying to say is dvd talk forum go'ers are so lazy that they wouldn't visit a separate forum for related topics? It doesn't take a genius to notice that this forum/site is VERY busy with people posting/viewing (posts) all the time.

I highly doubt another forum would discourage anyone from reading/posting said forum or visiting said or another forum.

I shouldn't have to sift through ******** threads in an attempt to find the important ones. This bit me in the ass back during the whole back to the future dvd issue. I found out about the whole problem a little late.
Old 09-10-03, 09:35 PM
Uber Member

I think it's important to remember that one person's ******** thread is another's gold...or something like that.

I tend to think that a poll forum is just a nice way to say we don't want polls posted here, as I agree that it would likely become a graveyard.

As long as there aren't too many at a given time, I don't really see why these should be singled out any more than any other thread topic.
Old 09-11-03, 04:37 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Static Cling

I personally see very little purpose to many of the polling threads, and rarely read or partipate in them (except to mod). There is rarely any discussion in them... just a lot of people posting lists of random facts, some probably just to pad their count.
I agree. But I think rather than a new area, the solution is simply for the mods to close pointless poll threads. Padding is against the rules, if the poll is lame, has no real point and is generating no real discussion, I don't see why it couldn't be closed as a pad thread. It might be tougher to implement in Other where (at least when I used to post there a couple years ago) pointless threads are the norm. But in DVD Talk and other areas I don't think it would cause much of an uproar and would likely please a great deal more people than it upset.
Old 09-11-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by milo bloom
I meant the poll forums become graveyards
What's wrong with that? The6y should die anyway. This way, they'd die peacefully in their sleep.
Old 09-12-03, 02:09 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It might be tougher to implement in Other where (at least when I used to post there a couple years ago) pointless threads are the norm.
OK, who had Sept. 11, 1:30pm Pacific for Josh's next snub of the Other forum?

I believe the pot was up to $15.00.

Anyone?

( Just having some fun with you Josh! )
Old 09-13-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did. What do I win?
Old 09-13-03, 10:00 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Tarantino
I did. What do I win?
Oh I'm sorry, I just checked the records and it looks like you had 1:30 AM.

Better luck next time!
Old 09-13-03, 10:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

We miss you, Blade!