Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Can this thread be moved to TV talk?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Can this be moved to TV talk?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...86#post3362686

Thank you
Old 02-27-03, 10:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand that he was a TV star, but there was already an active thread in Other. Most "celebrity death" threads spring up in there, anyways.
Old 02-27-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TV Talk gets no respect. There are often TV threads in Otter that never get moved over, and consequently many of us who don't have the time (or interest) to wade through the incessant conservative/liberal fighting miss out on legitimate TV discussions. I complained about this many months back and was ignored, so I just dropped it.

das
Old 02-27-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I disagree, not that threads may not get moved. Though it has ZERO to do with disrespect. That is a projection. It's that we miss them.

I read and post in TV Talk often. It's one of my favorite forums.

In the case of this particular thread, I disagree that it should be moved. If it was a discussion about the show Mr Roger's Neighborhood, than it should be in TV Talk. But it's not. It's about a guy that passed on. If an actor dies, I don't move the thread to Movie Talk. That is my perspective.
Old 02-27-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For clarity, I wasn't speaking specifically to this particular thread. I can definitely see the gray area. I was just taking this opportunity to bitch and complain about something that's annoyed me for a long time.

Although, I would ask you to consider this question: if TV Talk had started the thread first, would you have moved it to Otter? In situations like this, it would really be nice to be able to cross-post, something else I've mentioned in the past with little response.

das
Old 02-27-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, I would not have moved it from TV Talk either. It's partly about TV. Thinking about what I choose to move, I guess if there is enough relevance to the forum something was posted in, I would not move it. So gray area stuff stays.

I think your problem must be the Ignore feature on this forum.

Old 02-27-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth RandyC •<HR SIZE=1>I think your problem must be the Ignore feature on this forum.<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I am getting tired of clicking "here" to read all of <B>Cling</B>'s posts. Oh wait, you meant ... er ...

In truth, though, there is an annoyance with the Ignore feature. I use Ignore to keep from getting into arguments with people who repeatedly attack me (because I have no self-control), and it works great ... until someone else quotes an attack and I end up reading it. Then I have to exercise self-restraint, something I would rather not do.

das
Old 02-27-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If J. Lo died would it be moved to the music forum or the movie forum?
Old 02-27-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by diacritic
If J. Lo died would it be moved to the music forum or the movie forum?
Mature
Old 02-27-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
*sigh*

Since I was the author of the "R.I.P. Mister Rogers" thread I suppose I should give you an insight as to why it appears in Other...

A couple weeks ago I posted a "Signs" thread in DVD Talk. My reasoning behind it was that since it was on DVD, that's where it belonged. Now, granted, it was about the flick itself and not about the specs, cover art, etc..and even though the description for DVD Talk reads [Talk about DVD's and Movies on DVD.] it was promptly closed by Static Cling.

So...when I heard on the news that Mister Rogers died, I was thisclose to posting the thread in TV Talk..but I decided against it. [And also, the description for TV Talk says Talk about Shows on TV.]

Perhaps you guys should re-evaluate the way you read DVD Talk?

Do as I do...after entering the forum click on that way you can read the responses to your subscribed threads. [Of course, you'll have to utilize the button. After reading all the responses to the threads, click on the DVD Talk Forum link to the left of where it says "User Control Panel for [your screen name]". This will bring you to the screen with all the forums. From there, click on View New Posts link and that will give you page after page of threads with new posts across ALL forums. Now from here, what you choose to do could vary..I choose to right click on the of whatever thread I want to read and open it in a new window. Unless it's a thread I know i'll read quick and not respond to. YMMV. Once you're done selecting &/or reading, go to the bottom of the page and click on the Mark All Forums Read link and -- VOILA -- everything's reset.

I realize that there are individuals that rarely, if ever venture out of certain forums [das is lord and master of TV Talk ], but Following these steps will help you become a better, more worldly person and work towards stopping all this segregation!
Old 02-27-03, 03:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Rogue588
A couple weeks ago I posted a "Signs" thread in DVD Talk. My reasoning behind it was that since it was on DVD, that's where it belonged. Now, granted, it was about the flick itself and not about the specs, cover art, etc..and even though the description for DVD Talk reads [Talk about DVD's and Movies on DVD.] it was promptly closed by Static Cling.
To clarify, threads that have been about the flicks themselves and not about DVD features have always been moved to Movie Talk by me or other people. There were already one or more threads about Signs in Movie Talk, so instead of moving it and having another one there, I just closed it.
Old 02-27-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Rogue588 •<HR SIZE=1>I realize that there are individuals that rarely, if ever venture out of certain forums [das is lord and master of TV Talk ]<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm allowed into other forums? Holy carp! Why didn't someone say something earlier? Book Talk, here I come ...

das

P.S. In case you thought I was kidding, http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...73#post3364673

Last edited by das Monkey; 02-27-03 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-27-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is definitely in the right place. Now if they had an episode of Mr. Rogers where someone died, it would belong in TV Talk. It doesn't seem gray to me, it seems abundently clear that it belongs in Other.
Old 02-27-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I have to disagree, we know him from TV. It is a TV subject.

As for J. Lo, that would be one of those grey areas. I would say whichever got the post first (Music or Movies) would be allowed to keep theirs.

This was before the forum's time, but where would Brandon Lee's death have been put? His death did affect the production of the Crow, and a production issue would be in Movies, but an actor's death goes in Other?

Personally, I would like one big massive forum to encourage discussion because I sometimes forget to check some of the areas, and when I do I find a treasure trove of topics.
And as long as I'm wishing, I want a pony
Old 02-28-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
This was before the forum's time, but where would Brandon Lee's death have been put? His death did affect the production of the Crow, and a production issue would be in Movies, but an actor's death goes in Other?
Perhaps two threads:

One thread in the Other Forum to discuss the death and to pay respects to Lee.

One thread in the Movie Talk Forum to discuss the production of the movie and how studios generally deal with finishing movies when a star dies or gets injured or gets ill during a shoot.

TV Talk Forum is more about the TV shows than the actors. Movie Talk Forum is more about the movies than the actors. Music Talk Forum is more about the music than about the singers.

Other Forum: Winona Ryder's shoplifting news
Movie Forum: How Winona Ryder's shoplifting might boost box office figures for Mr. Deeds

Other Forum: I saw Rob Lowe at a benefit
TV Forum: Did Rob Lowe attend the benefit to promote his return to West Wing?

Other Forum: Who still cares if Britney Spears is a virgin or not?
Music Forum: Is Britney really attacking Justin with the lyrics?
Old 02-28-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Britney writes lyrics?

das
Old 03-01-03, 10:26 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by das Monkey
There are often TV threads in Otter that never get moved over, and consequently many of us who don't have the time (or interest) to wade through the incessant conservative/liberal fighting miss out on legitimate TV discussions.
Hate to agree with the monkey boy, but dang it if I do. Wholeheartedly. It's incredibly frustrating for this non-beliver that the forum's gravitational pull always seems to favor the black hole known as Other over "lesser" forums.
Old 03-01-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What threads "should" have been in TV Talk?
Old 03-14-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RandyC
If an actor dies, I don't move the thread to Movie Talk. That is my perspective.
Originally posted by Static Cling
To clarify, threads that have been about the flicks themselves and not about DVD features have always been moved to Movie Talk by me or other people.
Originally posted by namja
TV Talk Forum is more about the TV shows than the actors. Movie Talk Forum is more about the movies than the actors. Music Talk Forum is more about the music than about the singers.
So... The <a href = 'http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278104'>Lynne Thigpen RIP</a> thread was moved to Movie Talk (from Other), what, just to frustrate me???

Old 03-14-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

I was gonna comment on this too..[but decided to just step back and duck for my safety..]

Hey man, I just report the stuff..
Old 03-14-03, 10:47 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I only know George W. Bush from TV. I therefore demand that all threads discussing him be moved immediately to the TV forum!
Old 03-14-03, 11:44 AM
Admin Emeritus

Well... I didn't do it.
Old 03-15-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
So... The <a href = 'http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278104'>Lynne Thigpen RIP</a> thread was moved to Movie Talk (from Other), what, just to frustrate me???
Take any of the answers below:
(1) Yes.
(2) Just to see if the members are paying attention.
(3) One of the moderators thought that Lynne Thigpen was a movie.
(4) It was 2 a.m. when the thread was moved. Who can think clearly at 2 a.m.?
(5) Yes
Old 03-16-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by namja
Take any of the answers below:
(4) It was 2 a.m. when the thread was moved. Who can think clearly at 2 a.m.?
Moderating's like driving. If you feel impaired, you should give your keys to someone who's not.

Old 03-16-03, 11:56 PM
Admin Emeritus

Mods don't let mods mod drunk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.