Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Spammer

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reported. got it twice!
Old 02-17-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Just got one too! What is going on in here?????
Old 02-17-03, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gkleinman
Which also brings up the question I've been thinking over:

Should we restrict reading the forum to people who are registered and logged in? Basically this means unless you have an account on the forum you can't see any of the threads...
Nah, I wouldnt do that. If you did people would not know what this place is about and could potentially hurt your banner sales. I personally lurked for a good six months before I registered. I was looking for CH DVD club info and your forum was what I found. Ever since then I have been hooked.
Old 02-17-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it'd be reasonable for disabling the email views for non-members, but I think we should also have PM enabled which could let more people turn off their email addy. Yet, I think that'd just hog the resources a bit more.
Old 02-17-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Which also brings up the question I've been thinking over:

Should we restrict reading the forum to people who are registered and logged in? Basically this means unless you have an account on the forum you can't see any of the threads...
I wouldn't do that either. You've gotten a few new viewers thru me because I'll be at someones house and something comes up and we'll look up a thread. It is bad enough that you have to register to search (I think), but to force them to register would be a large deterrent.

Conversly, you may get some new members if you force some of the people who come here ONLY for columbia house info. You may turn them into contributing members, or drive them away.
Old 02-18-03, 12:14 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a matter of weighing the pros and cons.

Pros:

1. Keeps spammers from getting e-mail addresses, or at least requires more effort on their part.

2. Will save some bandwith by keeping away lurkers who add nothing to the discussion.

Cons:

1. Will greatly reduce new member sign-ups. Not many people will sign up for a forum they can't look at first.

I'd say the cons probably outweigh the pros there. Maybe you could do as the other member suggested above and keep a forum or two open (i.e. DVD talk) to anyone to view so they can get a feel for the site, and close the rest of the forums so only registered members can view them to take advantage of the pros listed above.
Old 02-18-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Got that spam too. Laughed when I saw the webite was gone.
Totally in favor of only letting registered members view e-mail addresses.
Not so sure blocking the entire forum is the right solution. Are there any other limitations you could place on non-registered lurkers, like only being able to look at posts from the past 24 hours?