Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why are threads that discuss legitimate software being locked???

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-03, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

After seeing that moderator X locked this thread , I'd like to know what is the reason.

Last time I checked, DVDxCopy was a legitimate software, produced and marketed by a legitimate company based in the U.S., and its primary intended purpose is to allow people to do back-ups of discs thay already own.

The same thing can be said about Nero.

So why was the thread locked? Why can't the member who initially posted a question, because he had a legitimate concern about his computer, receive an answer to his question?

If this is a real, consistent policy on DVDTalk, please state clearly someplace that DVDxCoopy should not be mentioned. Because, frankly, I believe X is a bit overreaching.
Old 02-09-03, 01:52 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I have addressed this so many times. I hope you did a search in the Computer Forum before posting this question. That thread was a close call because it wasn't specifically talking about how to use DVDxCopy or how to copy a DVD. But I think it would be wise of people to leave out the part of their question that shows that responses to their questions are aiding the digital copying of DVDs.

There are several reasons why we do not allow discussions of copying of DVDs and the software that facilitates it. First, let's see how this case is resolved before we decide what is "legitimate software".

Second, since DVDxCopy's sole purpose is to copy copyrighted material it falls within one of DVD Talk's rules, that members have all agreed to:

The following is strictly prohibited on the DVD Talk Forum and may result in immediate account suspension/ban:
Anything that violates the trademark or copyright of another company including anything that may violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

I haven't looked into its mechanism, but DVDxCopy very likely also cracks the CSS that protects the DVD's content. That is specifically contrary to the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act which makes it illegal to crack the encryption protecting a digital movie, music or other copyrighted material.

Third, you may want to consider the primary subject matter of DVD Talk. Providing instructions on how to crack and copy the material that most of us depend on here just doesn't seem the smartest thing to do. There are other forums that discuss these techniques and you should visit them if you are interested in the subject.
Old 02-09-03, 02:12 PM

I did a search, and the only thing that popped out as a result in the whole forum was the thread that was locked. I think the search engine is screwy.

see the results here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/search....der=descending

(or if the link doesn't work, do a search on "dvdxcopy")

Also, mkdevo requested help with something technical-related - namely his computer set-up.
Old 02-09-03, 02:29 PM
X
Administrator

I guess the better search would rely on knowing the answer. I don't think DVDxCopy has been discussed before, but similar products and techniques have been.

Try the terms "copyright" and "copyrighted". They result in similar explanations.

In terms of asking for help, the thread is fine, and we'd love to help mkdevo. Just without the particular product mentioned. All it takes is a better-worded request.
Old 02-09-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
X, why don't you just make a sticky in the computer forum about the bootlegs, DVD copying software, etc? Seems logical since other subforums have one. Or its just more fun for you to close more threads this way?
Old 02-09-03, 03:32 PM
X
Administrator

Oh, a sticky would just ruin all my fun. You have no idea how enjoyable it is to type the same reason for closing a thread over and over.

I was thinking about the sticky and then forgot about it. I think your reminder might just get me working on it.
Old 02-09-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, what, did I hit some kinda fringe area with this thread?

Not that it’s a great loss. With all the bogus info being posted, it was only a matter of time before somebody suggested cleaning out the chips from my DVD-R drive.

BTW, doesn’t “copyrighted” have 11 letters?
Old 02-10-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDxCopy is legal and is used for backing up my DVD's...why can't it be discussed in a DVD-type forum? Doesn't make sense.
Old 02-11-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You don't read too well, do you?
Old 02-11-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally posted by X
The following is strictly prohibited on the DVD Talk Forum and may result in immediate account suspension/ban:
Anything that violates the trademark or copyright of another company including anything that may violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
FWIW, and I know nothing about this software, but the mere copying of legally obtained copyrighted material for one's own personal use normally falls under the category of "fair use" and is not a violation of copyright law...
Old 02-11-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The link provided by X sums it up pretty well. Since some folks seemed to miss checking it out:
The case is the latest test of the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which makes it illegal to pick the electronic locks protecting a digital movie, music or other copyrighted material.
As it appears that this specific law is spelled out in the DVDTalk rules, it seems clear to me.
Old 02-11-03, 07:15 PM
Retired

Legal issues aside, I think it would be too much to expect the mods to continually check the threads to make sure no one discussing any illegal uses of legit software.
Old 02-12-03, 06:04 PM

if you want to discuss about DVDXCopy or having problems with the software, the company 321Studios has its own website forum. I dont want to link it but you can easily find it on the software. I would think their forum would be better since it is their software. Why do you need to post on DVDTALK, especially questionable software that may or may not be legal.
Old 02-14-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by duy37
if you want to discuss about DVDXCopy or having problems with the software, the company 321Studios has its own website forum. I dont want to link it but you can easily find it on the software. I would think their forum would be better since it is their software. Why do you need to post on DVDTALK, especially questionable software that may or may not be legal.
Well said. Leave the poor mod alone!
Old 02-14-03, 08:08 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by Peep
Well said. Leave the poor mod alone!
Nice Bargain

Old 02-19-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh yeah, wanted to add if we can discuss other type of software such as ac3>wav, ac3>mp3, vob>wav converters? Just those apps, not how to rip dvds, etc, althought I can see if links were to be posted to similar software, it would not be hard to find dvd ripping tools.