Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

A weird problem with the site....

Old 01-22-03, 02:30 PM

A weird problem with the site....

....which I've had to post a question about while at work, because...well, the problem is that, for some reason, when I access the forum from my computer at home, I don't get any buttons on the screen, including those for starting new threads or replying to old ones! (Therefore, I couldn't post this question asking about the buttons, since I needed the buttons in order to post the question in the first place!!) Those little "Go" buttons next to the pull-down menus aren't visible either, but at least my cursor changes to a hand when I'm over them, which seems to indicate that they're still present, just hidden. Not so for the "new thread" and "post reply" buttons, which show up fine here at work, but are completely GONE when I'm at home. Haven't accessed the site in a little while, but I know I didn't have that problem back then! Anybody have any idea what the hell's going on? Some weird firewall effect on my computer or something?
Old 01-22-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The images are hosted on a different server -- ads.kleinman.com. Can you access that server? For some reason, did you restrict access to that server?
Old 01-22-03, 03:00 PM
X
Administrator

Or restrict ads?
Old 01-22-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about adding Reply/New Thread text links at the bottom of the page for when pages don't load?
Old 01-22-03, 09:33 PM

Thanx for the help, all. It's something to do with my Internet firewall software -- I looked at the list of sites that it's supposedly blocking, but didn't specifically see ads.kleinman.com on it. Nevertheless, when I disable the firewall, the buttons magically reappear! Rather than go thru the headache of searching thru the blocked-sites list again, I'll just remember to temporarily turn off the firewall software when I visit this site. Thanx again!
Old 01-22-03, 11:03 PM
X
Administrator

Instead of turning off the firewall software you might try explicitly allowing ads.kleinman.com to go through it. It's very possibly blocking anything that starts with "ads".
Old 01-24-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
Instead of turning off the firewall software you might try explicitly allowing ads.kleinman.com to go through it. It's very possibly blocking anything that starts with "ads".
I agree.

DO NOT turn off your firewall.