Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

att*ack* the mad pop ups

Old 01-09-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

att*ack* the mad pop ups

two times this evening, i was browsing around in the otterland when shebam, i was beseiged with a bazillion (plus or minus a few) pop up ads. even with my rapid clicking skills, i couldnt close them even remotely fast enough and it crashed my puter. i havent visited any sites that i dont visit on a regular basis (yahoo mail and my soapopera are the only sites that have pop ups besides you guys), and i hadnt visited those since before lunch (the crash occured after 9 pm central time). no other windows were active and my internet service is thru my school so there is no pop up possiblity there. so i dont know if there was a problem with the ads here or if i just have a freaky computer. wanted to see if anyone had had this problem or not...
Old 01-09-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't recall getting any of that pop-ups. Did this happen just one time? If it wasn't another glitch, which does happens. Scan the 'puter for spyware.

Edit: Oh, I don't bother closing windows with the mouse. I like to use ALT+F4 and ALT+TAB. ESC will stop the loading of a page.

Last edited by Ranger; 01-09-03 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-09-03, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

I have not had this problem here, I doubt it's DVDtalk related. Have you installed and run ad-aware? You should.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Old 01-09-03, 02:20 AM
X
Administrator

I did get something unusual earlier tonight, but not more than one pop-up at a time. Every time I came to DVD Talk I got one pop-up. Didn't matter if I had been here just a few minutes earlier, I'd get another one. Not normal.

I just figured Geoff needed to serve a bunch of ads quickly to stay on target. But it only does it when I first come here after opening a new browser, not when I'm navigating around.
Old 01-09-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by X
But it only does it when I first come here after opening a new browser, not when I'm navigating around.
Random guess: maybe the ads being displayed are session-based? At least with the way the built-in session handlers in PHP works, launching a new instantiation of IE will be seen as a 'new' session even if a current one was already open, but opening a new window by right clicking or CTRL+N-ing will be seen as part of the same session.
Old 01-09-03, 12:31 PM
Registered

Yep... Testing session based pop-unders. 1x per visit...
Old 01-09-03, 04:51 PM

happened again last night but i was too lazy to reboot the puter. figured out it happened every time the i posted a reply and the new reply page would open up. will check ou tthe thiung you mentioned randy. not problems today, though...
Old 01-09-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow,

I"m glad I use Pop Up Stoppers...
Old 01-13-03, 04:40 AM

so i pulled a nancy drew and figured out it is not related to pop up ads. actually, i discovered it on accident, and it still happened after DLing a pop up eliminator. when i reply, if i close the window while it is in prgross of returning to my reply, the window with the thread that i just replied to is the one that keeps popping up, even after i disconnect my internet service. no clue if that means i have a retarded computer (highly likely) or what... guess that is what i get for being impatient
Old 01-13-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great, now I'm getting those pop-ups! ALT+F4 is really my favorite combo of keys now.
Old 01-13-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I've been getting a pop up every couple minutes
only dvdtalk pages are open

fear.com popup

Last edited by mikehunt; 01-13-03 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-13-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it this popup? http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=263450