Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Could we add a feature to the polls?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like there to be an option on polls to see who voted which way. It's too anonymous right now. Even if the initial user generating the poll could decide if he wanted it to be an anon poll or one that reveals the breakdown of the votes it would be better than the current way.

I like that you don't have to actually post in the thread to do the poll, but I wish that you could click where the poll tells the number of people who have voted to see a breakdown of votes.

I'm sure there is a hack out there to do this on vbulletin.
Old 12-29-02, 12:43 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
What are you, a Communist or something?

Oh yeah, just noticed your location.
Old 12-29-02, 01:21 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
From what I understand it's much too CPU intensive to implement. And it would remove the ability of members to vote anonymously if that's what they wanted.
Old 12-29-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
And it would remove the ability of members to vote anonymously if that's what they wanted.
First part I agree with...second part, which is what i left, is utterly silly. Nobody has to vote in ANYTHING on dvdtalk. If the person making the poll wishes it to be anon they could do that. If they want it to not be anon then they should have the option for that. If the poll maker wants it non-anon while you want to remain anon then don't vote. Problemo solved.

However, with regards to the first thing, many things are said to be too cpu intensive when in reality they are not. Take for instance the PM feature which numerous vbulletin developers testify are not, contrary to the misbelief, cpu or bandwidth intensive. I am curious as to if it actually is anymore cpu intensive or if it's just a misconception.
Old 12-29-02, 06:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by Alyoshka
However, with regards to the first thing, many things are said to be too cpu intensive when in reality they are not. Take for instance the PM feature which numerous vbulletin developers testify are not, contrary to the misbelief, cpu or bandwidth intensive. I am curious as to if it actually is anymore cpu intensive or if it's just a misconception.
Take it from me, I know it is too CPU intensive to do in its present form. I've tried it out.

As for your point of people just not voting, well that will certainly aid in the already non-scientific results we get. Your method would definitely skew results to the non-embarrassing answers. We might be thinking of different polls. I'm not thinking of "How much did you love ... movie".
Old 12-30-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
Take it from me, I know it is too CPU intensive to do in its present form. I've tried it out.
Ahh, that's quite a bit different from what you said the first time. If you've seen it first hand then sounds good. Keep it in mind if they ever get it set up so it's not too intensive.
Old 12-30-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Alyoshka
Ahh, that's quite a bit different from what you said the first time. If you've seen it first hand then sounds good. Keep it in mind if they ever get it set up so it's not too intensive.
Fear not, I once posted a thread asking if we could have a view count ... 'cause I knew that millions of people were reading my threads, even if no one replied. It too was too CPU intensive ... and then bam, almost the next week, there it was. Right along with the change from UBB to vB.

Old 12-30-02, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by BigPete
It too was too CPU intensive ... and then bam, almost the next week, there it was. Right along with the change from UBB to vB.
Wow, I didn't understand a single word of that. The framizstat's in the jiggawatzit now?
Old 12-31-02, 08:43 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Wow, I didn't understand a single word of that. The framizstat's in the jiggawatzit now?
Wow, I guess you really didn't understand anything. The framizstadt was in the jiggawatzit, but the random strombitz was taking up too much fromble, so they switched to the dronem option. Got it now?