Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Could we add a feature to the polls?

Old 12-29-02, 11:28 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,779
Could we add a feature to the polls?

I'd like there to be an option on polls to see who voted which way. It's too anonymous right now. Even if the initial user generating the poll could decide if he wanted it to be an anon poll or one that reveals the breakdown of the votes it would be better than the current way.

I like that you don't have to actually post in the thread to do the poll, but I wish that you could click where the poll tells the number of people who have voted to see a breakdown of votes.

I'm sure there is a hack out there to do this on vbulletin.
Alyoshka is offline  
Old 12-29-02, 01:43 PM
  #2  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,368
What are you, a Communist or something?

Oh yeah, just noticed your location.
Psi is offline  
Old 12-29-02, 02:21 PM
  #3  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,738
From what I understand it's much too CPU intensive to implement. And it would remove the ability of members to vote anonymously if that's what they wanted.
X is offline  
Old 12-29-02, 06:48 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,779
Originally posted by X
And it would remove the ability of members to vote anonymously if that's what they wanted.
First part I agree with...second part, which is what i left, is utterly silly. Nobody has to vote in ANYTHING on dvdtalk. If the person making the poll wishes it to be anon they could do that. If they want it to not be anon then they should have the option for that. If the poll maker wants it non-anon while you want to remain anon then don't vote. Problemo solved.

However, with regards to the first thing, many things are said to be too cpu intensive when in reality they are not. Take for instance the PM feature which numerous vbulletin developers testify are not, contrary to the misbelief, cpu or bandwidth intensive. I am curious as to if it actually is anymore cpu intensive or if it's just a misconception.
Alyoshka is offline  
Old 12-29-02, 07:08 PM
  #5  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,738
Originally posted by Alyoshka
However, with regards to the first thing, many things are said to be too cpu intensive when in reality they are not. Take for instance the PM feature which numerous vbulletin developers testify are not, contrary to the misbelief, cpu or bandwidth intensive. I am curious as to if it actually is anymore cpu intensive or if it's just a misconception.
Take it from me, I know it is too CPU intensive to do in its present form. I've tried it out.

As for your point of people just not voting, well that will certainly aid in the already non-scientific results we get. Your method would definitely skew results to the non-embarrassing answers. We might be thinking of different polls. I'm not thinking of "How much did you love ... movie".
X is offline  
Old 12-30-02, 01:05 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,779
Originally posted by X
Take it from me, I know it is too CPU intensive to do in its present form. I've tried it out.
Ahh, that's quite a bit different from what you said the first time. If you've seen it first hand then sounds good. Keep it in mind if they ever get it set up so it's not too intensive.
Alyoshka is offline  
Old 12-30-02, 01:32 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: not CT
Posts: 9,618
Originally posted by Alyoshka
Ahh, that's quite a bit different from what you said the first time. If you've seen it first hand then sounds good. Keep it in mind if they ever get it set up so it's not too intensive.
Fear not, I once posted a thread asking if we could have a view count ... 'cause I knew that millions of people were reading my threads, even if no one replied. It too was too CPU intensive ... and then bam, almost the next week, there it was. Right along with the change from UBB to vB.

BigPete is offline  
Old 12-30-02, 06:13 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Antipodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 6,122
Originally posted by BigPete
It too was too CPU intensive ... and then bam, almost the next week, there it was. Right along with the change from UBB to vB.
Wow, I didn't understand a single word of that. The framizstat's in the jiggawatzit now?
The Antipodean is offline  
Old 12-31-02, 09:43 AM
  #9  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,109
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Wow, I didn't understand a single word of that. The framizstat's in the jiggawatzit now?
Wow, I guess you really didn't understand anything. The framizstadt was in the jiggawatzit, but the random strombitz was taking up too much fromble, so they switched to the dronem option. Got it now?
Bandoman is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.