Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Could I get a critical distinction between two threads?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 11-16-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ighlight=Drunk [locked]

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=251213 [open]

I would have loved to have continued opening drinking threads, but I was specifically told that DVDTalk doesn't allow it by Blade. Now I'm thoroughly confused.
Old 11-16-02, 11:52 AM
Mod Emeritus

I have no answer for you but I have an observation or two.

Almost any pronouncement concerning, or re-stating of. or amendment to DVDTalk.com Forum rules or practices is nearly inevitably followed by a modicum of debate - sometimes pro, sometimes con - and equally often by someone choosing to be "edgy" or "envelope-pushing" who ignores or tests the "rule" in question.

Protestations of ignorance or innocence soon follow.

I'm sorry that doesn't answer your question but I thought I'd drop it into the mix.

Last edited by benedict; 11-16-02 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-16-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by benedict

Almost any pronouncement concerning, or re-stating of. or amendment to DVDTalk.com Forum rules or practices is nearly inevitably followed by a modicum of debate
But the odd thing is that Blade said stated the rule yesterday...this thread was started yesterday. Did the rule change in a matter of hours?
Old 11-16-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I always thought asking what people were drinking was ok, just not the
"I'm so wasted I can barely type" types of posts
Old 11-16-02, 01:26 PM
X
Administrator

I saw the thread last night when it had just a few posts. It said nothing about getting drunk. The second and third posts that I saw were jokes. However, now looking over what has since transpired in that thread, you seem to be the only one really talking about planning to get drunk:

i am planning to get drunk tonight on whatever comes my way. Dddddddddddddddd runnnnnnnnnnnnk.

We do allow conversations about drinks, how to mix them, people mentioning that they drank too much the previous night, etc. But not threads specifically about planning to go out and getting drunk as your referenced one was.

So I have closed this thread too as much for its being over and irrelevant now as for your complaint here. I am also trying to minimize your confusion. If it makes you feel any better a thread started the previous night about who is smoking weed tonight got removed from Other.

I hope this clarifies things. It's all I know and I don't think I'll have anything else that I'll be able to contribute to this discussion.
Old 11-16-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting. After seeing the thread closed, I jumped over here to find the obligatory “why was my thread closed” thread. Surprised, but only moderately so, to find out who started this thread.

I hope I’m not being out of line here, but: Alyoshka, what is it about drinking threads? Or is it just about your thread?

FWIW, I thought the phrase (in your thread), “Later tonight I'm getting plowed, how about you?” sounded like an invitation to getting drunk. While you may have meant it to say, “What are you planning to do?” that was not my first impression.

FWIW.

From my personal POV, I find posts about generic plans (what are you doing tonight, what did you watch this weekend, what are you gonna buy Tuesday) kind of a waste of space. But it’s not my forum, so not really mine to say since I really don’t have a complaint about them.
Old 11-16-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also read that thread when it only had about 5 posts in it. At that time it was still a poll thread more or less, albeit a silly one.
Old 11-17-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, ok, so the minor-prohibition is in effect at dvdtalk. I can open a thread about drinking as long as it doesn't get to the point of saying the word "drunk."

Makes perfect sense! I'm glad the cracker-jack mods have helped me out on this confusion.
Old 11-17-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Wizdar
Interesting. After seeing the thread closed, I jumped over here to find the obligatory “why was my thread closed” thread. Surprised, but only moderately so, to find out who started this thread.

I hope I’m not being out of line here, but: Alyoshka, what is it about drinking threads? Or is it just about your thread?

Of course it's about my thread. It's the only reason I'm confused. If my thread had ever been explained for why it was closed and others that discuss drinking were not, I wouldn't be asking. It seems to me like a very simple question that a plethora of mods have made into a very difficult question.

Unfortunately, it isn't my fault that the mods can't dictate a consise rule for why my thread was ever closed. Instead mods like X bely my confusion as simply being their "headache." Seems a bit immature to me.

I deleted my other thread because I didn't want it as complex as it was getting. I honestly just want to know what the rule is concerning threads about drinking or alcohol. What the line is. Or if there isn't a rule what sort of factors they will look at in deciding if a thread with discussions about alcohol gets closed.

Perhaps instead of closing thread about being drunk it would have been better to move it to the mature forum? It would have been better to retitle it, "What are you drinking tonight?"
From my personal POV, I find posts about generic plans (what are you doing tonight, what did you watch this weekend, what are you gonna buy Tuesday) kind of a waste of space. But it’s not my forum, so not really mine to say since I really don’t have a complaint about them.
I know that it's just a venue for padding to continue. The majority of the people who post in these also IM each other all the time. It would be more beneficial if they just chose to tell of their plans over IMs. That is my opinion about it.
Old 11-17-02, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Alyoshka
I'm glad the cracker-jack mods have helped me out on this
confusion.

Can somebody re-name this thread: The Cracker-Jack Mods Keep Killing My Buzz ?

Also:

* I don't know what "minor-prohibition" is.
* For most people, there exists a distinction between drinking and getting drunk.
Old 11-17-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by stevevt

* I don't know what "minor-prohibition" is.
* For most people, there exists a distinction between drinking and getting drunk.
Clearly there is a distinction. Undoubtably. So, is it a rule now that nobody can mention plans to get drunk, the fact that they were drunk, that they might enjoy getting drunk, that their friend was drunk? Is it only in thread titles or could it also be inside the thread? Can you be suspended for it or banned or warned? Will it be acceptable in the Mature forum?
Old 11-17-02, 07:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

<b>Alyoshka</b>, whatever the rationale, I <i>really</i> wish you hadn't deleted that earlier thread.
Old 11-17-02, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, I'm usually one to quibble about the rules with the best of them , but this really doesn't seem worth the effort. I do agree that the thread started by damn_skippy deserved to be locked by the same logic as yours, but is it that important to you? We're talking about an occasional thread that treads the line between talking about getting drunk versus a thread that talks about what someone is doing, which may include drinking...

With all due respect, Alyoshka, it just seems like you are still complaining about your threads being closed; you don't seem all that concerned about settling a rule of earth-shattering importance.
Old 11-17-02, 11:38 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Clearly there is a distinction. Undoubtably. So, is it a rule now that nobody can mention plans to get drunk, the fact that they were drunk, that they might enjoy getting drunk, that their friend was drunk? Is it only in thread titles or could it also be inside the thread? Can you be suspended for it or banned or warned? Will it be acceptable in the Mature forum?
Originally posted by X earlier in the thread
We do allow conversations about drinks, how to mix them, people mentioning that they drank too much the previous night, etc. But not threads specifically about planning to go out and getting drunk as your referenced one was.
As far as getting warned/suspended/banned... if one kept trying to start threads that aren't allowed on the forum (as opposed to a one-time honest mistake thing), he could probably expect to receive some sort of administrative action. As far as the Mature Forum... don't know much about it, but I wouldn't post threads about getting high/drunk in there, either.

Any more questions?
Old 11-18-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth LurkerDan •<HR SIZE=1>You know, I'm usually one to quibble about the rules with the best of them , but this really doesn't seem worth the effort.<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sitting this one out too - care to join me on the sidelines? I have popcorn.

das
Old 11-18-02, 05:41 AM
Uber Member

Alyoshka,

This is a non-issue, that has been answered, and has been in practice for months now. We've been weeding out "nonsense" threads for some time now. "I'm getting drunk tonight" threads generally fall under this heading. "Weeding out" does not mean "no longer allowed at all" so there will be some variation in the level of enforcement. There is no fine line and looking for some firm rule when dealing with the variety of threads to be found in Other is a waste of time as you should well know.

I suggest finding something better to do than wasting the moderator/administrator's time on this board.

If you keep this up, I will ban you for wasting our time.

Closing thread.