Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Why were my threads closed?

Old 10-25-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why were my threads closed?

Andy closed my "I'm back" thread http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=246139
, saying it had "jumped the shark". I am not familiar with that phrase, and so I had started a new thread, asking what jumping the shark meant.
After I opened the new thread, at http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=246139 it became apparent to me that there were some insults that I had written off as sarcasm, but which didn't seem to me reason enough to close a thread over, just because bust stated he didn't like the person I am dating. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

So basically, I halfway see (but don't really think it should've been) why Andy closed the first thread, but then X closed the second thread without an explanation except "This one has jumped the goat." That helped a WHOLE lot.

Would you care to explain why you closed this thread? I never even got an answer to my original question.
Old 10-25-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Why were my threads closed?

Originally posted by Betho

Would you care to explain why you closed this thread? I never even got an answer to my original question.
What was your original question?

If you're asking what Jumping the Shark means, Bushdog answered that one with a link to this site, which should give you all the info you want. A forum search would (probably, eventually) do the trick, too.

I could try to guess why your thread(s) were closed, but your best bet in a situation like this is to e-mail the moderator in question, the forum mods in general, or an administrator.
Old 10-25-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks to me that the first thread was closed because it had been a while since you actually "were back," and the thread had deteriorated into insults and silliness.

The second thread appears to have been closed, because your question was answered and again the thread was about to deteriorate.

Since you missed the answer in the second thread, "jump the shark" is a lame term employed by every 14-year old fanboy to refer to the worst moment in a TV show/long-running event. It's used incorrectly by most, as the term technically refers to the last great moment in a TV show ... the moment after which everything goes downhill. It's based on Fonzie jumping the shark on <I>Happy Days</I>. Whether used correctly or incorrectly, it's meant to imply that the subject's better days are behind us, and there's not much point continuing. By saying the thread "has jumped the shark," <B>AndyCapps</B> is saying that the usefulness of the thread is behind us (so I assume).

das

P.S. The term's cycle has gone so far that many think the phrase "saying 'jump the shark' has jumped the shark" itself has jumped the shark.

Last edited by das Monkey; 10-25-02 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-25-02, 09:31 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally posted by das Monkey
P.S. The term's cycle has gone so far that many think the phrase "saying 'jump the shark' has jumped the shark" itself has jumped the shark.
I will ponder this koan for weeks.
Old 10-25-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa, das, you should be a mod!

I once had to ask an admin to close a thread I started b/c I made it clear I wasn't going to discuss the topic further and some people just kept dragging it on and make irrelevant remarks which could have been interpreted as offensive since it was being directed at a member, and so I never went back to that particular forum either.

I guess some people probably would have reported some comments made in your thread to the mods anyway. I agree with das on everything he said. Esp this part

the thread had deteriorated into insults and silliness.

Last edited by Ranger; 10-25-02 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-25-02, 09:49 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I live by insults and silliness.
Old 10-25-02, 10:34 PM
X
Administrator

Of course e-mail to moderators is the preferred way to get an answer to these types of questions. But since this thread is here...

As has been mentioned before, the first thread had deteriorated into insults and banter between just a couple of people. That type of banter has long been encouraged to be taken to e-mail or IM and nothing has changed about that. I think most people could see the thread as we knew it was over and maybe it could even be considered hijacked to death. I must say, "jumped the shark" was a great description.

The second thread was one that should have been taken up in e-mail or possibly in this forum. While the title asked what "jump the shark" meant, the first post asked:
referring to this thread: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...3&pagenumber=4

Why'd you close my thread? I'm lost.
Bushdog took care of answering the shark question with a link to a page containing this definition:

The remainder of the thread concerned why the original thread was closed and it then just became a continuation of the insults and banter of the original thread. When a thread is closed for a reason, continuing that type of posting in another thread pretty much guarantees that it will be closed as well.

I explained my reference to "jumped the goat" in the thread that Thor Simpson immediately created. The thread disappeared so I can only think that he also deleted it. If you didn't see my explanation "jumped the goat" referred to the infamous Goat Nazi picture that Soup e-mailed and said that I could post. I had mentioned yesterday that it wouldn't be fair to post those types of pictures of him since he could not post here. Sorry if I confused people, I just didn't think that expression would be so obscure.

This is my perspective and I hope it cleared up any confusion.
Old 10-26-02, 10:16 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by das Monkey
Whether used correctly or incorrectly, it's meant to imply that the subject's better days are behind us, and there's not much point continuing. By saying the thread "has jumped the shark," <B>AndyCapps</B> is saying that the usefulness of the thread is behind us (so I assume).
Bingo. My first thought was "s*** the bed", but instead "jumped the shark" came out of my fingers. I blame it on a recent thread asking what "jumping the shark" means, http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=196326

I saw that the thread seemed to be heading in a very bad direction, and thought it best to end it there. Preventing a train wreck is better than having to clean up afterwards.
Old 10-26-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by AndyCapps
. . . .
I saw that the thread seemed to be heading in a very bad direction, and thought it best to end it there. Preventing a train wreck is better than having to clean up afterwards.
The first thread was going in a direction that was best to cut off. Andy showed excellent timing.

Without being cute or vague, Bust was slowly building up criticisms of Soup, a couple of us were defending it, and ultimately the conversation was not going to end well. It got stopped at the point where it was no big deal.
Old 10-26-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know what happened to my PC, but all of a sudden any posts from Bust say something about this member being on my ignore list???

How did that happen?
Old 10-26-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You too, eh?

das
Old 10-26-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it doesn't work for mods though!!
Old 10-27-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know what happened to my PC, but all of a sudden any posts from Bust say something about this member being on my ignore list???

How did that happen?
Old 10-29-02, 05:35 PM
Banned

How did that happen?
That's funny, I could have sworn you replied to at least one so far today.

Scott tried that once too. Like they always say, "If you can't beat 'em, ignore 'em!"
Old 10-29-02, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Bushdog

Without being cute or vague, Bust was slowly building up criticisms of Soup...
Refresh my memory, was it just me?