Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Suggestion: Can DVDTalk.com implement an E*B*A*T*E*S type service?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see fatwallet has it now, i think it would be pretty cool

pretty much we shop through dvdtalk link and we get some percentage back, i think that would draw alot more traffic purchasing through dvdtalk

Last edited by habers; 10-17-02 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We get to post and have discussions, read reviews, etc ... that's what we get back. I think it's worth it.

I have no idea what the actual numbers are, but let's say DVDTalk gets 10% back from our purchases. Let's say ****** offer 5% of it back to its customers. DVDTalk would have to double its volume just to keep pace, and doing so would no doubt increase server load at very significant levels.

Maybe it could work, but it's a drastic change in business model.

das
Old 10-17-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
We get to post and have discussions, read reviews, etc ... that's what we get back. I think it's worth it.

I have no idea what the actual numbers are, but let's say DVDTalk gets 10% back from our purchases. Let's say ****** offer 5% of it back to its customers. DVDTalk would have to double its volume just to keep pace, and doing so would no doubt increase server load at very significant levels.

das
Dont get me wrong, I am very grateful for everything DVDTalk provides, Im just wondering it a system like that would work and still be profitable to DVDTalk. I try as much as I can to click on DVDTalk links when ordering DVDs online, but if there were something else I would get back Im sure I would click through everytime, as everyone else who uses DVDTalk. Also Im sure alot of people dont order through DVDTalk links because they want to order through ****** to get some money back, implementing a cashback through DVDtalk I think would draw more clickthroughs for DVDTalk and draw members away from ******

jon
Old 10-17-02, 10:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, we know what site you're trying to talk about. You don't have to keep mentioning them.
Old 10-17-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Static Cling •<HR SIZE=1>Okay, we know what site you're trying to talk about. You don't have to keep mentioning them. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forgive me. I didn't even know it was verboten until I returned to the thread and saw all the *s. If I'm going to get censored, I'd rather spend my efforts on ****s and ****s anyway.

das
Old 10-17-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How about a model where we buy DVD's straight from DVD Talk for about $120, then a few months later DVD Talk rebates us back $115 of it? That sounds like a plan that would work.
Old 10-18-02, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by renaldow
How about a model where we buy DVD's straight from DVD Talk for about $120, then a few months later DVD Talk rebates us back $115 of it? That sounds like a plan that would work.
Sounds like a great idea. then maybe after a while you increase the price to $1000 each maybe even higher

actually the idea about a fatcash type idea has merit.

Personally I would not bother since I am fine with Dvdtalk getting all of the fees however it might get those who do nothing to contribute so maybe it would work.
Old 10-18-02, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What if ****** through ***** the site in order to ***** which will mean, then, that *****, right?

I think that kickbacks would not be a good idea: think of all the services that dvdtalk provides for absolutely free: news, reviews, coupons, release dates, discussion boards... The only way we can pay for the service is by using the links above to make our purchases. The kickback you would be getting back, theoretically, is a few percent, like 3 or 4 dollars for each $100 order. Let the site keep that money to pay for the bandwidth that is used up by my being here.
Old 10-18-02, 11:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
DVDTalk already provides a M*A*S*T*E*R*B*A*T*E*S program for its members via the Mature forum.
Old 10-18-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
DVDTalk would have to double its volume just to keep pace, and doing so would no doubt increase server load at very significant levels.

But the idea of a rebate might entice more members here to use the affiliate links more because now they're actually getting something.

For example, I use the affiliate link here for about half of my purchases when I remember to do it. If there was a rebate involved, you can be pretty sure I would remember to use it more.
Old 10-18-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Movie_Man •<HR SIZE=1>But the idea of a rebate might entice more members here to use the affiliate links more because now they're actually getting something.

For example, I use the affiliate link here for about half of my purchases when I remember to do it. If there was a rebate involved, you can be pretty sure I would remember to use it more.
<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like I said, you'd have to double the volume just to keep pace with the fees. That ignores the additional server load that would be created. If everyone who used the links used them twice as much, then that would "double the volume." Now assume my estimates are off, and it's really 15% and 5% ... triple the volume.

I understand the concept ... I'm just saying it's a drastic change in business model.

das
Old 10-18-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why don't you just sign up for the affiliate programs yourself and then buy through your own links?
Old 10-19-02, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kilcher
Why don't you just sign up for the affiliate programs yourself and then buy through your own links?
Their goal is the support a site they use the resources of. They are trying to not be freeloaders, though some people may choose to do so.