Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Poll question/issue

Old 09-27-02, 11:43 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,998
Poll question/issue

I noticed that with polls, they don't bump up when someone just votes but doesn't post. Not sure if they should, or even if this should be fixed. It just seems odd; a poll could really interest people and be getting lots of votes and still be dropping like a rock on the board. Is "bumping polls" ok because of this?
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 09-27-02, 11:50 AM
  #2  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 8,205
Here's my opinion on this. How interesting is a poll if it is not generating any discussion? If a poll drops like a rock, it must not be interesting enough for people to discuss the issue. I don't feel that it's ok to bump polls.
AndyCapps is offline  
Old 09-27-02, 03:21 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,998
Originally posted by AndyCapps
Here's my opinion on this. How interesting is a poll if it is not generating any discussion? If a poll drops like a rock, it must not be interesting enough for people to discuss the issue. I don't feel that it's ok to bump polls.
Well, actually, some polls aren't intended to generate discussion, per se. But there's 2 ways to measure interest: additional posts, and people continuing to vote. For example, the Demographic poll I posted was dropping, but every time I checked it had more votes than the last time, quite a few more votes. It has over 50 votes, but not many replies, because it wasn't set up as a "reply" kind of poll. However, I think it is interesting to get results in it.

I don't think it's ok to bump polls that aren't even getting votes, but how many polls on Other get over 50 votes? Not a lot.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 09-27-02, 03:32 PM
  #4  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,739
Polls used to get bumped by just voting. They never left the front page that way and several at a time just drove other treads into obscurity.

The non-bump method was implemented as it was more acceptable. It does seem to have worked well. A poll with some discussion stays around, a poll that nobody is interested in enough to say anything disappears.
X is offline  
Old 09-27-02, 05:04 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,998
Originally posted by X
Polls used to get bumped by just voting. They never left the front page that way and several at a time just drove other treads into obscurity.

The non-bump method was implemented as it was more acceptable. It does seem to have worked well. A poll with some discussion stays around, a poll that nobody is interested in enough to say anything disappears.
But what about the odd poll that's getting votes but not discussion? As noted, mine wasn't the type to generate discussion, just votes. Bushdog's complaints about it aside, I think it could provide useful info about Other (and in fact, I think it already has), without generating discussion in its own right.

I did bump it once, but I don't want to get in trouble for doing so.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 09-27-02, 06:11 PM
  #6  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,739
That's a tough one. I personally don't mind an occasional bump. But if the thread/poll is truly not interesting to anyone I can see how it would get annoying for everyone to have to see it all the time.

I don't think we're going to be changing the vote-causes-a-bump behavior, maybe we should try a 2 or 3 bumps and then the thread lives or dies on its own (like every other thread that's not sticky) type of guideline.
X is offline  
Old 09-27-02, 06:25 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,998
Originally posted by X
That's a tough one. I personally don't mind an occasional bump. But if the thread/poll is truly not interesting to anyone I can see how it would get annoying for everyone to have to see it all the time.

I don't think we're going to be changing the vote-causes-a-bump behavior, maybe we should try a 2 or 3 bumps and then the thread lives or dies on its own (like every other thread that's not sticky) type of guideline.
That's cool; I just want to avoid trouble while trying to gather interesting info...
LurkerDan is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.