Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Requesting 4 new colors for the "poll results bars"

Old 09-09-02, 07:59 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,738
Requesting 4 new colors for the "poll results bars"

Hi Geoff, this is meant to be a very light-hearted (though still serious) request for 4 new color choices to be added to the poll results bars. Meaning, if you look at the voting results bars of any given poll (if the poll has the maximum-allowed 10 choices), you will see only 6 different colors (for the last 4 choices of the poll, 4 of the first 6 color choices are repeated). Maybe someday if there is a lull in your workload of maintaining this site, would it be possible to have 4 new and distinct colors added for a total of 10 different colors instead of 6? Perhaps, DVDTalkers can vote on the colors ala new M&M candy colors or new Crayola Crayon colors.

See the poll results in the current "Friendly Discussion: Kevin Costner" thread in Movie Talk for an example of what I am trying to say.

And yes.............I agree, I do have too much free time on my hands at the this particular moment.
flixtime is offline  
Old 09-12-02, 07:10 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,812
Er...seems like that would take up unnecessary time on some poor mod's part.
criptik28 is offline  
Old 09-12-02, 09:59 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,738
Originally posted by criptik28
Er...seems like that would take up unnecessary time on some poor mod's part.


Pssst!!!..............criptik28................yeah you............come closer.....................a little closer......that's it...........let you in on a little secret, didn't you know Santa's elves spend the "off-season" working for Geoff and catering to the whims of each and every DVDTalker.........I'll let you know where to sign up, don't tell anyone I told you.

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback criptik28 (it's safe to assume your feedback accurately represents the consensus of opininion of the subject), I just sort of thought it might be "fun" to let us vote on the new colors or something (even if just to see if DVDTalkers could actually agree on something (since our opinions/ideas are so varied)). I concede, my suggestion is frivolous but I just figured that I'd put it out there on the off-chance that Geoff and/or the Moderators ever got "bored" of the routine and just wanted something different to do as a time pass ( besides, have we yet truly ascertained that the Moderator's aren't idle millionaires with hordes of minions to do their bidding..........we should really double-check). Kidding aside.......yes, I know...Geoff and the Moderators surely have a thousand (if not more) other things they'd rather do if they ever got "bored".

In closing then, I suppose my suggestion should be banished to the DVD Talk Hall of Shame................ hmmm, a "DVD Talk"............"Hall of Shame"..................sounds interesting..............and there isn't one yet...................by George!!!!!!! I think I've got it........Eureka!!!!!.....and all that other good stuff.......................[preparing "sing-song" voice.......now ready]............Oh, Geoff.....

Last edited by flixtime; 09-12-02 at 10:13 AM.
flixtime is offline  
Old 09-13-02, 09:21 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 14,812
No, it's a good idea. It's just that Geoff, the admins and mods are incredibly busy...both with board-related stuff as well as their own personal/professional lives. Maybe one of them will respond to this thread, though.
criptik28 is offline  
Old 09-13-02, 04:02 PM
  #5  
Uber Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Overlooking Pearl Harbor
Posts: 16,232
Originally posted by criptik28
No, it's a good idea. It's just that Geoff, the admins and mods are incredibly busy...both with board-related stuff as well as their own personal/professional lives. Maybe one of them will respond to this thread, though.
Ok.

This is something Geoff really has to do as we only have so much control over the forum software...also, I'm not sure if this is something that can be easily modified or requires a vB hack. Given Geoff's schedule, and depending on how involved such a change would be, it's probably not going to be high on his very long "to do" list.

Personally, I don't see any harm in implementing the idea, but I also don't think the current configuration is that problematic either.
Blade is offline  
Old 09-14-02, 10:49 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,738
Originally posted by Blade
Ok.

This is something Geoff really has to do as we only have so much control over the forum software...also, I'm not sure if this is something that can be easily modified or requires a vB hack. Given Geoff's schedule, and depending on how involved such a change would be, it's probably not going to be high on his very long "to do" list.

Personally, I don't see any harm in implementing the idea, but I also don't think the current configuration is that problematic either.
Blade, I thank you kindly for the response (criptik28, thanks for giving 'em a bit of a nudge ). Blade, as you stated, the current configuration is certainly not problematic; it was just more of an "airbrushing the Centerfold" type of request on my part. Given your explanation of the time-consuming/technically-involved nature of implementing the idea, I concur that it is not worth addressing at this time.
flixtime is offline  
Old 09-14-02, 01:24 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Get in line! We've got some people in the other forum who have been waiting for the Mars bars to be restocked in the vending machine for quite some time now!!
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 09-14-02, 02:19 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,738
Originally posted by DTSC
Get in line! We've got some people in the other forum who have been waiting for the Mars bars to be restocked in the vending machine for quite some time now!!
Okay, okay..........on one condition - I'd like to request some M&M's too.......maybe then I could remedy my "voting for new colors" fixation.

Way off-topic now but I'm curious, the M&M candy new color voting is long-over now, isn't it? Which color won?
flixtime is offline  
Old 09-16-02, 03:55 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mt. Olympus
Posts: 11,818
Personally, I'd like to see a doo doo brown and a urine yellow.

[Looks at underwear]

Oh wait. Nevermind.

immortal_zeus is offline  
Old 09-16-02, 04:52 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,738
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Personally, I'd like to see a doo doo brown and a urine yellow.

[Looks at underwear]

Oh wait. Nevermind.



........on that note and, more importantly, before we get in trouble, perhaps we should now let this thread simply fade away to nothing but a fond memory. I'm certainly left speechless by the images conjured in my imagination.
flixtime is offline  
Old 09-17-02, 05:31 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: On the penis chair
Posts: 5,169
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Personally, I'd like to see a doo doo brown and a urine yellow.

[Looks at underwear]

Oh wait. Nevermind.


eedoon is offline  
Old 09-18-02, 01:59 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In a place without the cursed couch
Posts: 20,590
How often does a poll actually go over 6 choices though?
Thunderball is offline  
Old 09-18-02, 12:55 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,757
Originally posted by flixtime
Way off-topic now but I'm curious, the M&M candy new color voting is long-over now, isn't it? Which color won?
Purple
Dimension X is offline  
Old 09-19-02, 06:56 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,738
Hey Dimension X! Surprised to see you here - pleasantly so, of course! Thanks for popping in! Thanks for the info. on the M&M's, it looks like the voting ended more recently than I thought. I had a little trouble with the link, so here is another for those who also might have had some difficulty with the first:

Purple, Pink, Aqua M&M

Dimension X, you should contact M&M/Mars about getting a sales commission because I'll make sure to buy a bag of M&M's today just to check out the new color. I'm glad "purple" won, the other two choices were pink and aqua. Hey do you think Womens Rights Activist Groups are going to protest that "pink" wasn't allowed in (since the color "blue" was introduced into the mix a few years ago)?

Originally posted by Thunderball
How often does a poll actually go over 6 choices though?
Not very often for the overwhelming majority of DVDTalkers, I must concede. But..............then there's me, earlier this week I was going to do a "vote on your favorite classic western" poll but I couldn't quite narrow my list down to only 10 choices:

--I had 15 films I wanted to include (but only 10 poll options)
--Okay, cut "Stagecoach", down to 14
--Combine Eastwood's 3 sphagetti Westerns to 1 choice, down to 12
--Now it gets difficult
--What to do with The Searchers and Red River, they both have to be on there, cut Red River, no can't do that, combine them as 1, maybe, but that didn't go over too well in my "Costner" thread, okay I'll come back to it
--Next and a similar problem, what to do with The Outlaw Josey Wales, combine with Unforgiven, nah, eliminate it, can't bring myself to do that, okay I'll come back to it
--Back to The Searchers and Red River, still no satisfactory answer, I sure wish we were allowed more than 10 poll options {followed quickly by "lightbulbs" firing up in my mind}
--Maybe I should suggest it, {"noose", "fire", "effigy", "flixtime" all pop into my head..........hmmmmmmm?} nah, better not, the "add more colors" thing already flopped. Chalk it up to: discretion is indeed the better part of valor? Yeah, that's the ticket.
--Oh well procrastination wins again, maybe I'll just re-visit the "favorite classic Western" thread idea sometime down the road (Note to self: better do a search to make sure it hasn't already been done).

For those still reading, the original 15 films were:
Shane
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
High Noon
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Magnificent Seven
Dances with Wolves
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Red River
The Searchers
Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Stagecoach

By the way, DVDTalker eedoon, very nice use of "smilies" in your post to this thread, I especially like the last two.
flixtime is offline  
Old 09-19-02, 07:18 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Dimension X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The unknown world of the future
Posts: 4,757
Originally posted by flixtime
Hey Dimension X! Surprised to see you here - pleasantly so, of course! Thanks for popping in! Thanks for the info. on the M&M's, it looks like the voting ended more recently than I thought. I had a little trouble with the link, so here is another for those who also might have had some difficulty with the first:

Purple, Pink, Aqua M&M

Dimension X, you should contact M&M/Mars about getting a sales commission because I'll make sure to buy a bag of M&M's today just to check out the new color. I'm glad "purple" won, the other two choices were pink and aqua. Hey do you think Womens Rights Activist Groups are going to protest that "pink" wasn't allowed in (since the color "blue" was introduced into the mix a few years ago)?
The link works for me.

I knew the winning color because I saw a display by the register at a C-store when I bought gas Tuesday night. I had to buy a pack and take a chance to win 100 MILLION Japanese Yen.

For those still reading, the original 15 films were:
Shane
The Wild Bunch
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
High Noon
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Magnificent Seven
Dances with Wolves
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Red River
The Searchers
Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Stagecoach
Nice list.
Dimension X is offline  
Old 09-21-02, 07:22 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,738
Originally posted by Dimension X
The link works for me.

I knew the winning color because I saw a display by the register at a C-store when I bought gas Tuesday night. I had to buy a pack and take a chance to win 100 MILLION Japanese Yen.
Yeah, your initial link seems to work fine now; don't know what happened the other day. Boy, I really need to find a high-traffic location because the couple of places I've checked don't yet have the new stock of M&Ms. Some of the candy bags still reference the voting going on and some are even older than that making no reference to the voting. I showed a total lack of willpower and ended up buying one of the bags which indicated the voting was still going on and which promised 1 of the 3 potential new colors in the bag. I ended up getting "aqua". Glad they picked purple instead. I'll keep an eye out for the new inventory as I wouldn't mind taking home 100 Million Japanese Yen (approx. $800,000.00 U.S. dollars for those who are interested). Oh yeah, I'm a little out-of-touch with candy prices (better for my waistline that way), so when I handed the individual-size Peanut M&Ms bag to the cashier I started to dig in my pocket for 2 Quarters and then the cashier says it costs 69 cents .

Originally posted by Dimension X
Nice list.
Thanks!
flixtime is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.