Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Wrestling threads in SportsTalk

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could we get a clear ruling on this from the big man. Quite a large discussion has errupted in SportsTalk over this.

My understanding is that SportsTalk is the place where wrestling threads should go. Others think that they should not be in that forum since pro wrestling is not a sport. And others argue that their should not be many wrestling threads since it is not a sport.

I don't understand the argument. If that is where the threads are to go then I would think that as many wrestling threads could be posted as baseball threads, given the topic of each is different.

Thoughts?
Old 07-07-02, 09:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I believe that wrestling should go in Sports Talk. It's simply the closest match for the subject. But then I also think that discussions about Yoko Ono's recordings belong in Music Talk.
Old 07-07-02, 11:39 PM
Retired

I say they should go in Sports talk as well, even though I wouldn't call wrestling a sport. It is more of a form of atheletic entertaiment per se.

Still, sports talk is the closest fit.

I mean I consider things like golf to not be sports as well (see the "What do you consider a sport?" thead.) but that is clearly the place to discuss golf.
Old 07-08-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
How about cow tipping threads???

Cow tipping is just as much a sport as golf, professional wrestling, and tiddlywinks!!
Old 07-08-02, 12:50 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by JustinS
How about cow tipping threads???
If it's legal, organized, requires special ability and has fans the Sports Forum sounds good to me.
Old 07-08-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to know as well.

If you wish to confine all the wrestling threads into one sticky, or what not, then you should do the same with the NHL, MLB, etc. Just my .02
Old 07-08-02, 07:10 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderball
If you wish to confine all the wrestling threads into one sticky, or what not, then you should do the same with the NHL, MLB, etc. Just my .02
Yep, we could start a bunch of One and Only threads and move them all back to Other since one of the points of having a Sports Talk forum was to allow more free flowing discussion not confined to a single thread. I don't see a problem with how things are now. There have been some instances(like with the Austin domestic abuse situation) where multiple threads have been combined or closed. If there gets to be too many threads on one sport and it becomes a problem(something I don't believe will happen), we will say something about it.
Old 07-08-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
I believe that wrestling should go in Sports Talk. It's simply the closest match for the subject. But then I also think that discussions about Yoko Ono's recordings belong in Music Talk.
Old 07-08-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yay ... the wrestling-haters are wild again. As <B>X</B> said, it's by far the closest match and is likely closer to being a sport than many of the things we discuss in that forum. "Sports" is both a term representing a specific form of athletic event involving direct competition between opponents and a general term that can encompass all forms of athletic competition. Pro wrestling is most certainly athletic, and it is very competitive. Its scripted nature does not make it any less on-topic than indirect competitive events like Golf or judged events like Figure Skating or timed events like Cycling. Each falls into a different sub-category of athletic spectacle and contains enough cross-over elements to warrant discussion in a Sports Forum.

das
Old 07-08-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Move it to TV talk.
Old 07-08-02, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CharlesC
Move it to TV talk.
Old 07-08-02, 09:29 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Move it to TV talk.
Should we move boxing there as well? What about if someone wants to discuss an untelevised professional wrestling event(house show, NWA event, etc.)? What then?

If wrestling threads get moved out of Sports Talk, they'd more than likely get kicked back to Other.
Old 07-08-02, 09:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Move it to TV talk.
I disagree as well. Just because something is televised doesn't mean it should be in TV Talk.

Any other ideas as to where it would go, if it doesn't fit in Sports Talk? I think it fits there just fine.
Old 07-08-02, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally posted by AndyCapps

Should we move boxing there as well? What about if someone wants to discuss an untelevised professional wrestling event(house show, NWA event, etc.)? What then?

If wrestling threads get moved out of Sports Talk, they'd more than likely get kicked back to Other.
and don't forget SmallBall, would have to move that to "Video Games" forum...
Old 07-08-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Move it to TV talk.
Ok

That's fine with me,

Hey Mods, all the games are played on TV, could you please move all the threads in this forum that have ANYTHING to do with TV over there? Thanks!
Old 07-08-02, 11:26 PM
Retired

No way does wrestling belong in TV Talk.

Leave it in sports.

I don't like wrestling either, but I don't complain about the threads. You know what I do? I skim over them, it's a simple concept. It's not like the forum is half wrestling threads.

There's always a good variety of threads in there. Read the ones that interest you, ignore the others.
Old 07-09-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not going to get in a big debate or anything about this(mostly because I don't care all that much and I don't think my thoughts will sway anyone who does care), but let me provide support for my opinion.

When I open the sports page or sports illustrated or turn on ESPN, I don't expect to see wrestling news, commentary, or other discussion there. If I were to look for that type of information I would look in the 'Entertainment' section of the paper, Entertainment Weekly magazine or Extra/Entertainment Tonight (or maybe Soap Opera Digest ). I think the closest thing to those that we have here on DVDTalk is the TV Talk forum.
Old 07-09-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I open the sports page or sports illustrated or turn on ESPN, I don't expect to see wrestling news, commentary, or other discussion there. If I were to look for that type of information I would look in the 'Entertainment' section of the paper, Entertainment Weekly magazine or Extra/Entertainment Tonight (or maybe Soap Opera Digest ). I think the closest thing to those that we have here on DVDTalk is the TV Talk forum.
That's an interesting point, but I don't think it completely meshes. You're not going to find wrestling news in the Entertainment section either (except ratings analysis, which happens with all televised events, including sports). Wrestling is just the bastard of the entertainment industry, and like pr0n, no one's going to report on it unless someone dies or gets sued. But keep in mind that sports are also part of the entertainment industry. As has been said already, it really doesn't "fit" anywhere. But I believe it compares more closely with sports than general TV, and there is a much larger cross-over between sports and wrestling than any other combination. The athleticism and physical skill required make it a much closer match. In practice, wrestling's not that far from heavyweight boxing or figure skating.

But, like you, it really doesn't matter to me. I read both forums, and I have enough sense to just not read wrestling threads instead of bitching about them.

das
Old 07-09-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
The athleticism and physical skill required make it a much closer match.
I agree the athleticism and physical skill required for sitting on you ass watching football is about the same as for sitting on your ass watching wrestling.
Old 07-10-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree the athleticism and physical skill required for sitting on you ass watching football is about the same as for sitting on your ass watching wrestling.

You've never seen me watch college football on Saturdays. You've got to train for that kind of intesity.

das
Old 07-10-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
move it to the book forum

actually.. i thought we already had a clear ruling that wrestling threads go in the sports forum
the debate that had erupted, wasnt over where the threads should go.. it was just a debate over where wrestling is a sport.
Old 07-10-02, 11:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by twikoff
actually.. i thought we already had a clear ruling that wrestling threads go in the sports forum

I guess it depends on what you consider a "clear ruling" on the subject. Andy Capps and I, two of the three mods for the Sports Forum, have made it clear from the beginning that Wrestling would be included in the forum. I don't know if Geoff has ever commented on it or not.
Old 07-12-02, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
so does that mean even curling belongs in the sports forum? the horror.. the horror.

wrestling in the sports forum makes perfect scene to me.
Old 07-12-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by X
If it's legal, organized, requires special ability and has fans the Sports Forum sounds good to me.
Like "Cow Chip" throwing.
Old 07-15-02, 01:28 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Wrestling threads belong in the Sports forum, simple as that

anyone disagrees, Shooting star press following by a Van Terminator !

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.