Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Defender Virus Scanner? How did I get this?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today as I was browsing DVD Talk, this prompt came up directing me to scan my computer for viruses. (Whether or not this has anything to do with DVD Talk, I have no idea, but I'm just saying that that's the first time it came up) I closed the prompt because a) I don't need another virus scanner, and b) I had never heard of Defender Virus Scanner before. So, about 5 minutes later, the prompt comes up again and it begins to scan my hard drive. I cancelled it and removed the scanner from my computer. About an hour later, somehow it was back on my computer and it began scanning again. Just now, I looked at the license (which I never read because I never did agree to anything) and I noticed that it said "You may cancel billing for the Service at any time by calling Provider's customer service number (which is 360-697-9260 as of the date of this Agreement) or by contacting Provider by any of the means outlined in item 5(j) above. We reserve the right to keep payments made for previous months of Service, up to and including the month of cancellation." What the hell??? I have no idea where this scanner came from. Has it happened to anybody else?
Old 04-25-02, 12:24 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
The phone number goes to eAcceleration Corp (www.webcelerator.com). One of their pages pops up a bogus looking screen saying "Your system could be infected! Click 'Start Scan' to begin your virus scan."

Another page that pops up says "Install Webcelerator and unlock the door to lots of cool free stuff." and has a bunch of links to crap on it.

Maybe you could do what they say "Webcelerator is supported by a full-time support staff. If you have any difficulty with Webcelerator, please check our FAQ page, use our contact form, or call (360) 697-9260, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time." from a pay phone collect and see what they have to say about it.

Or better yet...

Acceleration Software International Corp.
1223 Finn Hill Rd.
Poulsbo, WA

Phone: 360-697-9260
Fax: 360-598-2450
Toll Free: 800-754-1204
Old 04-25-02, 12:38 AM
Registered

PLEASE RUN Adaware:

http://www.majorgeek.com/index2.html

You may have spywear on your system from another program you may have downloaded
Old 04-25-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks!