Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

It might be time to end the Movie Association threads

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-02, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really seems that the Movie Association threads in the Otter Farm have become a new way to pad. It seems to me that there is constant mention of using IMDB. I believe the idea for the threads is a good one, which can really make you use your brain and test your movie knowledge, but if you are using an outside source, then isn't it just padding. I like participating in those threads, but I do understand that padding your post count is discouraged.
Old 04-05-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: It might be time to end the Movie Association threads

Originally posted by Anthony Soprano
I believe the idea for the threads is a good one, which can really make you use your brain and test your movie knowledge.
thanks!

when I started up the first movie association thread, forever ago.. i never figured it would have 51+ parts -eeks- and I was really surprised to see it still around after the other association threads were killed.
Old 04-05-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. This was a good idea in it's original form, but seems like clutter now.
Old 04-05-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If people enjoy it, then it should stick around, IMO. Hell, if it's a padding concern, maybe mods can simply delete the thread when it's full and make it clear that that's what is going to happen. That way, only those who really like to play the game will participate.
Old 04-05-02, 11:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Boot
If people enjoy it, then it should stick around, IMO. Hell, if it's a padding concern, maybe mods can simply delete the thread when it's full and make it clear that that's what is going to happen. That way, only those who really like to play the game will participate.
We must be on the same wavelength today. This is pretty close to what we came up with earlier today.

Here's the new "One and Only" thread
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=197826
Old 04-06-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy, I have a suggestion, they should wait after 5 turns before they can answer it. So that way they can't be padding it. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-06-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why are those threads even allowed in the other? they are clearly about movies. why are they not in Movie Talk? seems pretty cut and dry to me they are in the wrong place.
Old 04-06-02, 12:49 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by McHawkson
Andy, I have a suggestion, they should wait after 5 turns before they can answer it. So that way they can't be padding it. Just a suggestion.
That is a good suggestion, but something tough for us to keep track of. We'll see how this new way goes, it guarantees there will be no padding.
Old 04-06-02, 01:06 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by broadwayblue
why are those threads even allowed in the other? they are clearly about movies. why are they not in Movie Talk? seems pretty cut and dry to me they are in the wrong place.
I just did a quick scan of the 320 most recent posts in Movie Talk. Only three of them come close to the size that each one of the Movie Association threads reach(two about the Oscars as the event happened and the 2001 rank them as you see them thread).

Since there is no discussion in these threads, only the listing of either a name of a movie or a name of an actor, I would suspect that it would either be closed or moved back to Other if I moved it to Movie Talk. It's a time waster, a game rather than a discussion. Although I don't have a problem with moving it there to test my theory.

I will check with the Movie Talk moderators to make sure they see it the same way I do.
Old 04-06-02, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
*Troy hands Geoff a pistol*

You know what to do.
Old 04-06-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by AndyCapps

I just did a quick scan of the 320 most recent posts in Movie Talk. Only three of them come close to the size that each one of the Movie Association threads reach(two about the Oscars as the event happened and the 2001 rank them as you see them thread).

Since there is no discussion in these threads, only the listing of either a name of a movie or a name of an actor, I would suspect that it would either be closed or moved back to Other if I moved it to Movie Talk. It's a time waster, a game rather than a discussion. Although I don't have a problem with moving it there to test my theory.

I will check with the Movie Talk moderators to make sure they see it the same way I do.
ok. but even if it's a time waster it's still about movies. either way i won't cry about it...although i personally find it annoying to always have these threads hovering at the top of the other when those who partake in this game could easily go to the movie forum to play. i'm pretty sure if i started a game about music artists or songs it would be quickly relocated to the music talk forum.
Old 04-06-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ok. but even if it's a time waster it's still about movies. either way i won't cry about it...although i personally find it annoying to always have these threads hovering at the top of the other when those who partake in this game could easily go to the movie forum to play. i'm pretty sure if i started a game about music artists or songs it would be quickly relocated to the music talk forum.
So basically what you're asking is that the thread be moved to a forum that you don't read?
Old 04-06-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: It might be time to end the Movie Association threads

Originally posted by twikoff

thanks!

when I started up the first movie association thread, forever ago.. i never figured it would have 51+ parts -eeks- and I was really surprised to see it still around after the other association threads were killed.
Buddy, *I* started up the First one under these numbers...you definitely did not! I know they had been done in the past, but I was the one who did #1 of these 52. That's the fact, jack!
Old 04-07-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Aghama

So basically what you're asking is that the thread be moved to a forum that you don't read?
whether or not i frequent that forum is besides the point. if and when i visit the movie talk forum i would understand seeing the movie association threads at the top of the page...but to me there's no logical explanation for having them in the other when they are clearly threads about movies. hey, i'm all for fun and games...but i just think that if people want to play movie related games they should play them in the movie forum.

Last edited by broadwayblue; 04-07-02 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-07-02, 12:40 AM
Moderator Emeritus

It's a "game", not a discussion. A game fits in Other, a discussion would fit in Movie Talk. The only difference between it and a word association thread is that it's restricted to movies and provides some challenge. Other is where we have decided it should be.

It seems that you won't have to worry about it hovering around the top of Other anymore. I created it just over a day ago. So far it's only had 21 replies, and it's near the bottom of the 2nd page of Other. At the rate it was going without the new rule, there would have been more than 300 replies by now.
Old 04-07-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AndyCapps
It seems that you won't have to worry about it hovering around the top of Other anymore. I created it just over a day ago. So far it's only had 21 replies, and it's near the bottom of the 2nd page of Other. At the rate it was going without the new rule, there would have been more than 300 replies by now.
Yup, and the game isn't as much fun when it's just you playing with yourself.