Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Geoff, why was my orignal post in the wrong place?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think X was off base in moving this to DVD and Home Theater hardware. This item had nothing to do with it. I do not feel it was inapporporiate to ask people in other their opinion.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...29#post1779829
Old 12-01-01, 04:39 PM

If I were still a mod I would have written something similar to X's reply in that thread. Your asking for opinions on a micro stereo and I agree with X that it belongs in the Hardware forum. True it isn't literally listed in the description of that forum but I think it fits better there than in any other forum.
Old 12-01-01, 05:02 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
matchpenalty, I responded in that thread so you know where I'm coming from about the move.
Old 12-01-01, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
matchpenalty, I responded in that thread so you know where I'm coming from about the move.
I have responded likewise and still feel your comment was not appropriate. I don't appreciate being treated like a spoiled rotten kid who is out of control.
Old 12-01-01, 05:21 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by matchpenalty

I have responded likewise and still feel your comment was not appropriate. I don't appreciate being treated like a spoiled rotten kid who is out of control.
What comment?
Old 12-01-01, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

posted by X:

My opinion is you should know by now where this kind of thread belongs.

That tone is like a parent scolding a kid.
Old 12-01-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by codefree
If I were still a mod I would have written something similar to X's reply in that thread. Your asking for opinions on a micro stereo and I agree with X that it belongs in the Hardware forum. True it isn't literally listed in the description of that forum but I think it fits better there than in any other forum.
no , I was asking for peoples opinions on the style of it..
Old 12-01-01, 05:41 PM

no , I was asking for peoples opinions on the style of it..
Yes that's what I said, your asking for opinions on a micro stereo.
Old 12-01-01, 05:43 PM
X
Administrator

That tone is like a parent scolding a kid.
I'm sorry. Rather than a scolding, I was trying to ask you to post in the correct forum in the future and I was being a smart alec at the same time. Since we've never had any interaction I judged your sensitivities completely wrong. And I now understand you did not know where it belonged and I apologize for assuming you did.

You really don't know how many people post something in Other that belongs in another forum just to get faster responses. I believed your thread was about Home Theater since you were asking for opinions about the unit and its pricing. Forgive me if you were only concerned with the way it looked. Perhaps you can try to look at the way your post could be perceived too.
Old 12-01-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I posted a thread in the Other forum a couple days ago that was, let's say, borderline for that particular forum. I was asking for help on HTML in my signature and it could be argued that it belonged in the Computer forum. X and I exchanged an e-mail about it in which I explained that I felt I was posting in the spirit of the Other forum and the camaraderie found there. Also, part of the problem was I said something to the effect of “I think I can get a faster response here.” I’ve been thinking about it now and again as I see other threads moved.

The one thing I keep coming back to is the unique community found in the Other forum. People are so familiar with each other there, it’s almost second nature to just ask a question, regardless of what it may be about. But you don’t want to put it in an e-mail to just one or two people. On any given day a member can go back and forth with 20, 30, 40 or more people. Do that for a long enough time and a member could probably justify posting a question like “Did you really think the documentary on Element Of Crime CC is that good?” because the Others are your friends and you almost surely will get a broader and more varied response.

I understand the need and design of the various forums at DVD Talk. And I don’t mean to say that the rules can or should be broken for certain members. But there has to be a middle ground. If we, the posting members, can take an extra minute and word our threads in such a way as to tailor them for the forum we’re posting in, maybe they can stay. And maybe instead of moving a particular thread the moment it’s seen and deem inappropriate, the moderators can monitor it for a short time to see what kind of response it’s receiving. Chances are, if it’s posted in the Other forum, it’ll run it’s course and drop off the radar in a couple hours anyway.

I don’t mean to be counter productive here. It’s just some thoughts I’ve been kicking around.
Old 12-01-01, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by X
I'm sorry. Rather than a scolding, I was trying to ask you to post in the correct forum in the future and I was being a smart alec at the same time. Since we've never had any interaction I judged your sensitivities completely wrong. And I now understand you did not know where it belonged and I apologize for assuming you did.

You really don't know how many people post something in Other that belongs in another forum just to get faster responses. I believed your thread was about Home Theater since you were asking for opinions about the unit and its pricing. Forgive me if you were only concerned with the way it looked. Perhaps you can try to look at the way your post could be perceived too.
X,

I appreciate the apology. I was just disturbed by the tone of the initial response and then the second response after I explained myself.

I do know how many posts are in other that really shouldn't be there. I spend a lot of time there. I do know and understand how difficult it is to be a moderator.

Geoff and the rest of you ask us to be sensitive towards others in how we respond. I am very familiar with what the caustic nature of the DVD Bargains forum used to be and therefore am even more sensitive to how every member responds to another. Most of my first 2K of posts were there. It's easy to make quick judgements thinking they are correct only to find out they may not have been. We all make mistakes.

Now, I have since gone to the store and need to make a decision between 2 items for my wife and I need opinions of the ladies. I am going to post pics and ask their final opinions..

Last edited by matchpenalty; 12-01-01 at 07:14 PM.