Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

What exactly are the rules on hijacking a thread?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I know it's generally "frowned upon" (especially outside of the Other Forum), but are there guidelines?

The reason why I ask is that it seems like I've been cautioned the past week more than once (in Other and in DVD Bargains) and I'd like to avoid a possible scenario where I would get suspended or even <b>[BANNED]</b>.

However, I see threads being constantly hijacked and it doesn't seem like those people are cautioned. I'm not saying that I'm being singled out, but I'd be more comfortable with some general guidelines instead of a being subjected to the discretion of individual Administrators since it seems like some Administrators are more flexible than others.

Old 11-19-01, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think the rule is its okay for me to do it, but not you
Old 11-19-01, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so, what flavor milkshakes do you like?
Old 11-19-01, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it is the context within the thread you are posting in. For example if you are posting in a thread that is having a discussion and you start the thread moving away from the topic with off topic comments i would think you will get a warning. This is especially a problem outside of other where people tend to post like they are in the other forum and it will pull the thread in a negative way away from the topic at hand.

In other I think a few threads are meant by the starter to be about a specific topic then a few people come in and take away with a hijack they will likely get a warning or even worse.

look at the context of your posts if it seems to be unfair I would email the mod and see why they felt it was necessary. Maybe they had seen two or three other posts outside of other and that is why they were quicker to react to you in other.

by the way my favorite milkshake is Vanilla

Last edited by gcribbs; 11-19-01 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-19-01, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What exactly are the rules on hijacking a thread?

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
but I'd be more comfortable with some general guidelines instead of a being subjected to the discretion of individual Administrators since it seems like some Administrators are more flexible than others.
"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." -Dread Pirate Roberts

We have a new rule that was created in response to a situation. Quite a gray area that is being implemented as each mod or admin sees fit, depending on their own perception and biases and what they ate for breakfast that day. I don' t think you are going to see a uniform response to this.

gcribbs' point is a good one. I would look much harsher on someone changing the point of a thread that is serious or technical, than someone playing in a thread that was non-sensical to start out with.
Old 11-19-01, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think if you change it within its ok otherwise it's bad. By this thread starts with say the quality of the sound in EP1 and couple add a little, but include comments about menu options and thread moves that way.

Chocolate swirl is the best milkshake!
Old 11-19-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I understood what you meant "gonads and strife"

I agree it is totally cool for a thread to morph and change. That is normal. Perhaps a better definition for thread hijacking is a good point.
Old 11-19-01, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
The way I look at it is this:

Threads tend to wander. They should wander within the confines of subjects at least peripherally related to the original topic. If someone attempts, intentionally or inadvertantly, to completely change the subject, that is hijacking.

For example, Venusian's comments about milkshakes would be considered hijacking and I will be banning him shortly.*

<small>*OK, I won't, but only because a hearty breakfast. </small>
Old 11-19-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JustinS

For example, Venusian's comments about milkshakes would be considered hijacking and I will be banning him shortly.*
<small>*OK, I won't, but only because a hearty breakfast. </small>
see, as i pointed out, I'm allowed to thread-jack
Old 11-20-01, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think wandering isn't a hijack where "Hey how was work today" to a member in the thread is.

Old 11-20-01, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i think stories about "jack off today" are a hijack

actually i thought it was pretty funny