Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Canada considered domestic or international?

Old 09-25-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Canada considered domestic or international?

Hey Geoff (and mods),

Just went to check the DVD Bargains page and noticed that two of the three available Canadian-based bargains had been moved to the international forum.

This on-again, off-again policy of Canadian deals being considered International, is it on again? I have seen threads moved in the past, but in the past year there has been a more North American community feel to the DVD Bargains forum.

With the number of replies from Americans, especially those who might day-trip across the border to stock up on Canadian deals, I have always placed my posts in the regular bargains forum, assuming that nobody really looks at the international forum unless they have Asian or European interests.

Can I get word from on-high about where Canadian deals stand with regard to the Bargain forum? It will save both myself and the mods time in creating and moving threads placed in the wrong area.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-01, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I never check the international forum, and as I can get into canada in under 30 minutes depending on traffic (probably a little longer with the increased security) I'd like to see canadian bargains in the regular bargain forums
Old 09-26-01, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think if it's R1, it should be in Bargains not in International.

Last edited by eXcentris; 09-26-01 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-26-01, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mikehunt
I never check the international forum, and as I can get into canada in under 30 minutes depending on traffic (probably a little longer with the increased security) I'd like to see canadian bargains in the regular bargain forums
We let you in?
Old 09-26-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
yeah, I usually get hassled more by the american customs people

Originally posted by eXcentris

We let you in?
Old 09-26-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by eXcentris
I think if it's R1, it should be in Bargains not in International.
Makes sense. Case closed.
Old 09-30-01, 05:29 AM
Mod Emeritus

So should a R1 question about a Canadian store be in the Stores Forum?

Someone was asking in International and I have to say that as of now I just don't know!
Old 10-01-01, 02:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

And the closure of a Canadian B&M?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=140110

Region 1 is Canada, US, US Possessions.

An official view on this would be welcome as, I expect, would feedback from <i>anyone</i> with any kind of an axe to grind!
Old 10-02-01, 06:46 PM

If you begin with the premis that DVDTalk was created solely for the US market and its target audience is Americans then I would have to say that Canada would indeed fall in the International category. But if you are of the view that DVDTalk is global...after all, the Internet is global and no one country owns it... then we have another problem. The international forum would have to be dissolved because no place would be considered international. Since most of the visitors to this site are from region 1 then The International Forum would more aptly be called The Non-Region 1 Forum and in that case Canada would be considered domestic to region 1.
Old 10-03-01, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the logic of creating the International forum in the first place was to prevent the other forums from being cluttered with information about DVDs from other regions or in PAL format. Since a huge percentage of DVDTalker's don't care about these releases and can't play them on their equipment, it made sense to move them into a different forum.

We should be looking at this from a DVD perspective, not a geographical perspective. Canada may have a different governing body as a county, but it is still Region 1 as far as DVD is concerned. Everyone here can play these titles on their machines, so I don't see any reason to banish them to a specialized forum that few people read.

In my opinion, Region 1 titles do not belong in the International forum.
Old 10-09-01, 04:41 PM

The concesus in this thread seems to be that R1 is domestic, even if it's in Canada.
Could we get an official statement on this?
Another thread, http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=149017 , was moved recently, should it really be there?