Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

What Type of New Forum would you Most like to see ?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.
View Poll Results: What Type of New Forum would you Most like to see ?
Sports Forum
21.15%
Music Forum
42.31%
Serious Debate Forum
15.38%
Mature Forum
13.46%
Political Forum
1.92%
Other
5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-01, 11:20 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 08-28-01, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
isn't it weird the person who posts never votes? i picked sports cuz i remember back when those laker threads were so annoying. not political/serious cuz you gotta leave those for the Other.
Old 08-29-01, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't mind a Music forum but it's really not necessary unless it was DVD-Audio oriented. Also, we sure as heck don't need a Mature forum as there's already AdultDVDTalk for that.
Old 08-29-01, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that music talk would be great. There are so many new music dvds that keep coming out that I'd love to hear more about.
Old 08-29-01, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
We don't need any more forums.
Old 08-29-01, 11:22 AM
Retired

Music all the way. Music is home theater oriented, as most people listen to music on their home theaters, so it would be an on-topic forum. Make it DVD-Audio and Music Talk, like Geoff said he was planning on, and it is even more appropriate.

As much as I'd like to see some of the other areas, they are just too off topic. The only true off topic forum we have now is Book Talk, and that got put up because it was something Geoff had personal interest in. The others are all DVD, Home theater, or shopping related. Before anyone asks, video games are home theater related as they are played on home theaters.
Old 08-29-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, we have a "Book Talk" a "Video Game Talk" and a "TV Talk"... might as well have a "Music Talk" forum.

Music would fall in line with HT and would fit better on a DVD site than say "Book Talk".

Of course on the other hand one could say "DVD" Talk needs another forum like we all need another hole in the head.

I used to think we needed a "VCD Talk" forum because there is a good interest out there... even if it wasn't included in this poll, but, there is http://www.vcdhelp.com for that and they more than adequately cover the topic of VCD.
Old 08-29-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think we really need a new forum. Things are good the way they are....
Old 08-29-01, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think we have a good balance right now. All the topics you list above fit well in Other.
Old 08-29-01, 04:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Mature forum. That way those of at work don't stumble into those threads by mistake, and those of us at home dont' have to search around for pics.
Old 08-29-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Sports Forum

ummmm.. isnt there already a adult forum, at adultdvdtalk?
Old 08-29-01, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally posted by Bushdog

JustinS is my favorite poster
In keeping with our recent exchanges...

No I'm not and I challenge you to prove otherwise!
Old 08-29-01, 07:35 PM

I think we could drop either movie talk or all about movies and just keep one of them since they are basically the same thing and then add a music forum.
Old 08-29-01, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JustinS
In keeping with our recent exchanges...

No I'm not and I challenge you to prove otherwise!
Good man.

You get my vote the next time we have to decide on new other forum mods.
Old 08-29-01, 10:00 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well of the forums above, a music forum would best fit dvdtalk in a financial way. I am sure Geoff could always use more affiliated money from music sales, and a forum that focuses on music would encourage more of those sales to go through dvdtalk. Right now when someone brings up a good band, I might go out and buy it, not thinking of dvdtalk. If a forum was set up to do this, and Geoff could focus affiliated links in that forum to music, it would only help dvdtalk. It makes music fans happy, it makes dvdtalk money, and if you don’t like it you can always choose not to click on it.
Old 08-29-01, 10:08 PM
Retired

Originally posted by foxdvd
...and if you don’t like it you can always choose not to click on it.
That's why I've never understood why people bitch when Geoff adds forums. Some whine and say it takes more time to read multiple forums. That's bullcrap. It takes more time to wade through one big cluttered, unorganized mess of a forum that it does to skim through a few specific ones. It also makes it easier to avoid threads that don't interest you. The only people benefited by having music, video games, etc. clumped in Other are the ones with nothing better to do than spend hours everyday skimming through Other, and that is a small percentage of the thousands of DVD Talk members. Your ideas about music affiliate links is a great point too, maybe that will get Geoff on the ball. After all it's been a few months since he said the "DVD Audio and Music Talk" forum would be up in "a couple of weeks."
Old 08-29-01, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whew, I'm glad it looks like we might actually get a music forum.......now i can stop complaining to GK all the time about it.

A great place to discuss the likes of Radiohead, Tool, Bjork,
Tori Amos, Sigur Ros, Outkast, Travis, Coldplay, Fiona Apple,
Mary J. Blige, White Stripes and more!
Old 08-30-01, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Your ideas about music affiliate links is a great point too, maybe that will get Geoff on the ball. After all it's been a few months since he said the "DVD Audio and Music Talk" forum would be up in "a couple of weeks."
Seriously!

I hadn't even thought about buying books or music through dvdtalk. However, I have bought about 20 cds based off of recommendations this past year. I remember that when Geoff opened the book talk I did start purchasing more books and using his links.
Old 09-01-01, 12:32 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
also... a music forum would rule becuase I would post in it!
Old 09-01-01, 07:41 PM

I think we need a 'Petition' forum...Not really, but they sure are stacking up on the top of the 'DVD Talk' forum.

I know that these petitions serve a good purpose, and that they are about DVDs, but since they are to the respective studio, shouldn't they be in the 'Studio Talk' forum? I don't mean to hijack this thread or cause any arguments, but like I said, they sure are stacking up.

Just a thought...Either way works for me, that's what the scroll bar is for.

-Matt
Old 09-02-01, 11:04 AM
Retired

Music forum by end of september, sports will be looked into later

Here's Geoff's comments from a couple of replies in the "How about splitting the other forum" thread.

Originally posted by gkleinman

Also a while back, I promised to add a Music/DVD-Audio forum. I still plan to add this. Just have been focusing on bringing on a new batch of mods. After that's all done we'll get the Audio forum up..... Which I'll commit to having up by the end of Sept if not sooner.

(from another post by Geoff in the same thread)

We're just bringing on a good number of new mods. One of the issue of creating a new area is having the man/woman power to look after it. I've commited to the Music/DVD Audio forum area this month... Let's get that up and see where were at later this month.

If one of my new mods or old ones is interested in moderating a sports forum, and there's enough interest on the site, we can look at it...