Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

How about a Sports forum?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

How about a Sports forum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by twikoff
well...

we have a music forum now..

guess sports will be next?
My take on it is that sports is more of a current events type topic, which is the realm of Other. You don't usually have people discussing games that happened 5 years ago unless it's relevent to a current game.
Old 10-13-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
My take on it is that sports is more of a current events type topic, which is the realm of Other. You don't usually have people discussing games that happened 5 years ago unless it's relevent to a current game.
but its alot of current events.. and with a sports forum, I would bet there would be more talk on a broader realm, including historic games and such.. we try to limit that in other to keep the forum from becoming one dimensional (not that that could ever be possibly with that bunch of scrubs)
Old 10-13-01, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by strife
chitown care to fill the rest of us in. Brain does not compute
1. chitownabs is just laughing b/c he likes to laugh.
or
2. chitownabs saw the movie
Old 10-18-01, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by namja
2. chitownabs saw the movie
The movie is "Sneakers" ...
Old 10-18-01, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would favor it as long as it's limited to real sports. That means the NBA, NFL, WWF, and WCW would not be permitted to be discussed on the sports forum. And, of course, roller derby.
Old 10-18-01, 11:21 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by classicman2
I would favor it as long as it's limited to real sports. That means the NBA, NFL, WWF, and WCW would not be permitted to be discussed on the sports forum. And, of course, roller derby.
I second the vote for a St. Louis Cardinals only forum.
Old 11-01-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by AndyCapps

I second the vote for a St. Louis Cardinals only forum.
but there wouldnt be any point in chatting in it after september
Old 11-02-01, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How about a Lakers Forum? That would probably be the only thing to hold down the number of Lakers threads in Otter.
Old 11-04-01, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If anything, we should have a Flirting Forum, that way decent threads wouldn't randomly be taken over by two (or three) people blowing kisses at each other and flooding the page with smilies. That's the most irritating thing in the world to read, and it's frequently very sad.

Edited to add: I don't mind when it's just one or two posts. The problem is when it stretches to 10 posts and beyond, and when the same exact people keep popping up in thread after thread, seemingly at random. It makes me wonder how many people really do care about post counts.

Last edited by uberjoe; 11-04-01 at 03:24 AM.
Old 11-04-01, 10:38 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by uberjoe
If anything, we should have a Flirting Forum, that way decent threads wouldn't randomly be taken over by two (or three) people blowing kisses at each other and flooding the page with smilies. That's the most irritating thing in the world to read, and it's frequently very sad.

Edited to add: I don't mind when it's just one or two posts. The problem is when it stretches to 10 posts and beyond, and when the same exact people keep popping up in thread after thread, seemingly at random. It makes me wonder how many people really do care about post counts.

So, are you reporting these posts to the mods? Each post has a link to do so near the bottom right corner.
Old 11-04-01, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Dead

So, are you reporting these posts to the mods? Each post has a link to do so near the bottom right corner.
I would, if I thought it could actually change anything. I'm not saying the mods wouldn't do anything. I'm just saying that people would b!tch and moan that the "heart" of the Other Forum is being torn out. Also, I hate the idea of constantly ratting people out to the mods. Wouldn't a mod (you, for instance) get tired of getting little messages from the same person over and over again? And therefore start to ignore them?

If reporting will create a change, then I'll do it. I just want to know if I'll be affective at all first.
Old 11-04-01, 12:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by uberjoe

I would, if I thought it could actually change anything. I'm not saying the mods wouldn't do anything. I'm just saying that people would b!tch and moan that the "heart" of the Other Forum is being torn out. Also, I hate the idea of constantly ratting people out to the mods. Wouldn't a mod (you, for instance) get tired of getting little messages from the same person over and over again? And therefore start to ignore them?

If reporting will create a change, then I'll do it. I just want to know if I'll be affective at all first.

If you didn't notice, there was a thread about personal threads in The Other Forum recently. It also mentioned problems with thread hijacking. If the thread is supposed to be serious, then yes we will take action. If someone doesn't like the fact that we stop their hijacking, that's their problem.

As for ignoring reports from members... generally, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to who sends a report anyway. I just go to the thread to see what's happened. I suspect that the other mods act in a similar manner.
Old 11-04-01, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Dead

If you didn't notice, there was a thread about personal threads in The Other Forum recently. It also mentioned problems with thread hijacking. If the thread is supposed to be serious, then yes we will take action. If someone doesn't like the fact that we stop their hijacking, that's their problem.

As for ignoring reports from members... generally, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to who sends a report anyway. I just go to the thread to see what's happened. I suspect that the other mods act in a similar manner.
I noticed the sticky thread, but a lot of my intitial ranting was against even those threads that start off as flirt-fests. This got sort of lost in my post re-editing, though. Sorry.

And thanks, Dead. I'll start reporting it when regular threads go off on these "tangents."

Still, I don't think a Flirting Forum is an entirely bad idea. I know some say that pretend relationships (yeah, some eventually become real) add to the forum, but this only seems to be true for the small number of people who take part in them. Everybody else has to scroll through them to get to threads with more meat in 'em. So we can do that, or just change "Otter Farm" to "Single's Club" in the little forum description.

And so I get this thread on track from my minor hijack, I, too, would like a sports forum, but can't really see how it can be justified.
Old 11-05-01, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I wasn't so lazy I like to see how many threads have been started for specific games or teams. Have to be quite a few with the end of baseball and seems like some are starting for football and basketball. Seems pretty well able to justify it.
Old 11-05-01, 01:19 AM

Yeah, I tend to agree (especially right now) that a Sports Forum would be a pretty good idea. If you step into the Otter Farm, there are already atleast 6 threads on the first page alone with the words "Yankees," "D-Backs," or "World Series" in there title somewhere. Granted, you can't lump all of these together into one thread b/c all have something different about them, but really...it's pretty saturated right now.
Old 11-05-01, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think a sports forum is getting a little too far from what dvdtalk is here for. We're lucky Geoff is kind enough to allow the huge bandwith glut that is the Other Forum. There is an ebb and flow of sports threads in Other. Obviously there are lots of threads lately with the World Series, NFL and NCAA football, and MJ's comeback. At other times, there are far fewer threads. I don't think there are enough threads to support a whole forum. When there are too many threads in Other, the mods do a good job of consolidating.